1992 Dodge W250 Cummins / VW Vanagon Abomination *MAY CAUSE BLINDNESS*

Karmann Vandiego

The plan (I like using that word incorrectly) for the grill is to fill the extra space by way of quad headlights. This would be combining 2 grills to make the long version. Instead of joining 2 grills at the middle, I would add headlight blanks to the outsides of the factory grill.

Again, this is a bar napkin build. Everything is up to interpretation, and sometimes I cant read my own handwriting...

Karmann Vandiego

Yesterdays task was to remove the original body mounts from the frame, and mock them up in their new position.
FB_IMG_1599540441493.jpg

Once that was complete, the body halves were slid into their final position. This is how it should sit when everything is fully welded back together.
FB_IMG_1599540433030.jpgFB_IMG_1599540436309.jpgFB_IMG_1599540438929.jpgFB_IMG_1599540443910.jpgFB_IMG_1599540446113.jpgFB_IMG_1599540448347.jpg

Originally, I thought I would have to swap an automatic transmission in place of my standard, but now it's looking like a linkage to shift through the gears should be pretty easy to fabricate.

Next I will be trimming the vans front frame section for clearance of the suspension/steering.

ITTOG

I think I would have to do some work on the body before I worries about drivetrain, suspension, etc. Maybe that is just what I am most interested in.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Karmann Vandiego

I appreciate the kind words of encouragement! I must say, it is really cool to see people get excited about this build.

I think I would have to do some work on the body before I worries about drivetrain, suspension, etc. Maybe that is just what I am most interested in.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Rest assured, body work is in the very near future. The main concern at the moment is:

Will the front section of the Vanagon frame remain in place, or will it need to be relocated in order for the steering box and shocks to fit back onto the truck frame.

Once the frame fitment is satisfactory, then the body work can begin! It looks like my initial guess of 10" wider is looking more like 12".

Standing by to see how you get the steering worked out...

As of now, it looks like my original idea is still a winner. The steering column will run forward into the input of the first beveled steering box. The output of the first beveled steering box will run towards the rear in the input of the second beveled steering box. The output of the second beveled steering box will run forward into the original truck steering box.

Confused yet? ??

Stay funky, friends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles