Can I safely tow this loaded cargo trailer PLUS keep our camper in place?

LosAngeles

Does the truck have the stock tires and wheels?

Does it have any suspension modifications?

Yes the weight includes me, and only i would be going on the trip

i have the upper TorkLift StableLoad so the overload spring (top one) is always in action. a bit.

stock wheels and tires BUT they are the E range tires to get the higher lb capabilities. as built. SRW.

no other mods.

thx

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
Can I safely tow this loaded cargo trailer PLUS keep our camper in place?

Pardon my ignorance but I want to do this safely and figure this out. I’m sure the wise people here can guide us.

Yes, I’m aware that the door stickers “cargo” is referring to what is IN the truck, not including towing….. (correct?)

I am driving a 2020 F350.
*Always* on the back is a truck camper.

I want to do a long road trip and on the way back, I’ll have a uHaul 6x12 Cargo Trailer Rental behind.

Inside it will be 250 cubic feet of household goods, that weighs about 1,800 lbs….. so a smaller uHaul wont fit the goods and also wont be rated for 1,800 lbs cargo (the next size smaller i could jam in 250 cubic feet, but would be overweight. I can’t be overweight for reasons I wont go into)

(Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25”) from the Uhaul website.

With all of my camping gear, food, clothing, water, gas, propane, etc. I do know the F350 + our camping trailer is 11,300 lbs.
I know this # as I went onto a truck scale nearby and had it weighed, wet and loaded up.

So the *empty* weight of the Uhaul 6 x 12 cargo trailer is: 1,920 lbs..

so the total weight of the whole rig would be
11,300 (truck and camper, wet)
1,800 (my household goods I am picking up)
1,920 (the empty cargo uHaul)

total = 15,020 lbs.

Yes, I want to camp as I go on this trip. (I’ll have to figure out long pull thru sites, of course, to camp at, as I’ll be long.)

So firstly - is this safe? doable?

and… in the picture attached just ignore the hitch steps I currently have (in the blue oval) - those obviously wont be there during the whole trip.

Secondly - the truck camper hangs off the back about 20” approx….
would I hitch right at the stock hitch?

I suspect it would be best to not use a hitch extension…. (because of leverage) and just hitch right at the usual place.

Does this look workable? Would I have enough safety capacity to tow my cargo?

I have a 6.2 gasser with the new 10 speed transmission, 4.3 back end, and i’m 100% confident that I’ll have enough grunt to tow…..

My concern is just total weight, and safety. (and how safest to hook up the cargo trailer - with or without the hitch estension?)

and… I’ll need to buy a 2.5” shank, 2” ball mount to fit into my F350 - any suggestions?

thanks!!

Here is the Uhaul 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer.

Those turnbuckles are at a pretty extreme angle...do you have anything additional tying the camper down vertically?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Last consideration: Will your route take you over state borders or through standard trucking lanes?

Whether or not you can make that tow Safely (and whether U-Haul will greenlight you) is obviously the most important consideration. However, if you can be reasonably sure you'll be crossing a weigh station or checkpoint, you'll also want to be careful about being Legal.

I know a lot of folks scoff at mildly exceeding GVWR or CGVWR by saying "there's a safety margin" or whatever. However true this might be, the local law enforcement can definitely ruin your trip if you pull through a weigh station and are found to be over the limit. Stuff you can get away with when staying local is one thing, but since you specifically mentioned a long trip and one-way tow, it raises the issue...

another_mike

Adventurer
Last consideration: Will your route take you over state borders or through standard trucking lanes?

Whether or not you can make that tow Safely (and whether U-Haul will greenlight you) is obviously the most important consideration. However, if you can be reasonably sure you'll be crossing a weigh station or checkpoint, you'll also want to be careful about being Legal.

I know a lot of folks scoff at mildly exceeding GVWR or CGVWR by saying "there's a safety margin" or whatever. However true this might be, the local law enforcement can definitely ruin your trip if you pull through a weigh station and are found to be over the limit. Stuff you can get away with when staying local is one thing, but since you specifically mentioned a long trip and one-way tow, it raises the issue...
Even California’s laws state if the Pickup trucks RATING isn’t more than 11,500... it doesn’t need to stop unless it’s in commerce.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles