Should FWC's Swift & Fleet be marketed towards Tacomas?

tacollie

Glamper
FWC are heavy for Tacomas. People get away with running them all the time. I have no problem with FWC on Tacoma or FWC marketing for Tacomas. The Colorado and Ranger have higher payload ratings and arguably better suited for FWCs. Loaded up for trips we are over GVWR. I have never had issues with body roll or brake fade on our Tundra.

It is more important to stay under the axle ratings in my opinion. I don't know about the current Tacomas but my 09' had 500lbs of axle load over the GVWR. My Tundra has 1050lbs.

Most modified Jeeps, PowerWagons, and Toyotas are over GVWR without a camper. Nobody seems to care if you put plate bumpers, 37s, winch, sliders, and Jerry cans on a Jeep but if you put a FWC on a Tacoma it's a public threat.

We are going to replace the Tundra with an 3/4 ton because we want to build a tray with storage boxes. That will put us over the axle ratings and I don't feel good about. I question why we feel the need to build a tray for more storage but that's the plan....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@tacollie - it's like Toyota is daring you, isn't it? If you load the rear axle to 3,110 lbs you probably would have to remove the hood, factory splash plates and strip the interior to stay under GVWR.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 11.33.29 AM.png

DaveInDenver

It's that why you pulled the electric windows?
To be precise I *want* to pull the power windows but the donor regular cab base model I found had been T-boned so the driver's door parts were unusable. Since my windows channels are in need of replacement this issue is quickly getting forced and I might have to stick with the power windows in the end! How many people in the world want to *downgrade* their trucks? Stupid boy.

rruff

Explorer
I believe there's margin in the Tacoma ratings to some extent but I think the reputation for being very overbuilt is a legacy of the older 79-95 Hilux/Truck/Pickup. IMO they also tolerated being overloaded with less stress to the vehicle relatively.

My '86 had the same payload as my Tundra; 1400 lb. The Tundra weighs 2x as much and has 3x the power. I don't know what the payload rating is based on, but it isn't reality. The Tundra can handle that load much more easily.

DaveInDenver

My '86 had the same payload as my Tundra; 1400 lb. The Tundra weighs 2x as much and has 3x the power. I don't know what the payload rating is based on, but it isn't reality. The Tundra can handle that load much more easily.
Yeah, I dunno. I'm sure regulations, insurance and litigation have impacted the ratings over the years. Also our ancient mini trucks couldn't get out of their own way to hold 80 MPH on the Interstate with a million distractions in the infotainment systems so when you were carrying 1,400 lbs you were very aware of it so a "high speed" lane shift isn't exactly an apples-to-squirrels comparison between the two trucks.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Possibly. Not legally though. I think my truck can handle more than it's rated for as well. Just wouldn't be legal. Which is why I'm debating 3/4 ton next time around.

bkg

Explorer

uh... I'm not sure I can agree...

beef tits

For all their faults, Tacomas at least haven't had any bending in half issue. At least before they rot and collapse anyway.

And to be fair the corrosion thing I suspect isn't an engineering issue but rather a business one (cost-cutting). I bet if asked Chikuo Kubota (chief engineer, it was still designed in Japan) would probably have started zinc dipping them in the 2nd gen to solve it once and for all. The 3rd gen, I dunno though, the Chief Engineer is Mike Sweers here in the U.S.

Any documented cases of one cracking in half?

Fords rot just as easily, they simply do not run as long as a toyota does. Something else will kill a Ford long before it hits the mileage it takes for a Toyota to rust apart.

The original point regarding frame rot is moot.

beef tits

If you find yourself in an accident horrendous enough that the authorities are checking your total GVWR, you’re going to be dead and it doesn’t matter.

If you load up a pop-up camper In a small personally registered truck and the rear end isn’t dragging on the ground, no one is ever going to check your GVWR either. It won’t happen. It doesn’t matter.

Long hail truckers, commercial ¾+ ton trucks, etc? It DOES matter. They get checked all the time.

DaveInDenver

Any documented cases of one cracking in half?

Fords rot just as easily, they simply do not run as long as a toyota does. Something else will kill a Ford long before it hits the mileage it takes for a Toyota to rust apart.

The original point regarding frame rot is moot.

7EmYC8y_mid.jpg

unnamed_mid.jpg

The question wasn't about Fords, it was about Toyota. The frame limited service campaign is currently up to 2017 (under the ZKA program), keeping mind this debacle has been going on since 1995. Toyota might be the least worst, I dunno, but seriously you think it's acceptable a 3 year old truck should be rotting to the point NHTSA is involved?

Last edited:

Ducstrom

If you find yourself in an accident horrendous enough that the authorities are checking your total GVWR, you’re going to be dead and it doesn’t matter.

If you load up a pop-up camper In a small personally registered truck and the rear end isn’t dragging on the ground, no one is ever going to check your GVWR either. It won’t happen. It doesn’t matter.

Long hail truckers, commercial ¾+ ton trucks, etc? It DOES matter. They get checked all the time.
It does happen in BC. They've got portable scales and they'll set up road side and pull in anything that looks questionable, including truck campers.
Seen it most around hunting season near the large urban centers

Florida Native

There's nothing illegal in the USA for running over GVWR or GCWR. What they do care about are the highway axle load limits, which are so high that no RV (or none but the very largest) will get anywhere close.

Nothing illegal about a Tacoma carrying a FWC.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
To be precise I *want* to pull the power windows but the donor regular cab base model I found had been T-boned so the driver's door parts were unusable. Since my windows channels are in need of replacement this issue is quickly getting forced and I might have to stick with the power windows in the end! How many people in the world want to *downgrade* their trucks? Stupid boy.

Have you felt the manual windows in the second gens? They feel flimsy to me. My electric ones always worked even after getting poured on when I left the windows down. I would say take the easy route but I don't think that applies to this conversation

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne