2018 4Runner rear brake pads worn out in 15K miles...twice! Is this normal?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I agree that there is something wrong.

But again, wearing out the rears faster than the fronts is pretty much the norm these days, with (over) active traction control.

Just not this fast

Perhaps the brake system is 100% up to snuff. Perhaps is not a hardware issue, but rather a software issue.

A computer reset or reflash might be needed.

dstock

Explorer
Hey all, thanks for all the input!

Here's the latest. The day after picking up the 4Runner, I went to back up out of our driveway and as soon as I took my foot off the brake, and started to move back, there was a clunk from the passenger rear brake. For those that are wondering, the parking brake was not engaged at the time. Also to note, the parking brake has nothing to do with the rear calipers/pads, it functions off brake shoes and a drum inside the rotor.

I crafted a carefully worded email to the Customer Relations person at the dealership and received a prompt call from them. The 4Runner will be going back in so they can spend more time looking into the issue and they are contacting Toyota Tech support for assistance. If there is truly nothing wrong with the caliper itself, then it very well could be a software issue, or possibly a combination of both.

I will post up once they take a look, due to some time constraints on our end, it won't be going back in for another week.

Thanks for all the help!

dstock

Explorer
The jeepJk's are know to wear out quickly due to this system. I put just under 60k on ours, a lot of those miles pulling a teardrop, before having to replace them. At 15k, something is wrong.

Very familiar with the JK and I've had the same experience, although I think I only got about 50k out of ours under similar conditions.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've had three 5th Gen's and not a single one required brakes of any sort in the first 30K miles. I'd say that you either have a parasitic problem in the driveline or you have a shyster mechanic pulling one over on you.

dstock

Explorer
I wanted to give an update for what it's worth.

The dealer went through the brake system again and found everything working perfectly. Shocking!! I figured that was going to be the result after the inane conversation with both the Service Advisor and the Shop Foreman. It was clear neither had read the email I sent describing what I had experienced and at one point when I was re-explaining for the third time what was going on I got from the Shop Foreman "well it's a heavy vehicle so the brakes don't last as long" I should have taken my keys back right then and there but I wanted a case number with Toyota while the vehicle is still under warranty. They also noted that since I live on a hill, that's probably the cause of the issue. Got to love dealerships! Needless to say, I won't be returning there for any service whatsoever. Funny, the hill doesn't affect any of our other vehicles and no one else I've been able to find on the interwebs in the dedicated 4Runner forums.

My gut feeling is the rear caliper was sticking and they missed it at the first 15k set of pads and so it continued to have an issue. Now they realize the mistake and don't want to fess up. I'll be checking the brakes myself every 5K so we will find out in the next 15k if it's them or us. I will look for some upgraded pads and rotors in the meantime because to be honest, regardless of the premature wear, the non-linear feel of the brakes is the only thing I dislike about the 4Runner.

If anyone has a particular pad or pad and rotor setup they like, please share!

For now I'm going to chalk this one up to incompetent or shyster mechanics in what is basically a widget factory.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’m ^ with Naters
Its really really hard to screw up a brake job. As in the half baked stoned kid can get the brakes done 98% of the time correctly. Something is goofy in either they never did anything the first time which I have caught dealers doing, something is goofy with the system or they actually found a way to screw up a brake job.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just know that Toyota rotors are generally very good stuff. My LC snd Sequoia both a bit hungry on brake pads easily 100+ 1000 on the original rotors in spec and smooth.

dstock

Explorer
I’m ^ with Naters
Its really really hard to screw up a brake job. As in the half baked stoned kid can get the brakes done 98% of the time correctly. Something is goofy in either they never did anything the first time which I have caught dealers doing, something is goofy with the system or they actually found a way to screw up a brake job.

I'm actually starting to think they did nothing the first time. We purchased the 4Runner from this same dealer and had a brilliant easy buying experience, but after reading some more Yelp reviews it appears the theme is great sales department, horrible service department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior