Pajero Rear Door Weight Limit?

the_new_nomad

15 F250 | 99 Montero | 84 Avion | Tiger 900
I'm assuming no one knows the true weight limit, but I'm curious how many accessories people have mounted to the rear door of their Pajero without issue over the long term. I currently have a 33x12.5" spare mounted, and would like to add a 20L gas can and a drop down cook table (consider the weight of the grill/cast iron/water).

Thoughts?

b dkw1

Observer
Depends on your driving conditions. Similar to a Bronco tailgate, street driven ones last forever. Head down some washboard roads and a few hundred miles later the skin is separating from the door. This is why you see the swing out tire carriers mounted to the bumper.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
The hinges seem huge and overbuilt, but for me the problem is opening and closing the door with a heavy load on it. It gets weird even with a few bikes on it. I got hit in the back once when the door started moving silently on a very slight slope. Wasn’t cool. I think that’s the bigger risk, losing control of a overly heavy door if you aren’t parked flat. Be careful.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've had a 35" or 37" tire on my rear door and lots of off-road miles and the only thing to wear out was the foam door gasket. I have adjusted the door once to close tighter due to said gasket. Montero rear doors are sort of tougher than most but i like the thing shovel posted.

mudraider

Adventurer
That's a 37. The rack Carrie's a chainsaw offroad, and a 2 gallon rotopax. I cheated and filed the bolt holes on the tire carrier a smidge, so that the 37 rests on the bumper. You can feel it when you close the door, but it doesn't drag. And I've had that 37 on there for a couple/3 years and had it Florida off road a lot. That's lots of washboard roads and trails for you guys.
b22fa68ad15eef17e160ee25e2765c6a.jpg

Sent from my pretty good android phone

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've had three Montero's. I've had to replace a hinge on all three. (1991 2.0, 1998 2.5, and a 2002 3.0). I think the max weight is about 50 lbs less than the door weighs stock. LOL

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I've had three Montero's. I've had to replace a hinge on all three. (1991 2.0, 1998 2.5, and a 2002 3.0). I think the max weight is about 50 lbs less than the door weighs stock. LOL
I’ve replaced mine once, with salvage units, and have been lubricating them ever since with no new issues. I think if you keep oil on them they keep going.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...

You have a special kind of bad luck with these though, ha ha ha! I do think moisture plays a part though, I've had 24 Monteros and have never replaced a door hinge but i live in Az so there's that.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
On longer trips (8-10 days), I carry a five gallon Blitz can of fuel. (Trail buddies have extended range fuel cells)
I fabricated a mount on the rear door for the fuel.

The mounting points are solid, as well as the hinges.
In the past, after a summer of wheeling, I have readjusted the strike for the rear door.
It seems that after abusing it with the extra weight, it does move the strike down about an eighth of an inch. (I'm running 265/75/16 tires, so the tire weight isn't an issue.)
I would go the same route if I was doing it again...
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles