2020 F250 7.3 10 spd rear diff order question

coastalcop

The videos of the 7.3 towing are pretty cool. It destroys its gas powered competition.

And its fuel economy...... if you can say that with a straight face driving a 7.3 . Im getting around 13.5 right now but the motor is still breaking in, while my c7 vette got around 25 at 90mph. Course the vette wasnt a 5000 lb brick shaped object punching a hole in the air ;)

jadmt

ignore button user
You can get a 6 year 100k warranty that covers heavily modified motors and it's cheaper than an extended warranty from the dealership. ;-)

yea sounds good on paper but in the real world when you are in BFE try getting the only Ford dealership in the region to do anything for you. Every one I know who has had a non factory warranty ends up fighting like crazy and then getting used parts.. no thanks on a new engine...

Skinhyfish

Observer
whole new animal" came at a cost, in both expense for the swap and MPG.

Went from 8mph with lift camper and towing, back to 12mpg. Also stays in overdrive better. Pulling a long hill it drops to 4th or 5th not 3rd like before over working. I will recoup my cost because my transmission will last longer and be happier. It never gets warm like it did before. Also my stop and go is way more peppy which is better for Offroad when trying to climb over obstacle. Doesn’t have to rev high to get power. Just crawls nicely. Over all drivability is just way better. Not one negative thing except install. Got mine done with gears for $2200. Best money I have spent on a truck ever. Don’t knock until you try it;)

D

Deleted member 9101

yea sounds good on paper but in the real world when you are in BFE try getting the only Ford dealership in the region to do anything for you. Every one I know who has had a non factory warranty ends up fighting like crazy and then getting used parts.. no thanks on a new engine...

Why use the dealership? The warranty I bought when I tuned my truck will pay damn near any shop to do the work. The absolute last place I would take my truck is the dealership...haha.

carlo muro

And its fuel economy...... if you can say that with a straight face driving a 7.3 . Im getting around 13.5 right now but the motor is still breaking in, while my c7 vette got around 25 at 90mph. Course the vette wasnt a 5000 lb brick shaped object punching a hole in the air ;)
If you’re getting 13.5 then you’re within 2 of my 7.3 diesel. You’re burning a much less expensive fuel too, at least where I live. So I’d say you’re doing really well. Back in the day our neighbor had an old school 4 X 2 Chevy dually with a 454 built for torque and a non locking 3 speed Turbo 400. He’d get 5 with a horse trailer. That was one of the big things that made diesel pickups catch on.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sounds like the wrong truck for that boat and trailer. Isn't that more like F350DRW land?

If it fit's within the F250's tow window, 4.30 and 37's is going to suck a bit. 4.88 would be optimal. 35's on 4.30 might be a much wiser solution for you.

D

Deleted member 9101

I wish TFL Truck would do a side by side comparison of the 7.3 vs the 6.7 Stroke. Time them up the Ike. Same trailer. Let the gasser have the 4.30’s. My guess is the Powestroke wins. By less than 30 seconds.

5 Star might change that outcome.

That would be really interesting to watch. We all know that the 6.7 will win...but by how much is the question. 30 seconds for the 6.7 sounds right...and for most people that 30 seconds isn't worth 10k extra and more expensive maintainence.

Here is the 7.3 pulling 16,000 up Ike.

jadmt

ignore button user
Why use the dealership? The warranty I bought when I tuned my truck will pay damn near any shop to do the work. The absolute last place I would take my truck is the dealership...haha.
do you have a 2020 F250? I would only use a ford dealership for warranty work. You have your new 7.3 blown up or your new 10sp blown up you are not having gomers garage put it back together.

D

Deleted member 9101

do you have a 2020 F250? I would only use a ford dealership for warranty work. You have your new 7.3 blown up or your new 10sp blown up you are not having gomers garage put it back together.

Sorry bud...but this isn't 1967...lol. Blowing a new 7.3 or the 10R140 isn't going to happen with out some seeeeeeerious abuse. Far more abuse than a tune alone will be able to muster. In the event that someone does manage to grenade them... Neither is complicated to replace.

Also... dealerships aren't exactly the pinical of automotive excellence when it comes to repairs.

I have a 2017 F150 with a 2.7 running a BCB tune, BBK TB, Stainless works down pipe, and Mishimoto intercooler... I wouldn't go anywhere near a dealership if something broke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Gomers can fix a trans. Dealers can only replace them. Most of the best technicians go to work for themselves. Better pay, and they can refuse jobs that they hate doing. The remainder, actually like being at a dealer. But they ain't the majority.

99% of failed transmissions at a dealer were just a small electric part, or a leaky pump. The trans was fine. They just swap the whole thing, that's all they do.

Like J said, you ain't going to kill one. But you might be able to get a small control part to fail, and they'll tell you the whole thing is bad. It's a core shops dream. People are sending back perfectly good transmissions as cores.

Grassland

I'm just thinking about that time I wish I had taller gears...
Oh wait, I never have.
What I have done is lamented that I didn't get shorter gears or that the manufacturer didn't offer anything shorter than 3.73, and that re gearing my current truck is money I don't want to spend.
Gm being a prime example "oh hey u want 3.08 or 3.42?" How about 4.10 chief?

Last edited:

yfarm

Observer
Pretty much decided to go with 315 70 17 or 35 12.50 oems are 245 75 17 Michelins which are a 31.5” tire by specs. Hope to use the stock steel wheels which are 7 1/2 wide with 40mm offset. Most of that size spec a minimum of a 7 1/2” wheel. Looking at Falken or Toyo AT
I’m used to 13 mpg in my 6.2 Raptor so anything in that range I’m fine with.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
You can get a 6 year 100k warranty that covers heavily modified motors and it's cheaper than an extended warranty from the dealership. ;-)

I still would rather not have to fight that battle. When it comes time for a warranty to come through when it is called upon, I trust the muscle of a big company like Ford than I do some aftermarket tuning company.

jadmt

ignore button user
Pretty much decided to go with 315 70 17 or 35 12.50 oems are 245 75 17 Michelins which are a 31.5” tire by specs. Hope to use the stock steel wheels which are 7 1/2 wide with 40mm offset. Most of that size spec a minimum of a 7 1/2” wheel. Looking at Falken or Toyo AT
I’m used to 13 mpg in my 6.2 Raptor so anything in that range I’m fine with.
might take a look at Toyo AT3 in 35x11.5-17 as they will work on your 7.5" wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles