GMT900 Suburban/Yukon XLs today

MarcusBrody

I just moved West (Las Vegas area) and am looking for a family adventure vehicle that handles washboard/rutted BLM roads better than our Transit Connect.

I searched the forum and found a thread from 4 years ago on the GMT900 (10th gen) Suburbans, asking why they weren't used as expedition vehicles more often. The group opinion at the time seemed to be that 1. They weren't as easy to modify as the previous gen 2. They were still too expensive for the tinkerer crowd to want to trim wheel wells on and weld new bumpers to 3. This being the case, they lacked good aftermarket support. Someone mentioned that 10k seemed to be the magic number where previously more civilized vehicles started to be turned loose on the wild.

Well 4 years have passed since then and I'm looking at at 2008 Yukon XL with the 5.3 and 113k on the odometer listed for around 8k. It's not the Denali, and looking at dash switch pics, it appears to have 4hi/lo.

So what is the group opinion now? Have more folks started to build from GMT900s (I saw the threat from maybe 2 years ago on the 2500 edition, but I'm pretty sure this is a 1500).

Am I going to want to immediate change the suspension to maximize it's rough dirt road cruising potential? And have people settled on the best way to do so?

The truck is a bit of a drive from me, so I'd see if I could get a PPI before I'd drive down, but is there anything that I should be looking for in particular.

buellconvert

Go over the front suspension and make sure that it's tight, that seems to be the weak point from my experience. I have a 2016 Silverado 4x4 with 60k and I just had to change out both upper control arms due to bushings and ballpoint wear, so that's something I'd pay close attention to.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Bob Boyer

Hi Marcus,

Not sure how much help this may be but I'm in the process of getting a 5.3L 4WD 2011 Suburban LTZ ready for some off-road travels. Bought it two months ago with 231,000 miles on it, a slow leak from the radiator, and a blown air ride suspension. Moog HD rear springs and Bilstein 5100s have it sitting a couple of inches higher and solved the suspension issues; a 3" thick aluminum radiator went in and new wheels/tires were installed. Other than that, just a major tune-up and differentials/transfer case/power steering/brake fluid replacement along with a full transmission service. Not sure if your BLM roads are any rougher than NFS roads back east, but the Bilsteins control the washboard roads in the Tellico watershed just fine for my taste. At 65, I'm not planning any more "hold my beer" moments so perhaps my setup doesn't have to be Baja 1000 tough. Take that for what it's worth.

In another life, I got really excellent service from a 4WD 1995 Tahoe which I should have kept - it went 250k for me before I got talked out of it. As noted above, I pretty much had to replace the front suspension. That all happened between 90 - 100k miles, as I recall. Otherwise, the thing was bulletproof. I'm hoping for the same from this one.

Oh, one other thing - I added a DiabloSport AFM override module to keep all 8 cylinders working full time on this Suburban. Not a fan of AFM/DOD systems. I figure when this engine finally goes (and I have no reason to expect it to do so for some time to come), I'll just drop a non-DOD 6.0L in and call it done.

MarcusBrody

“Build?” LOL. Buy it, drive it. Way too much time and money spent on “builds,” not enough on the “get out there” side.
I had read that the stock suspension wasn't that great on these for things like washboard and given I'm looking at 100k plus examples, I suspect that a lot will have suspensions that need replacing in any case.

And I'm currently out there in a Transit Connect, but at 60k I've already replaced several axles for ripped CV boots or worn bushings, have the protective felt hanging off the bottom from not paying attention to a forest road and a relatively small rock, had a sliding door stop working from massive amounts of dust, am missing one hubcap, which rattled loose on washboard, and - most importantly - on our last adventure, my wife complained and asked if we could maybe do a little less dirt road driving as her back was getting sore from the jostling. Before the Transit Connect, I had a cot in my Honda Fit (which also lost its plastic underbelly armor). And just an hour ago I was driving back from Lake Mead National Recreation Area on some roads that advised a 4x4 in my '98 BMW 318ti (but picking my way through at 5-10 mph . So, I completely agree with you that people should just get out there, but my family and I have been spending a lot of time getting out recently, and the shortcomings of our current vehicles is what is driving getting another vehicle and setting it up to handle the stuff we've been doing better (plus allowing us to get to things we've had to turn back from in the van).

MarcusBrody

Hi Marcus,

Not sure how much help this may be but I'm in the process of getting a 5.3L 4WD 2011 Suburban LTZ ready for some off-road travels. Bought it two months ago with 231,000 miles on it, a slow leak from the radiator, and a blown air ride suspension. Moog HD rear springs and Bilstein 5100s have it sitting a couple of inches higher and solved the suspension issues; a 3" thick aluminum radiator went in and new wheels/tires were installed. Other than that, just a major tune-up and differentials/transfer case/power steering/brake fluid replacement along with a full transmission service. Not sure if your BLM roads are any rougher than NFS roads back east, but the Bilsteins control the washboard roads in the Tellico watershed just fine for my taste. At 65, I'm not planning any more "hold my beer" moments so perhaps my setup doesn't have to be Baja 1000 tough. Take that for what it's worth.

In another life, I got really excellent service from a 4WD 1995 Tahoe which I should have kept - it went 250k for me before I got talked out of it. As noted above, I pretty much had to replace the front suspension. That all happened between 90 - 100k miles, as I recall. Otherwise, the thing was bulletproof. I'm hoping for the same from this one.

Oh, one other thing - I added a DiabloSport AFM override module to keep all 8 cylinders working full time on this Suburban. Not a fan of AFM/DOD systems. I figure when this engine finally goes (and I have no reason to expect it to do so for some time to come), I'll just drop a non-DOD 6.0L in and call it done.

Thanks, that's really helpful! I've spent a lot of time on NFS road back east, less so on the FS and BLM stuff out here. So far my impressions are that stuff out here is a bit rockier and often more blown out, but there is a lot less mud rutting. And the sections of rough dirt road are just a lot longer. Things that are tolerable for 5 miles are less so for 50. Particularly for my wife.

XJLI

Adventurer
Watch out for AFM issues, mostly. The early 900s had the good 'ole 4L60E as well, so that trans is known not to hold up to abuse. If you can swing a later one with the 6 speed (2009+ IIRC) that'll be the ticket. Expect typical GM issues; rattles, creaking, etc and weird electrical issues that are fixed with replacing cheap switches and buttons with even cheaper replacements. Run through the 4x4 selector switch a few times and often to make sure the shift encoder motor is still up to the task... again, another cheap fix if it isn't.

Otherwise, the front end is the same as the same year 1500 pickups, and your suspension options are limitless for that front end, from mild to bat ******** long travel. Find some H2 rear springs, throw on some front coilovers and UCAs of whatever flavor you prefer and price point you are comfortable with and match with rear shocks. You only need 2-2.5" lift to get 35s under there with some creative trimming if you wanted... 285/70-17, 285/75-17, and 34x11.5-17s are all options but the 33-34 probably is best for the front end. If you end up with numerically low gears, stay with 33s. The G80 rear locker helps as well.. it isn't perfect but it does the job. A spare set of tie rods is cheap insurance too, just in case.

That's pretty much it, the best part about these platforms is they're cheap as hell to run and don't take much to get a decent size AT tire on em. Once you start getting silly with 35s and larger, blowing CVs and the front end apart, etc, they get cost prohibitive because the mod limits of the platform are pretty hard. You can do anything to anything, but if more hardcore stuff is the goal, its better to start with something else. My Silverado isn't something I love getting into every day, but it's impressed me with where I've squeezed it. The V8 helps, since I never have to worry about not being able to just spin my tires clean until they find traction somewhere.

MarcusBrody

Thanks, XJLI, that's really helpful! I might hold out to see if I can get one with the 6 speed (and hopefully a bit less AFM issues). I don't have any plans to highly modify this truck when I get it, just make sure that the suspension set up works well for driving minimally maintained dirt roads at a reasonable clip (and putting in a small lift if needed). I probably won't get to 35 in tires. 32-33 in range is what I was thinking if I did end up with one of these. Probably a bit of protection under the body.

Really I'm still pretty open platform wise. Suburban/Tahoes are pretty plentiful around here and apparently are fairly cheap to run (except for fuel), but I'm basically just looking for truck that excels on dirt roads and has enough space for a reasonable amount of camping gear (my Kodiak Canvas tent isn't small) with the first two rows taken up by human and canine passengers. I'm hoping to hit 15 mpg combined, which is another reason I'm looking at the GMT900s rather than earlier versions and trying to keep things pretty stock.

jupp0r

I switched from a Ford Expedition to a RAM 2500 due to the limitations of the platform and lukewarm aftermarket support. Wouldn't a truck with a camper shell also fulfill your needs? I was sceptical at first (two kids, third row was nice), but I would never go back from a truck platform (unless you absolutely need the third row).

MarcusBrody

I'm totally open to a truck with a camper shell. My wife likes them a little less, but she'd get over it. In my area at least, though, they seem to be a bit more expensive and/or more likely to be beaten up/jacked way up on a cheap life and big wheels. I'm keeping my eyes open though as I think it would complement the van well in utility.

jonathon

8k is cheap. My only concern would be the valve train. AFM lifter failures are common, I had an 08 Vortec Max (6.0 L76) that needed a cam and lifters at 66k. Nice truck other than that. 2011 and newer trucks have fewer incidents of lifter failures but it still happens infrequently. I wouldn’t fret a 4L60E that has been maintained and hasn’t towed too much.

A Suburban would be great with a level and some slightly larger e rated tires. There are some garbage drop bracket lifts but those aren’t well suited to anything but mall crawling.

XJLI

Adventurer
I see 19 highway no problem with my 05 1500 on 33s. Go straight to a Burb or Yukon XL if you want more interior space. There is no mileage penalty, just some extra wheelbase. GMT800 trucks are simpler if you can find one with ~150k or less in good shape. You don't need to worry about rust out there thankfully. No AFM issues with the older trucks and don't let the 4L60 scare you, mine was taken care of and shifts hard and fast with 171k, and a good trans shop can rebuild it to handle more neglect for ~$3k with their eyes closed.

Heading Out

Adventurer
I've got a 08 Silverado 2wd and an 08 Suburban 4wd, and both have been great. both
go on FS and BLM roads also to tow my 20 trailer.

The Suburban is huge inside and hauls camping gear with ease. It's big outside too
so that is a consideration sometimes, but overall it goes where ever I want. It is old enough
now that when it needs tires I may do a small lift and go to 33's
Both do about 16-17 MPG depending on how their driven, both are 5.3L.

The Silverado is an extended cab reg bed. I don't care for the way the rear doors open.
it's sort of awkward in tight parking spaces. other than front fenders grill etc. it's the same
as the 'Burb. one thing is the truck bed has a cover and fills up with lots of dust on dirt roads,
so if you want your stuff to stay clean it's a consideration.

Neither go on tight trails I use the Jeep for that.
Wheel and tire choice really change the way these trucks drive.
These trucks do fine in the desert dirt roads.

Everything is controlled by the computer in these trucks, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I just moved West (Las Vegas area) and am looking for a family adventure vehicle that handles washboard/rutted BLM roads better than our Transit Connect.

I searched the forum and found a thread from 4 years ago on the GMT900 (10th gen) Suburbans, asking why they weren't used as expedition vehicles more often. The group opinion at the time seemed to be that 1. They weren't as easy to modify as the previous gen 2. They were still too expensive for the tinkerer crowd to want to trim wheel wells on and weld new bumpers to 3. This being the case, they lacked good aftermarket support. Someone mentioned that 10k seemed to be the magic number where previously more civilized vehicles started to be turned loose on the wild.

Well 4 years have passed since then and I'm looking at at 2008 Yukon XL with the 5.3 and 113k on the odometer listed for around 8k. It's not the Denali, and looking at dash switch pics, it appears to have 4hi/lo.

So what is the group opinion now? Have more folks started to build from GMT900s (I saw the threat from maybe 2 years ago on the 2500 edition, but I'm pretty sure this is a 1500).

Am I going to want to immediate change the suspension to maximize it's rough dirt road cruising potential? And have people settled on the best way to do so?

The truck is a bit of a drive from me, so I'd see if I could get a PPI before I'd drive down, but is there anything that I should be looking for in particular.
Mine worked well for exploring.... It was stock too. No build. Well.... Mother nature removed the low hanging front air dam for me....

1078691_10201310563113649_79273165_o.jpg

MarcusBrody

Thanks for all the info. The truck I was looking at before sold before I could get down to look at it, but there was a 2009 2500 posted yesterday that I sent a message about, so we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94