Wide hiking boots

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Trying to get out more after my neck and back surgery. I didn’t leave the house and lived in a darkened room for over a year due to a closed head injury caused by a fall. I gained a lot of weight and now am going to try and hike and hopefully will lose weight to help with the pain in my back. My issue is I can’t seem to find a hiking boot in a size 11 4E wide. Widest I’ve found is 2E. Need a boot for ankle support. Thank you. Sorry for the long post.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I wear 11 4E wide shoes and have a pair of Merrell Phaserbound hiking boots that fit most excellently. I've had them for 4-odd years and they are super comfortable and fit nice and wide. You could try fitting on some Merrell hikers and see what you think. I have a helluva time finding decent wide shoes myself, I find my go-to runners are pretty much always New Balance. Having saidf that I'm trying out a pair of Under Armour 11 4E runners right now that are also pretty comfortable.

highwest

I have also had good luck with Merrell. They have a wide size, which helps.

Thanks for the rec on New Balance.

Mike W.

I see someone has posted Merrell boots..5.11 also make wide sizes I like both but the Merrells are better made..

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I wear 11 4E wide shoes and have a pair of Merrell Phaserbound hiking boots that fit most excellently. I've had them for 4-odd years and they are super comfortable and fit nice and wide. You could try fitting on some Merrell hikers and see what you think. I have a helluva time finding decent wide shoes myself, I find my go-to runners are pretty much always New Balance. Having saidf that I'm trying out a pair of Under Armour 11 4E runners right now that are also pretty comfortable.
Thank you, I had looked at Merrell but will check that boot out. I currently am wearing New Balance Sneakers. They fit well.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Vasque makes boots in differing widths, I don’t know about 4E, but stop into a Redwing boot store and talk to them about options, one of the small franchise stores, not some mega-lo-mart that happens to have Redwing.

jadmt

ignore button user
check out some custom made boots. i have a pair of White's hikers and they are not cheap but literally will last a century. And if you are a big guy you will wear out 10 merrells to one pair of these. plus they will custom make them to your foot so they fit perfect.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Hoping to lose the weight that I gained thru being inactive. I will check out whites Boots. Tough to hike in sneakers. Bad enough I use a cane as well.

Alloy

For 3 seasons of the year I've stopped using hiking boot an use trail runners instead. My son and I have wide feet and we are currently using Ultra King MT2.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
For 3 seasons of the year I've stopped using hiking boot an use trail runners instead. My son and I have wide feet and we are currently using Ultra King MT2.
I have a few trail runners that I wear too.

Anything from Altra is pretty wide: https://www.altrarunning.com/?gclid...VEPDACh3jAwpoEAAYASAAEgJDa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is my 3 season favorite though: https://www.zappos.com/p/merrell-all-out-blaze-aero-sport-dusty-olive/product/8457938/color/3543
I wear a 14 wide, btw.

WVI

Adventurer
I replaced my Merrell Moab Ventilators, non waterproof. They were great even in winter.
I replaced them with the hitop version. Both in Wide.
The hitop version is nowhere as comfortable as the old set, and my foot slides all over.

bas157

I've got a pair of wide Montrail Torre but it doesn't look like they make them anymore but maybe can find some stores with them still? Mine are getting worn so I need to look for something soon. I bought some Asolo wide but they aren't wide enough for me. Usually wear 4e New Balance.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Altra makes some nice wide toe box shoes and boots and they seem to outlast any other shoe I’ve owned . They end up with no tread left but the shoe still in one piece and not falling apart .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles