FourWheelCamper VS Vagabond Drifter (Pop up camper)

migx333

I wanted to get people's opinion on something:

I wanted a set up for the occasional 2-3 month cross country trips from

California to:

Alaska, Canada, New York, Baja California Sur.

And I do want to hit intermediate and semi-technical trails in between these long trips and also would use it to go camping often. I do want a permanent set up that I wouldnt take out of the bed of my truck.

With that being said, would you guys recommend going with the Vagabond ALuminum pop up shell to help save a TON of weight (around 1k pounds less than the FWC set up), or go with the FWC set up and get airbags, heavy duty springs. But i was wondering if taking that wheeling would be too much weight and could be a liabillity?

Obviously the FWC would be much more comfortable and spacious, but wanted to see people's experience taking these things out with them when they wheel.

38snubby

I would give these a serious look, and they just came out with a new flatbed model....

migx333

I would give these a serious look, and they just came out with a new flatbed model....

wow that’s impressive.
I skimmed through the post and couldn’t find a Price. Do you know how much these are fully loaded?

shmabs

Explorer
Hi there,

Recent Vagabond Drifter owner here, on a 2007 double cab Tacoma, I have some time in a FWC Kestrel on a 1st gen Tundra, but not a ton.

Weight; the vagabond will indeed be much lighter to start. I would give serious consideration to what you're going to add to the Vagabond camper (fridge, toilet, water tanks, interior build out etc) and put together some numbers to see how much the weight difference may narrow. Depending on which FWC you get will depend on what amenities it comes with, and will dictate the starting weight of the FWC.

Size: depending on which FWC you get, the width and height may be substantially larger on the FWC, this will be a hindrance on tighter trails.

Ultimately it is probably going to come down to some sort of compromise; do you want the light weight and simplicity of a drifter, or all the extra's (including weight and size) that might come with a FWC.

If I didn't have to have 4 real doors, I would very likely have a 1st gen tundra and the smallest/lighest FWC I could fit on there, probably an eagle.

migx333

Hi there,

Recent Vagabond Drifter owner here, on a 2007 double cab Tacoma, I have some time in a FWC Kestrel on a 1st gen Tundra, but not a ton.

Weight; the vagabond will indeed be much lighter to start. I would give serious consideration to what you're going to add to the Vagabond camper (fridge, toilet, water tanks, interior build out etc) and put together some numbers to see how much the weight difference may narrow. Depending on which FWC you get will depend on what amenities it comes with, and will dictate the starting weight of the FWC.

Size: depending on which FWC you get, the width and height may be substantially larger on the FWC, this will be a hindrance on tighter trails.

Ultimately it is probably going to come down to some sort of compromise; do you want the light weight and simplicity of a drifter, or all the extra's (including weight and size) that might come with a FWC.

If I didn't have to have 4 real doors, I would very likely have a 1st gen tundra and the smallest/lighest FWC I could fit on there, probably an eagle.

Excellent insight
And great points you bring up

this is my build out in my truck cap. So tbh it’s ready for the vagabond already.
1598329063674.jpeg
One of my main concerns is also when it’s time to sell it, it seems that the FWC is so Much easier to sell

the FWC does seem much more comfortable and also a much better place to work since Id work remote in these trips

shmabs

Explorer
Nice setup! I don't think you would have an issue selling either the FWC or Drifter, thanks to instagram and the pandemic, they're both hot commodities. The lead time on a drifter is over a year....

I was looking for a while for a used drifter and only got mine by blind luck (and a 1600 mile round trip). A drifter (or nomad) for a tundra is a little bit more specific, but I would still anticipate it being easy to off load if you needed. The issue would be either waiting the lead time for a new one, or trying to find a used one, I don't think I've seen a single used one for your truck come up yet.

Your truck is probably already heavy with dual swing outs, bed build out etc....I understand why you're considering weight savings.

What about the FWC Project M? Or the Adventure Trailer offerings? I look at the project M as a mid way between a drifter and a full on FWC Hawk/Kestrel etc....

migx333

Nice setup! I don't think you would have an issue selling either the FWC or Drifter, thanks to instagram and the pandemic, they're both hot commodities. The lead time on a drifter is over a year....

I was looking for a while for a used drifter and only got mine by blind luck (and a 1600 mile round trip). A drifter (or nomad) for a tundra is a little bit more specific, but I would still anticipate it being easy to off load if you needed. The issue would be either waiting the lead time for a new one, or trying to find a used one, I don't think I've seen a single used one for your truck come up yet.

Your truck is probably already heavy with dual swing outs, bed build out etc....I understand why you're considering weight savings.

What about the FWC Project M? Or the Adventure Trailer offerings? I look at the project M as a mid way between a drifter and a full on FWC Hawk/Kestrel etc....

yes it’s very rare.
I actually put in my order a few months ago and my build date was supposed to be in December but it got pushed back to March 2021 due to the pandemic. Another reason why I’m also thinking of the FWC.

but you’re right, I do value the Offroad capability and IVe already been in some trails that would’ve been hard to squeeze in if I was any wider (even if these 1st gen tundras have almost the same dimensions as the new gen Tacoma’s)

Definitely a hard decision.
Have you done any intermediate / technical trails when you had the FWC on your Rig?

shmabs

Explorer
Have you done any intermediate / technical trails when you had the FWC on your Rig?

The tundra and FWC aren't mine, they belong to a close friend. Coming from an 80 series land cruiser, 4th gen 4runner, and 1st gen taco, the 2nd gen already feels big to me. I've done some tighter/technical trails with it before I had the camper, and I certainly need to get used to the size. I've been out on some tighter roads with the drifter, and it's nice know that if the front fits, the back will too, you just have to pay attention to the height.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I honestly don't think I would spend my money on a new camper* (slide in or flatbed) if it wasn't from Overland Explorer.

*I'm talking about the $35k and under market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94