2003 Sportsmobile 7.3 4x4

Jredone

Hey guys, I have this posted in the online CL ebay forum as well but its been nothing but problems and scams so figured ill just posted up here.

Asking price is $70,000 but that is negotiable, so please read the full build before bashing the price.

Feel free to reach out with any questions. Shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers. I have a ******** load of photos so if you would like to see more let me know and i can send them over. Also if there is anything specific you would like to see I can take care of that as well.

I also have an Instagram for the van if you'd like to get a deeper look into the build and some of my recent adventures. @vanoverlandin

2003 Ford E350 7.3 4x4 Sportsmobile Poptop

Just rolled 100k miles
This rig is one of the few remaining RUST FREE 7.3 vans around.
Quigley 4x4 with agile RIP kit and fox steering stabilizer.
7.3 motor runs perfect. Hydra tuner with 8 different tune options from stock to 150hp race tune. I’ve only ever run the daily driver 65hp tune and 45hp tow tune. Averages 16-17.5 highway mpg fully loaded depending on driving habits.
Edge cts touch screen gauge with egt sensor installed pre turbo. 4 inch straight pipe exhaust with 5” tip. Loud but not too loud. Felt this was necessary in the van to keep egts as low as possible considering the lack of intercooler
2 new agm batts about one year ago. Oil changed every 5000 with rotella only, fuel filter every 10k.
I have Service history from the van since new along with all Quigley paperwork as well as Sportsmobile top install sheet.
Brand new glow plug relay just installed and brand new gear reduction starter just installed with a lifetime warranty.
Trans shifts perfect
Rig runs flawlessly

Starting up front, brand new Aluminess Front bumper housing a warn Vr12s winch.
Rigid light bar and Baja designs squadron xlr amber fogs Wired to SPOD under the hood. LED 5x7 headlights.

Out back is a Brand new Aluminess rear swing out bumper with bike rack mount swing (bike rack not included***), tire mount, Minimizer Poly storage box, Marine 5lb propane tank, and led rear lights wired to SPOD. Led brake, running, turning, and reverse lights. Outdoor hose connection which I used for an outdoor hot water shower. Back up cam mounted high up on the ph top

Moving up top. Entire roof (under penthouse top) has been professionally Line-x coated with a lifetime warranty from line-x.
Rhino rack roof rails mounted to penthouse holding 2x100 watt Renogy eclipse solar panels. WeBoost OTR antenna with folding mount. Maxxair fan, Fiamma F45 gutter mounted awning, both side and rear outdoor led campsite lights.

Exterior of van- paint is in great shape 8 out of 10. Entire underbody and frame has been sandblasted and coated with POR 15. 20 gallon fresh water tank installed in factory spare tire location to a Custom steel bracket bolted to frame so it is easily removable.
Welded rock sliders.
Bushwacker fender flares (no rust under flares)
Race line wheels with 80% Goodyear duratracs 285x75x16 (approx 20k miles). Rotated every oil change.

Interior- so much to list so I may be missing stuff. All custom build using PROPER material, not the mdf that you’ll see from Sportsmobile factory builds.
Driverside has a custom foldout gaucho with tons of storage underneath. Also houses 2 6v batteries for 230 amp hrs. 2000 watt renogy inverter/charger with exterior shore power hook up. From inverter there are 3 outlets throughout the rear of van. Renogy 30a charge controller to fuse panel which I have running all electrical on driver side of van. Multiple usb outlets, Weboost Reach signal booster (thing works amazing)
Larger than smb factory rear wardrobe with inside drawer and locking bottoms drawer on heavy duty slides. Kept all my expensive camera gear and power tools in here. Extra storage on top of wardrobe/closet. Sony vizeo flatscreen mounted to exterior of wardrobe on a locking heavy duty swing out tv mount.
Heavy duty Axe mounts under gaucho.
Custom Molle rear driver side door panel from Overland Gear Guy with magnetic window covers as well. Rear door aluminum window blank installed with exterior rotopax mount. Hidden Dual scuba cylinder mounts to house 45min compressed air cylinders for airing tires back up. Can fill all 4 tires from 25 psi to 65psi in about 5 mins. (Scuba Cylinders are not included***)
Some extra storage shelves to fill the unused space behind drivers seat.
Also ran a switch to run the radio from house batteries while vehicle is off. Also wired the option to run backup camera while the vehicle is off to keep eyes on the bikes and gear stored out back when stealth camping in those shady Walmart’s.
I’m sure there’s more but this is off the top of my head

Moving along to passanger side- entire galley structure is built from super strong and light 8020 aluminum extrusion. Reason being I wanted everything to be able to flex while driving off road and not have joints slowly deteriorate over time like wood does. Also wanted to keep the option open to changing the layout or move drawers/cabinets around if I chose to. It’s a giant customizable erector-set that can be changed, reused, rebuild and last forever. Counter top is a live edge slab cut and sourced locally from Willard Brothers Wood Cutters in Trenton, NJ. Its Black walnut treated and coated with marine uv resistant epoxy resin. Towards the rear is a fully functional sink with sureflo 12v pump wired to on/off rocker switch panel(which also controls outdoor lighting).
Led rotating light mounted above counter, led reading light/usb charger above sink and several other USB ports mounted within galley structure.
Arb 37 qt fridge on slide tucked in under counter top with storage shelf above and below fridge.
All cabinet hardware is stainless marine materials and all wood for cabinets is 3/4 birch plywood. Cabinet lining i used aromatic red cedar to keep any bugs out of my galley area. Also used tongue and groove cedar on the galley side wall. My sink and cooking is done on this side so a rot and bug resistant wood is what I felt would work best.
Driver side wall I used a beautiful reclaimed barn wood also locally sourced.

Entire van has been dynamatted from front to back. Walls doors floor cockpit everything. This is one of the quietest 7.3 vans I have ever driven.

3m thinsulate has been used throughout the entire van.

All windows have suction cup reflective/insulated window covers.

Up front are custom full covering coverking Molle seat covers, swiveling driver and passenger seats.
Sony Apple car play double din touch screen radio/backup camera.
Seats are in excellent shape under seat covers as well.

I know there is more that I’m missing.
Please feel free to ask any questions about my rig, happy to answer.
Countless hours and tons of money have been put into this build. Top Quality materials and properly maintained engine.

Just finished a 5000 mile journey around the country and the thing ran flawlessly.

I get a lot of questions as why I would even consider selling this. Sometimes life happens and a downsize has become inevitable. When this sells I will be working on a flatbed build so I have a rig to use for work as well as play. This rig is too nice to use for anything other than adventure.

This is kind of a feeler as I’m really unsure if selling it is the right move at this point. I still use this regularly as my mountain bike rig 3-4 times per week so mileage will increase.

I am flexible and I can remove certain things here and there to fit your needs and budget. Things can also be changed to your liking interior wise if you choose as well. Happy to accommodate anyone who gets to own this amazing rig

Cheers all and thank you for your interest

Only trades I would be open too are Flatbed diesel pickup trucks (preferably older low mileage 4x4 12valves) with or without camper shell. Obviously depending on what you have cash negotiations from either myself or buyer can be worked out
5A202987-CB09-48CA-A4BE-EB78B5B1442B.jpeg
15F768B2-CFB8-456E-A1C9-F25FA21B3D7E.jpegA7FC96AB-AB4D-4D0C-B068-305FA4352C45.jpegF3B1F394-BB0E-48EA-A4A6-D3B275AF6C34.jpeg5BE70E1D-1246-417C-BCA1-FB8CD9569789.jpeg829210DF-11E5-45AE-B017-6B921AFC23B0.jpeg9AAEA6E6-D23F-4C3B-9443-0C876C4DA61F.jpeg13D71841-8C77-4933-8E2C-45682C10A92D.jpeg359881DD-3C82-4015-9958-4F2A46AA0B5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Being a 7.3 Van owner myself, I can totally understand your want to trade for an older diesel pickup.

Working in the engine bay of a 7.3 van is a nightmare, a rats nest. Everything I touched in there was a money pit. Took a lot more in labor than parts. A diesel pickup is a heaven when it comes to maintenance access. Good luck with your sale.

Jredone

Being a 7.3 Van owner myself, I can totally understand your want to trade for an older diesel pickup.

Working in the engine bay of a 7.3 van is a nightmare, a rats nest. Everything I touched in there was a money pit. Took a lot more in labor than parts. A diesel pickup is a heaven when it comes to maintenance access. Good luck with your sale.

It definitely gets tight sometimes but working from the doghouse isn’t so bad, not as simple as older diesel pickups, but with some time and know how I find these motors pretty simple to work on. Have not spent a dime on labor.

I do prefer an older diesel. 7.3s and 12valves are very easy to get up and running if you ever have a break down out in the middle of nowhere.

mattlemoo

I dunno, having worked on both a pickup 7.3 and the van 7.3, they both had their quirks but I've always felt the 7.3 was a remarkably easy engine to work on. Thats having done glow plugs, injectors, random sensors, oil cooler, etc. The really tough stuff on the truck is a breeze from the doghouse on a van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles