Tool Overkill?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Along with some misc. hardware parts. I only bring tools to fix things what may fail and reasonably able to fix roadside.
For example, Rodbearing repair, no.
Fuel clog or starter connection, yes...
Along with is regular maintenance and condition inspection, things dont go wrong unexpectedly.
Further, Things like hose clamps & brackets. Make effort to position them for easier access with non optimal tools rather than cleaner appearance.
Another example, my fuel system bleeders can be opened with wrench, pliers or flat screwdriver.
That's my approach, too. Bring tools, spares and recovery so that it's about managing expectations of what might fail on the trail, what you're actually going to rig up a fix and keep going verses limp to an exit plan B of finding a mechanic or shop. I think the original point about if you need it at home then bring it would mean unique manufacturer special service tools that a general mechanic might not be likely to have. But even then unless you're traveling in really remote places where you'd really have to be self sufficient that just means you need to find a bigger town with a dealer, which you'd probably need to find the parts anyway.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
OK, as promised - the current kit. Part 1:

Most of the tools (and some other odds and ends) live in this drawer/box that latches under the bench seat/bed.
IMG_20200812_122318.jpg

Here's the drawer pulled out - handles on both ends so I can carry it to the work. Warning triangle and consumables like JB Weld, Hose tape, etc. not called out, but live in here too.
The L-shaped tube is a piece of scrap that serves as a prop for the bench-seat cover and doubles as a cheater-extension for the breaker bar.
IMG_20200812_123954.jpg

Here's just the main tools and Bogert Safe-Jack kit piled up
IMG_20200812_123750.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Part 2:

The contents of the Bogert Kit (30lbs) - Bottle jack adapters and extensions and a baseplate to use same as a jackstand
Tire patch kit and digital torque meter also live in that bag.
The bottle jack itself lives in the cubby where the factory scissor jack used to live.
IMG_20200812_122613.jpg

The three main tool bags (~23lbs):

The first roll is cutters, drivers, allen/torx sets, etc.
IMG_20200812_122937.jpg

The wrench roll is the Metric set, plus a couple of SAE for fasteners I know I've added, plus adjustables and channel locks.
IMG_20200812_123145.jpg

The socket set - 3/8 shallow and deep, 1/4" shallows, and a rail with the few needed torx drivers and 1/2-drive sockets, wobblers, etc.
Combo 1/4"/3/8" extension ratchet, 1/4" hex bit ratchet (surprisingly useful) and adapter to use with it with 1/4" sockets
The big socket on the green ratchet is for the lugs, etc. (not stored in this bag.)
More extensions
Breaker bar
IMG_20200812_123352.jpg

Electrical Kit (~3lbs) - this lives in a different spot (mostly for space)
Spare fuses, Multimeter, strippers, crimper, and Speedo programmer
Spare batteries for meter, small zip ties, shrink tubing, tape, and a bit of spare wire
IMG_20200812_124250.jpg

Other stuff (not individually weighed):
Hacksaw + blades
Factory lug wench/ratchet kit (including the tool for the tire winch) and pump handle for the bottle jack
Coupling nut on the left is a 22mm nut so I can drive the tire winch tool with the lug socket and ratchet from above - much more convenient than the factory tool
IMG_20200812_123622.jpg

I have not included stuff that would otherwise be classed as "recovery" gear. Things like Viair compressor, Factor55 Hitch Link, snatch and tow straps, etc. live elsewhere.

Last edited:

billiebob

the only things that have been duplicated into the van are items like screwdrivers, pliers, etc.
sorry, the tone I got was load up the drill press and welder and grinder.....
I thought it was "Jonathan Hanson's writings on his tool kit" that I was commenting on, never intended it to be taken as a personal assault.
Not dumping, just adding an opinion.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
So as in my original post, I may need to do as BritKLR suggests and set aside some quality bonding time to go through the rig fastener-by-fastener, but I think at a baseline I can probably safely lose the shallow 3/8" sockets, any of the redundant 1/4" sockets, and verify if I can lose some combination of 21mm socket/wrenches.

The hacksaw seems iffy, but doesn't weigh much.

Honestly the biggest single item is the bottle jack and safe-jack kit. Swapping back to the factory jack, adding an axle adapter, and maybe a baseplate or some cribbing could maybe save 20lbs right there.

kwill

Observer
Yeah, it doesn't seem excessive to me and losing a few hand tools or a bunch of the electrical connectors won't save any appreciable weight. I used to carry the exact same jack setup and just never needed it. That is probably the place to save weight. Of course, as soon as you do you'll find yourself in a position that only a bottle jack can solve. :)

D

Deleted member 9101

I carry 1/4 and 3/8 metric sockets, metric wrenches, a couple of screw drivers, couple of sets of pliers, and tire plug kit. Everything major that would cripple my truck if it failed would require a trip to the parts store...which would sell/loan any additional tools that I would need.

I know that I'm not going to be doing a wheel bearing on the side of the road or a u-joint in the middle of a field... So why pack for it?

jgaz

Adventurer
I don’t think what you’re carrying for tools is that bad.
Maybe, as you said, the leave out the shallow 3/8 sockets if you can cover the smaller sizes with your 1/4” drive set.

If you are looking to cut down the number of tools you might replace some of the screw drivers with a multi bit screwdriver but that is kind of a personal choice. Add in visegrips, gotta have visegrips.

Along with my multibit screw driver I do carry a long standard and Phillips screw driver.
Oh, and I carry a big ass screw driver just because.

IMO opinion I think you’re on the right track by ditching the safe jack stuff. A saddle for your scissors jack seems like the easiest way to save the most weight.

I made this kit before I retired and know that it’s HEAVY
A03D8E96-89BA-4A7E-A9B3-E71A2ED411B8.jpeg

Last edited:

slomatt

Adventurer
Years ago I carried a full Craftsman socket set along with a full toolbox and a jack stand. There was one occasion where drill and a screw extractor were useful, but the vast majority of the time this was just excessive weight and wasted space.

Since then I've worked to reduce my tool kit down to what I find to be necessary for my Toyotas, with the addition of a few lightweight items such as torx sockets that are useful on other common vehicles.

I use the factory bottle jack with an adapter so it can be used on the axles (red item in this picture) and carry a lightweight plywood base plate so the jack doesn't sink on soft surfaces.
IMG_5567.jpg

The tools all fit in one medium sized bag. Sockets and wrenches are all metric, with "offsizes" such as 13mm which can be used as a 1/2" if needed.
Not included in this picture are a JIS screwdriver and locking pliers that I've recently added.
Looking at this picture made me realize that I have some redundancy in the pliers.
IMG_5569.jpg

I also have a box under the driver's seat that contains various emergency repair items. This picture is a bit out of date, but shows the main items. I've got a list somewhere if anybody is interested in the details.
IMG_5571.jpg

The toolbag fits in my drawer along with the recovery gear.
IMG_5563.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Funny timing on this thread. Just last night my wife and I were getting ice cream. We always take her car because its smaller and nicer and easier to park around town but this time I was parked behind her so we hopped into my truck. She looked in the rear of the cab when we got home, stared for a few seconds, and then asks me "You have a brand new truck, why do you have all of this crap in here?" lol. Of course, by crap, she meant tool bag, recovery gear, my carton of just in case stuff, a medical bag and a few other misc items.

The only one I could convince her was necessary was the med bag, everything else her response was "call AAA"

outback97

Adventurer
Here's my minimal tool kit:

IMG_2416-xterra-tool-set.jpg

IMG_2414-xterra-tool-bag.jpg

All the pictured hand tools, except for the breaker bar, fit in the small canvas bag. Yes, they're inexpensive tools, many from HF, but they've worked fine for my needs.

I also carry tire repair and recovery gear, and some small mission critical sensors and parts, as well as generally useful camping stuff (bow saw, hatchet, hammer, etc.) but these live in the storage well under the rear floor.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Funny timing on this thread. Just last night my wife and I were getting ice cream. We always take her car because its smaller and nicer and easier to park around town but this time I was parked behind her so we hopped into my truck. She looked in the rear of the cab when we got home, stared for a few seconds, and then asks me "You have a brand new truck, why do you have all of this crap in here?" lol. Of course, by crap, she meant tool bag, recovery gear, my carton of just in case stuff, a medical bag and a few other misc items.

The only one I could convince her was necessary was the med bag, everything else her response was "call AAA"
Yep, I keep a first aid kit as well. Stuff to boost a battery and change a tire. Those things are easy and are quicker to do myself than waiting for a tow truck.

Anything beyond that...... That's why I pay for road side assistance.... And it's more than likely going to require a tow to the shop anyway.

drrobinson

Part 2:

The three main tool bags (~23lbs):

The first roll is cutters, drivers, allen/torx sets, etc.
View attachment 604973

The wrench roll is the Metric set, plus a couple of SAE for fasteners I know I've added, plus adjustables and channel locks.
View attachment 604974

The socket set - 3/8 shallow and deep, 1/4" shallows, and a rail with the few needed torx drivers and 1/2-drive sockets, wobblers, etc.
Combo 1/4"/3/8" extension ratchet, 1/4" hex bit ratchet (surprisingly useful) and adapter to use with it with 1/4" sockets
The big socket on the green ratchet is for the lugs, etc. (not stored in this bag.)
More extensions
Breaker bar
View attachment 604975

Electrical Kit (~3lbs) - this lives in a different spot (mostly for space)
Spare fuses, Multimeter, strippers, crimper, and Speedo programmer
Spare batteries for meter, small zip ties, shrink tubing, tape, and a bit of spare wire
View attachment 604978

Some ideas for lightening up:

Exchange the folding Torx keys for a bit set to use on your 1/4 driver and socket set.

Exchange all your screwdrivers for a combo 4 in one screwdriver. You might consider adding a JIS screwdriver. Standard Phillips cam out like crazy.

Consider striping your socket sets down to 1/4 and 1/2 inch only with no overlaps in sizes and only sizes you need for your vehicle. If you think you really need u-joint adapters, try replacing you extensions with wobble extensions instead. Speaking of extension, consider pairing back to those you know you need. Add a 1/4 driver handle for sockets and a bit driver adapter. Dump the breaker bar, use your pipe, but make sure your 1/2 ratchet is really good quality and that the pipe fits ;).

Strip your combo wrenches down to just the common sizes you need. You have an adjustable for anything weird you run into.

Leave the speedo programmer at home. Not an “emergency repair” tool. But add a Bluetooth code scanner, unless you have another way to get/reset codes (best 3 oz in my kit).

Leave the digital torque wrench at home. I appreciate the desire to properly torque, but for emergency repairs, calibrate you arm and be conservative. Properly torque at the earliest opportunity.

Consider dumping your hacksaw for a hacksaw blade holder and one spare blade. It’s a pain to use, but hey, we are talking emergency repair, not daily use.

Dump the handle for the jack. Use your ratchet handle if it works.

See if you can consolidate rolls in your newly lightened kit to take out more weight in containers.

Best of luck. Love to see how this thread develops. You got me scrutinizing my own choices, which is a good thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles