Tundra Fox 2.0 vs Bilstein 6112 (now including Ironman PFC and Falcon shocks)

Hanzo

So starting to look into lifting my RCSB second gen Tundra and I think I’ve narrowed it down to these two options.

1: Fox 2.0 Coilovers in front with 2.0 remote reservoir shocksDeaver AAL in back.
2: Bilstein 6112 in front with 5160/Deaver AAL in back.

I like both theses front options because of the top mounts (stock bushing style instead of solid), their price point, and the companies reputations. The 6112s have a larger body but for my needs I think the linear valving of the 2.0s might be better.

Basically I am looking for a suspension to level out my rig and be a comfortable and confident ride. Something that can handle Michigan’s crappy roads, wash board dirt roads, and forest/seasonal tracks. I do not need something to do prerunning in and I’d like to not feel every bump and divot on the road.

wondering who has experience with these options and their thoughts on them. Thanks all!

the kid

Juke Box Hero
The the larger truck I would get the larger shock... I'm not a fan of either of those companies for their customer service and or lack thereof, but I would always get the bigger shock to deal.with the greater weight

rruff

Explorer
Think I'd favor Ironman over either. The Pro struts have two spring options, are rebuildable, and have adjustable preload. The full kit is $2k, including rear leaf springs. I see they go on sale for ~$1600 sometimes.

ironman4x4-toy071bkp-fcp-lift-kit-hr__51855.1597959285.jpg

Hanzo

From what I’m seen the Ironman kit has solid top mounts, I’d would like to avoid that for general daily driving. It’s my understanding that having OEM style top mounts have less NVH for a daily. Is my thinking correct there?

tacollie

Glamper
I have the Fox 2.0 with resi in the rear. They are ok. They are soft which may work on a regular cab.

I have the 2.5 radflos in the front. I really like them but next time I would buy something with oem style rubber.. If you're on a budget I've had good luck with Toytec Boss 2.0. I'm also a huge fan of OME.

I haven't had 6112 but I would choose Fox 2.0 over anything Bilstein. I really disliked my 5100s. All 3 sets I had rode like crap and wore out in 20k miles.

Hanzo

I have the Fox 2.0 with resi in the rear. They are ok. They are soft which may work on a regular cab.

I have the 2.5 radflos in the front. I really like them but next time I would buy something with oem style rubber.. If you're on a budget I've had good luck with Toytec Boss 2.0. I'm also a huge fan of OME.

I haven't had 6112 but I would choose Fox 2.0 over anything Bilstein. I really disliked my 5100s. All 3 sets I had rode like crap and wore out in 20k miles.

planning on purchasing the 2.0s from Accutune if I go that route, they offer free custom valving to dial in the ride. https://accutuneoffroad.com/

I had OME on my 80 and it was “meh” to me...

tacollie

Glamper
planning on purchasing the 2.0s from Accutune if I go that route, they offer free custom valving to dial in the ride. https://accutuneoffroad.com/

I had OME on my 80 and it was “meh” to me...
Suspension is funny. We all like different things. Get the Fox from Accutune. My biggest complaint with my Fox is valving. Accutune fixes that.

I have the Icon expansion pack in the back. It's a good option for a small lift. I'm really happy with mine.

Hanzo

Suspension is funny. We all like different things. Get the Fox from Accutune. My biggest complaint with my Fox is valving. Accutune fixes that.

I have the Icon expansion pack in the back. It's a good option for a small lift. I'm really happy with mine.

What you running for tires/psi? Stock UCAs?

rruff

Explorer
From what I’m seen the Ironman kit has solid top mounts, I’d would like to avoid that for general daily driving. It’s my understanding that having OEM style top mounts have less NVH for a daily. Is my thinking correct there?

If by solid mounts you mean no rubber isolators, it looks like it has them.

Direct replacement for the OEM mounts, contains all mounting hardware*, durable natural rubber bushes and insulators. Features heavy duty washers and self locking nuts.
  • Fully OEM Compatible
  • Shore A 80 Duro NR Bushes & Insulators
  • Heavy Duty Washers
  • Glenloch Nuts

the kid

Juke Box Hero
The Ironman foam cell pro would be the best bet by far if you wanted something with rubber bushings. I have personally run them and beat on them ie jump the truck over railroad tracks and at the sand dunes, while the ride is not as cushy as say Icon's or King's, the steel construction is much more robust and will take much more abuse. And the shocks are not under pressure like your typical shock so cooling isn't as big of an issue. I'd still be running the foam cell pros had I not gotten a set of Icons for free brand new. -fwiw I kept the foam cell pros and won't get rid of them that's how much I like them.

I have run Fox, Bilstein, OME, ToyTec, Radflo, and Icon as well, I won't ever put Fox or Bilstein anything on any of my trucks again. It will stay stock before I'd use their products. The Ironman kit is a hard kit to beat for the money, and I would have recommend them, but you stated the options were between those too so I chose the larger of the two options listed.

rruff

Explorer
...the ride is not as cushy as say Icon's or King's...

Wondering what details you've noted regarding the ride. Where/when do they feel less cushy? If I get them it will be for a loaded Tundra (overloaded actually).

the kid

Juke Box Hero
Wondering what details you've noted regarding the ride. Where/when do they feel less cushy? If I get them it will be for a loaded Tundra (overloaded actually).
Honestly it wasn't a night and day difference. When I made the switch I was commuting over 100 miles a day so I spent a fair amount of time in the truck. It was more or less little things like cracks in the road surface, or irregularities in the road (tree roots causing bumps, patches from potholes ect.). I the Icons definitely soaked up more of that and made them much less noticable but it wasn't as big of a difference as going from the Bilsteins to the Ironmans by any means. That was a major difference in multiple ways. Like handling -cornering and braking, and overall ride quality.

The Ironman foam cell pros will by far out perform any 2.0 shock out there and will last longer doing it. And unless you are dealing with a set of race spec Bilsteins you won't come close to the performance there either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles