Understanding GVWR and slide in campers for half ton trucks.

Tjbell

Well, I am in the market for a used half ton truck, looking towards a 2015 to 2018 F150. I cant fathom how these can hold a camper, weight wise. Looking up the Payload capacity of the model I want is 1817 LBS. How on earth, can you add a slide in, 2 adults, 20 gallons of water, ~25 gallons of fuel, and food/gear and be under the GVWR? Am I missing something in this calculation? Most of the campers I see are in the 1075 lb to 1500lb range.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
GVW asside, I simply dont trust a non-full-float rear axle.

Ive broken too many :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, you are FAR safer overloading a 3/4 or 1-ton that uses a full float rear axle, than any half ton.

We roll at 12K regularly, with a 10k GVWR, and I have no issues with it.
By raw axle specs, we could load thing thing down to nearly 14k before we ran into trouble....

Only real mods Ive done to do it safely is add bags and high(er) capacity tires.

50343562841_db8b9aafea_h.jpg

tacollie

Glamper
As an owner of a slide in and a 1/2 ton. On the truck you looking at I would be more focused on the rear axle ratings. I'm over GVWR but I'm under the rear GAWR. I've never had an issue with how the truck handles.

That being said at 1800 lbs I would step up to a 3/4 or find a F150 with the heavy duty payload package.

T-Willy

Well, I am in the market for a used half ton truck, looking towards a 2015 to 2018 F150. I cant fathom how these can hold a camper, weight wise. Looking up the Payload capacity of the model I want is 1817 LBS. How on earth, can you add a slide in, 2 adults, 20 gallons of water, ~25 gallons of fuel, and food/gear and be under the GVWR? Am I missing something in this calculation? Most of the campers I see are in the 1075 lb to 1500lb range.

Exactly -- you can't and no, you're not missing anything.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I met a guy with a regcab fullsize Tundra in Anza-Borrego with a very modest hard sided camper. 8ft flush Six Pac or something similar. He was very upset with the handling,braking,acceleration and with the trans constantly hunting. The salesguy said "no problem". They'll sell you anything.

D

Deleted member 9101

Easy solution: find an F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Has the same payload as many 3/4 ton trucks.

David_h

Most of the campers I see are in the 1075 lb to 1500lb range.

My well appointed Hawk weighs 1600 pounds with basic gear, no food, no water, no jacks, and no toys. This is based on two trips to the truck weigh scales. I'd dream of a lighter camper however much of the weight is in the appointments which would be the same kit even if a lighter camper was available.

D

Deleted member 9101

The smaller the motor and the more options you add...the less you can carry.

Screenshot_2020-09-16-14-59-33.png

D

Deleted member 9101

Man if only there was some easy way to remember that half ton trucks are generally made to work best when carrying about a thousand pounds or less.

Waaaait a second... Were we transported back to 1985?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles