JEEP JLU RUBICON ECO DIESEL AFTERMARKET SUSPENSION OPTIONS / EVO PURCHASE REGRET

Hello! Just wanted to start a thread / discussion on aftermarket suspension options for the 2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon eco diesels. I recently had the EVO MFG 2.5" Diesel Jeep Wrangler JLU Overland and Lift stage 4 plus with Evo spec King 2.5" shocks PROFESSIONALLY installed and I'm very disappointed. I know they are a good company with a great reputation, but personally feel robbed and didn't receive a product as advertised - let me explain. I'm not a heavy off-road type of guy, but more like the overlanding-type thing with the family on the weekends. That is why I purchased this particular setup - OVERLAND - to be able to put my Frontrunner roof rack and RTT on, load up the jeep and go exploring. Well, I can say that this suspension system is only average when the jeep does not have any extra weight on it, BUT the moment any extra weight is added, honestly, it just can't handle it and would of been better off staying with the stock suspension. When I called Evo the unfortunate response was "too bad" and that it's my fault for having the extra weight (ARB stubby, winch, sliders, rear bumper on 37s). How dare I fix my jeep up like everyone else to be able to offroad and overland :)

Bottom line, this suspension system, specifically the spring load rates are more aligned to support a standard gas version jeep. I really feel like Evo didn't do their homework and should not be advertising this suspension option as overland capable.

So now what? I have contacted a few other places (AEV, ARB, etc) and looks like a lot of companies are still in the testing phase for the diesel aftermarket suspension. So my advice to all Jeep ecodiesel owners, buyer beware - make sure the company you purchase from has actually done the right testing. I know Rock Krawler bought one of the first Jeep eco diesels and has been putting it through the paces and is just now getting ready to offer a 2.5" and 3.5" diesel suspension options. I'll prolly end up going with Rock Krawler or the new Mopar 2" diesel specific springs and hope that it pairs with my Evo 2.5" shocks..........

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.......

Last edited:

foxhunter

Adventurer
I was looking at the mopar 2inch diesel lift and going with 35’s, so if you go that route pleas post a review

Superduty

Adventurer
evo stage 4 with the Kings......that doesn't come cheap. Sorry you got "robbed". Unfortunate that a reputable company didn't do their homework first. I would venture a guess (just my guess) they are working on a different spring as we speak for the diesel. Maybe they will make some accommodation for you once they release it?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Overlanding doesn’t require King shocks and 37s. From what you described about your type of offroading, you would have been much better off, including your wallet, staying stock but it sounds like you only did it because everyone else was. Are you on the JL forums?

Like you said, aftermarket is still sorting out the diesel aftermarket options for both the JL and soon to be JT diesels. If I get into the JT diesel, I too may be forced to go with the mopar 2” kit until companies can sort it out.

whodoesthat

I think the Overland label was really marketing, and they should really consider having a stiffer spring rate option. They have suspensions that are setup for a soft ride on trails. I've ridden in JKs with their flagship King coilovers and triple bypass suspension, and those were the smoothest Jeeps I've ridden in. But, those weren't overland rigs. I have a JK with a large amount of EVO components and wound up switching the rear springs out for Rock Krawler 4.5" springs as the 4" EVOs were too soft for how heavy my Jeep is. I know one guy at the Evo shop is far from the perfect customer service guy and have dealt with him, so I know how you feel.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I certainly wish lift manufacturers would rate their springs and kits for certain weight ranges. With the two door and four door Jeeps using the same parts as well as a wide variety of builds it would be much easier if they'd come right out and list that this set of springs and shocks works for "X" number of pounds. I know for my JK I've had to buy two sets of rear coils to get it right. I know I read of quite a few people who just add spacers to their rear springs to take away the sag but that just seems wrong from an engineering viewpoint. Adding spacers to a spring with the wrong rate does nothing to correct the poor handling characteristics of the vehicle they're installed on, nor is it optimal for suspension travel, etc... Okay, I'm done ranting now. I guess they do sell more components though.....

Hello everyone! Really appreciate all the feedback (minus 2jeeps-patriotx1). I ended up going with Rock Krawler diesel specific springs (3.5”). They are on the way and I’ll post some pics once installed. For the guys that are having similar issues, hit up Adam at Rock Krawler (a fellow veteran) - knows his stuff and is super user friendly - he’ll get you squared away. Best of luck!

I certainly wish lift manufacturers would rate their springs and kits for certain weight ranges. With the two door and four door Jeeps using the same parts as well as a wide variety of builds it would be much easier if they'd come right out and list that this set of springs and shocks works for "X" number of pounds. I know for my JK I've had to buy two sets of rear coils to get it right. I know I read of quite a few people who just add spacers to their rear springs to take away the sag but that just seems wrong from an engineering viewpoint. Adding spacers to a spring with the wrong rate does nothing to correct the poor handling characteristics of the vehicle they're installed on, nor is it optimal for suspension travel, etc... Okay, I'm done ranting now. I guess they do sell more components though.....

That would be very difficult and very subjective to personal tastes. What is soft for you may be stiff to someone else. The OEMs have to provide weight ratings, but even they still have lots of consumer complaints, hence the aftermarket.

I imagine the OP doesn't want to throw more money at the situation, but having your King shocks tuned for the weight your carrying may provide some real improvements without having to change much else. Springs on their own contribute very little to how well a vehicle rides. Is the jeep sitting at the right height as far as you know(whatever lift height it should be at)?

Kevin

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
That would be very difficult and very subjective to personal tastes. What is soft for you may be stiff to someone else. The OEMs have to provide weight ratings, but even they still have lots of consumer complaints, hence the aftermarket.

I imagine the OP doesn't want to throw more money at the situation, but having your King shocks tuned for the weight your carrying may provide some real improvements without having to change much else. Springs on their own contribute very little to how well a vehicle rides. Is the jeep sitting at the right height as far as you know(whatever lift height it should be at)?

Kevin

OME does.....

ThePartyWagon

I think this probably comes down to the fact that the term "overland" was used as a marketing tool in the Evo lift kit description and it was false advertising when it comes down to the nitty gritty aspects of the kit. The spring rates, shock valving, etc, should have been looked into before purchasing your kit. I mean no offense but more research into this kit was needed rather than relying on a product title developed by a marketing team in an office somewhere. EVO seems to be a more common name in the rock crawling world, less so in the overland world.

This is one of the first kits developed for the JLU Diesel, you know what they say about buying the first version of anything...

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Great. In the end it is still just their opinion on the matter. Opinions will defer and customers experiences will be different.

Kevin

Oh yeah, "their opinion", springing vehicles for overlanding for decades. But hey, good luck with your buying and rebuying suspension components over and over again.

roving1

So get some different springs or some air bag helpers. Why the whole end of the world start over from scratch approach?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier