Jeep Gladiator 'Farout' Is The Ultimate Family Camping Truck

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
Not a lot of details in this article, but I like where they're heading with the concept.

https://carbuzz.com/news/the-jeep-g...ZFreGcYG7cI6MTZrdERaIqC1YTVsOhPSqE0omFHxfaMAs

Jeep has just built one heck of a "bug out" vehicle in the new Jeep Gladiator "Farout" concept: a capable, diesel-powered truck designed to take you as far as possible out into the wilderness, and stay awhile.

742165.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Waiting to see interior photos. Based on what I know about who's doing the work, I expect it to be done to a very high level of finish, but the real question is whether the Gladiator bed really offers enough space for "family camping".

ThePartyWagon

Waiting to see interior photos. Based on what I know about who's doing the work, I expect it to be done to a very high level of finish, but the real question is whether the Gladiator bed really offers enough space for "family camping".

As long as the Habitat bed (mattress) length is the same as the rest of the Habitat options, this should give you the opportunity to sleep 2 up. With the optional additional bed panels, you can sleep 4 adults in most Habitat configurations. This would put 4 up top for sleeping and retain the entire bed length for storage or a build out. Whether that is enough room for "family camping" is not my call but I could see myself with using this platform as a small family camp configuration but we wouldn't plan on being inside the truck much. I'd like to think we're all still going camping to spend time outside.

D

Deleted member 9101

What am I missing, why can't you use it in the South East? What's unique to the South East camping environment that makes this set up less functional?
No A/C ...lol. Trying to sleep in a small space, with no A/C is absolutely miserable most of the year down here.

Plus, the fabric/canvas/vinyl sides would be no fun with our damn near daily thunder storms.

mrsooner

It’s frustrating that they are advertising that MPG with this concept. With that weight and size, it wont get higher than 18 IMO.

billiebob

Kinda looks like my overlander project ...
Pentastar does a good job but
Wish I get same payload with diesel.. ?
I prefer yours, looks about perfect. And I do think the JT, JKU are ideal for a family of 4 who really want to go off road.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
No A/C ...lol. Trying to sleep in a small space, with no A/C is absolutely miserable most of the year down here.

Plus, the fabric/canvas/vinyl sides would be no fun with our damn near daily thunder storms.

Yeah this is the most annoying thing about living in the south. Camping anywhere around here is miserable for those of us who don't like sweating through the night from April or May through October.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah this is the most annoying thing about living in the south. Camping anywhere around here is miserable for those of us who don't like sweating through the night from April or May through October.

That's why I either toss a window unit in the tent....or use a travel trailer...lol.

Hersbird

It’s frustrating that they are advertising that MPG with this concept. With that weight and size, it wont get higher than 18 IMO.
They didn't say THIS truck gets 28 mpg, they say they started with a truck that gets 28 mpg. I personally don't think it will take mileage as low a 18 mpg, there are guys towing small Airstreams with the Ecodiesel that get that or better. Most people also beat the 28 EPA rating on a stock ecodiesel, as the EPA is tough on diesel ratings. Diesels are the one thing most people beat the EPA rating on, not end up way under. I'd bet this setup gets 23-25 mpg on the highway especially if you keep it under 70 mph. Low speeds it will do even better as there will be little aero penalty and the torque will just idle it around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles