E Rated AT Tires

billiebob

going to Yoko's site they only make those in two sizes and doing a quick qoogle search seem pretty hard to even get them. what is your build date code on those? as that is not a size they show currently available. probably a pretty tough tire to get replaced on the road if needed.
I shop at Kal Tire, they are overnite delivery with them. Bought 5 in August, 2 in March, will be buying 2 more next month. But you are right, they don't show up in any online searches here either. One of the reasons I changed the trailer to the same tire, so I technically have 3 spares. Altho in 40 years I have only had 4 flats.

I was considering 235/85R16s because those are sold/stocked everywhere but the 7.50R16s are taller and skinnier.... which is my goal. Overnite delivery works for me.

Reading the comment about loud tires, these Yokohamas are the loudest tires I have ever had, likely because the outer tread is a straight cut.

phsycle

Adventurer
I had Revo 2’s and they were excellent on road. Good road manners. They were a notch below in snow compared to KO’s but you already have winter tires.

GoinBoardin

Observer
FYI, it is far from that simple.

There are plenty of load E tires that max load/inflation @ 65PSI

Just look at the inflation tables you linked to. (starts at about page 29)
Ha, yeah nevermind. I guess I hadn't looked beyond 16" wheels and made some assumptions. Just when I thought some general rules applied.. Oh well

Co-Opski,

Whenever I come on this site or others like it, I never know if the " recommendations " being made are by dealers or company reps. of the brands they represent.

That being said, I am sure most of the folks on this site are giving there honest option.

However, when I was looking for a tire to put on my Silverado Sunrader TC before going down to S. America in 2014 I read Consumer Reports.
( They take no advertising and are recognized as being the most unbiased testing / review services in the USA. )

They rated the Cooper AT3 as the best all around AT tire. I bought them.

Down to the tip of S. America and back not one flat, I have since put this same tire on my 1993 Dodge Sunrader project and my 2011 E350 Adventure MH Still no flat tires on many tough roads. In addition, they are one of the best values of any AT tire if you buy them online.

I am not a dealer, shareholder, nor do I have anything to do with the Cooper Tire and Rubber Company.

But, I am an American. The fact that this is one of the last tire companies that is based in the USA and builds this tire here is important to me.

Here is a good article on the subject if you want to learn more;

Safe travels,

billiebob

80 PSI maximum pressure; which is considered 10-ply rated.
6/8/10 ply construction was 1970s terminology, while several people still use that analogy for C/D/E ratings, there is no direct comparison. Tire technology and construction today has nothing to do with the 1970s.

XJLI

Adventurer
I have 60k on my 285/70-17 E BFG AT KO2s on my 1500, probably another 20k left at least. They're a little greasy when the road is first wet after a rain and are starting to get a little noisy, but no complaints otherwise. They do it all.

However, when I was looking for a tire to put on my Silverado Sunrader TC before going down to S. America in 2014 I read Consumer Reports.
( They take no advertising and are recognized as being the most unbiased testing / review services in the USA. )

Down to the tip of S. America and back not one flat, I have since put this same tire on my 1993 Dodge Sunrader project and my 2011 E350 Adventure MH Still no flat tires on many tough roads. In addition, they are one of the best values of any AT tire if you buy them online.

Oddly enough, on my Discovery I blew two sidewalls on AT3s and they SUCKED in the rain. But that could have been running an E range tire on a truck that wasn't heavy enough. Grip off road was great though. That was when every article on this site was praising Cooper, so there was an obvious flow of money coming from them.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have had several sets of Toyo AT2 in 265/70-17, 285/70-17, 285/75-17 and 35/12.5-17 in E load and just put on a set of AT3 in C load ie 35/11.5-17 and being I only put them on Tuesday I have only put about 150 miles on them my first impression is they are loud. they replaced a set of ST Maxx in 315/70-17 D and they are louder than those and I also run a set of Falken at3w in 255/80-17 E and they are louder than those as well. I am hoping with a few more miles they quiet down but that has not been my experience in the past.
You went from E's to D's and now C's? What vehicle do you drive?
Co-Opski,

Whenever I come on this site or others like it, I never know if the " recommendations " being made are by dealers or company reps. of the brands they represent.

That being said, I am sure most of the folks on this site are giving there honest option.

I am not a dealer, shareholder, nor do I have anything to do with the Cooper Tire and Rubber Company.

But, I am an American. The fact that this is one of the last tire companies that is based in the USA and builds this tire here is important to me.

Safe travels,
There's always WuHan tires from the country that brought the world's health and economy down.
Co-Opski,

Safe travels,
Thanks. I've run Toyo's for 15 yrs and never had an issue with balancing. That's the only thing I hear about Coops is a balancing issue. My friend's had great luck with them but has had balancing issues. I never got a flat for 20 yrs the last few years but in the last five I've had a few. Rubber vs the elements doesn't fair well some times. We all enable the CCP when we buy their products. It pretty unavoidable. Whenever possible I try to not fund the government that nearly brought down the world's economies and the health of it's populations.

jadmt

ignore button user
You went from E's to D's and now C's? What vehicle do you drive?
I have run C, D and E on Jeep Wrangler JK's and JKU's. If you knew how many sets of tires I have had you would think I was certifiably nuts....I have generally loved Toyos but this last set were a bit disappointing as loud and harsh for a C load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles