Tacoma vs 4Runner TRD Off-Road

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
so you're talking a 24'+ length travel trailer at that weight... I'm not buying it.

Well you obviously have no idea what you’re taking about so we can leave it at that.

An 18 foot trailer can weigh 4000ish pounds with a 1500 pound payload. Sooooo that fits right in with what I said

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
You literally said the 4.0 is used in cars. Its cool tho, Toyota best ever one and only.

I literally didn’t say the 3.4 was used in cars. But it’s cool though jeeps are made in murica and all. I meant the gr engines are used in cars. My bad should have been more specific.

Well I got a lot of good information prior to the tow talk, so all good on my end.

I know it's a tough decision but you really can't go wrong either way.

One thing to consider is turning radius. If your living in a more urban place and will be navigating smaller parking lots/alleys/etc the shorter wheelbase of the 4runner can definitely be a benefit in regards to turning radius (4runner turning radius 18.7', tacoma 20-22').

Dalko43

Explorer
You know the 4.0 is used in cars as well? People said the same thing about the 3.4 it was the greatest engine.
The gr family of motors is used in cars. I never said anything about the 5vz. You just assumed I did.

The 4.0l v6 (1gr-fe) is not used in any Toyota cars, at least that I'm aware of. Only SUV's and trucks. It produces more torque than hp, which is usually an inherent trait sought out in truck-specific engines.

The 3.5l v6 (2gr-fks) was initially designed/developed for car use...it's mainly used in car/CUV platforms. The only exception is with the Tacoma. It prioritizes hp over torque and delivers most of its grunt at higher RPM's compared to the 1gr-fe. With the manual (and 4.30 gearing) the low-end grunt is adequate, but not as good as the 1gr-fe IMHO.

For heavy loads, towing, and general 4x4 use, I think the 1gr-fe is a better engine...my subjective take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles