Tree saver straps

I’m in need of a couple tree saver straps. ARB 16ft can be bought for ~$60. Is there any reason to spend more money on stronger, rigging type, continuous loop, slings? ARB only lists the breaking strength as 26k pounds and I’m assuming that is in basket configuration. If I use the standard 5:1 WLL that means that the WLL is only 5200 pounds. I know that rigging equipment ratings are premised on overhead lifting, but my 12.5k winch on a double line pull could theoretically hit 25k of pull, which doesn’t leave much margin on a 26k MBS strap. Not that I think I will really ever pull 25k.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Complete guesses here, but I’m guessing the breaking rating would be in a single straight-line pull. You could always double up the saver straps, it wouldn’t exactly double the rating because you don’t have lab conditions, but it would spread the load and help.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
ARB only lists the breaking strength as 26k pounds and I’m assuming that is in basket configuration. If I use the standard 5:1 WLL that means that the WLL is only 5200 pounds. I know that rigging equipment ratings are premised on overhead lifting, but my 12.5k winch on a double line pull could theoretically hit 25k of pull, which doesn’t leave much margin on a 26k MBS strap. Not that I think I will really ever pull 25k.
Complete guesses here, but I’m guessing the breaking rating would be in a single straight-line pull.
Being sold as a tree saver it's possible the rating is 26,000 breaking in basket. No matter, though, rated rigging would be clear whether its a single leg/vertical or other rating. There's also no guarantee of a 5:1 design factor unless it follows the ASME standard.

Just searching from the link @BlindingWhiteTaco includes a U.S. Cargo 3" 1-ply nylon sling carries a 4,700 lbs vertical rating or 9,400 basket so following ASME it would have a single leg breaking of 23,500 lbs, which puts the ARB tree saver in the same ball park.
I’m in need of a couple tree saver straps. ARB 16ft can be bought for ~$60. Is there any reason to spend more money on stronger, rigging type, continuous loop, slings?
One reason I suppose to use traditional rigging is they follow a standard and you know design and test ratings, part of which is to put a tag on it that says so.

Polyester-Round-Sling-Red.01.jpg

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Most of my recovery gear is traditional rigging. I get 4" 25' nylon slings from work when the start to fray. I will put several wraps around a tree to make a "tree saver" without too much extra stretch.

These also work great for a "snatch strap" or "bubba rope." You can pin the loop on the end right into a 2" receiver hitch. No matter how bad someone is mired, I've never failed to extract them with this method as long as I can get close enough to get a "run" at it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles