Lets talk shovels

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Disclaimer - C4500 Kodiak, so unlimited room and capacity

I like full-length shovels if the room is available as they have so much better reach and leverage. I carry two so twice the amount of digging capacity. Also 'mud' shovels are much easier to use in the mud. They have holes in the blade so you do not get the suction action and move less water. If you buy a 'mud shovel' they seem to be 3-4 times more expensive than the same 'normal shovel'. Being cheap thrifty I just drilled holes using a Rotabroach, about a 10-minute job. Also, I find that a hoe is sometimes much more useful to move sand out of the way. About 1/4 the work of shoveling. I took a $1 garage sale hoe and welded a larger blade from diamond-plate with some braces.
shovels.jpg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
How about this one? Does anyone have any experience with this model?

I see it’s currently on sale for 1/2 price. Some of the added tools seem like they’re designed and included for armchair adventurers, but the sharp edge, the different handle lengths and the adjusting shovel blade angle look somewhat useful.

DF6EF394-2D59-4AFE-A231-B7C050E7B1F6.png

old_CWO

Wow. 5 pages about shovels. And here I thought guys could jabber about sports endlessly.

I have a $10 fiberglass handle full size shovel from Harbor Freight. It has been used and abused with nary a whimper for at least ten years. The yellow fiberglass finish was looking a little faded recently so it got a quick sanding and spray bomb with olive drab paint that was in the cabinet. Now it's "tactical."

For $20 bucks you could own both the pointed and the square HF fiberglass shovels. Won't your buddies be envious...

dstefan

I think they discontinued it for some hair brained reason, but I've had the folding shovel from Barebones Living (shown below) for years, and it's one of my favorite pieces of kit. Plus it looks damned good.

View attachment 612239
Maybe not! Liked this so much i looked at the site, which says “back spring 2021”

Ive been using a cheap Home Depot D handle shorty and/my Dads old Korean war entrenching tool, which has a steel handle, depending on the trip (sand or not). This is a much better combo at a great price. Im getting one!

MNmtb

I guess sarcasm gets lost on the interwebs

I thought it was funny my shovel had a “Fragile” sticker on it

shovel is actually great

Reactions: mog

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I bought this shovel years ago and I’m too scared to use it
View attachment 620463
2e43c6bd9a91ff722d26dd2b87b83c9c.gif

It must be Italian!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thanks Ace, I was.

Interesting the amount of discussion over shovels. I have gotten a lot of info and since have decided that my 'D' handle shovel that I paid $25 for is OK. I do remember someone posting a shovel, maybe not on here, that was $300. That really spooked me that a shovel would cost that much and be fastened to a 4 when drive vehicle.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Thanks Ace, I was.

Interesting the amount of discussion over shovels. I have gotten a lot of info and since have decided that my 'D' handle shovel that I paid $25 for is OK. I do remember someone posting a shovel, maybe not on here, that was $300. That really spooked me that a shovel would cost that much and be fastened to a 4 when drive vehicle.
That’s how much real maxxtrax cost, and we don’t think anything about how everybody and their brother has a set or 2 of those strapped to the outside of their vehicle

MOAK

Adventurer
When I was 9 or 10 years old my grandpa said I'd better learn to use a shovel, you might have to use one for a living one day. Then he spent the summer teaching me. ( at 10 years old, mind you!) And, ya know what, later in life for about 4 years, I did use a shovel to make a living. Give me a Razorback shovel with a wooden handle any day. I carry a short D handled flat shovel now that is at least 20 years old. It gets used regularly. I've never seen the need nor had the desire to spend the money on any of the latest designer shovels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles