2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I would be very suspect of a 12V aircon.

Designed for marine use at 48V more likely to be durable, have decent longevity.

There are some, super efficient, but still that's a lot of juice even at only 8000 btu.

Completely impractical to run off stored energy for more than a couple hours, better to just have a couple quiet Hondas purring away, use a big LFP bank and 5kW of panels just to cut down on runtime & fuel usage.

Best of all, go where it's cooler, why we're mobile follow the 60's and park in the shade :cool:

I can't say I care what the AC unit is, but it would be nice to have something a little more elegant than a simple shaker unit hanging out the back wall. I also don't need it to run on 12v. When I need AC I would either have a generator or shore power.

john61ct

Adventurer
I can't say I care what the AC unit is, but it would be nice to have something a little more elegant than a simple shaker unit hanging out the back wall. I also don't need it to run on 12v. When I need AC I would either have a generator or shore power.
Well then there is no challenge at all, just a question of getting your unit of choice installed.

Just know lots of budget-minded folks build window units into plenums so nothing extends in or out. Obviously does take away from valuable interior space though.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Not really inexpensive, but these have been on my radar since the original unit on kick-starter. https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/mark2-specs Surely i would like to get some real world experience first with the output and quality, but this unit set on the kitchen counter in the Camp-X may work well. You could drain into the sink and plumb the exhaust possibly with the extensions out a zippered window. It claims a 5 hour run time with the 24v 35ah battery which might get you through the night comfortable, charging requires 110v which would require a small inverter (150/260w consumption) .

seahaul

So I have found a weird thing with my camp-x. The windows in the soft walls are great, but the plastic Window is on the outside, then the screen then the insulated fabric layer towards the inside. I dont know why the screen wouldn’t be out. The way it is now you have unzip everything, then let the plastic window hang outside as it has no straps then zip up the screen. Do other owners have the same issue?

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Seahaul,
I mention that somewhere in my mega posts above. Ha. There are pros and cons to this order of layers. As you noted, the negative of the clear window being on the outside is either having to unzip it from inside, with the chance of bugs getting in while you then zip back up the bugscreen. Or you have to go outside, with the bugscreen up, to unzip the clear window.

The pros are the clear window, being on the outer most layer, protects the screen and everything else from rain and snow and grime. Also, my favorite pro, you can unzip the insulation and bugscreen and have a clear window with no bugscreen obstructing the view. That was one thing that always bothered me with my FWC is the screens were fixed and one could never get a clear view with just the clear windows in place. Every user is different and, at first this seemed strange order to me, too, but with use, we found that we want the clear window with screen down far more often than wanting clear window down and bugscreen up, so for us, this order is much better than the screen being on the outside. We get more than enough ventilation from the huge side window, rear screen door and two roof vents all of which have a much finer screen than the soft top bugscreen, so we very rarely use the soft top bug screens. But again, everyone's preferred use will be different.

seahaul

Seahaul,
I mention that somewhere in my mega posts above. Ha. There are pros and cons to this order of layers. As you noted, the negative of the clear window being on the outside is either having to unzip it from inside, with the chance of bugs getting in while you then zip back up the bugscreen. Or you have to go outside, with the bugscreen up, to unzip the clear window.

The pros are the clear window, being on the outer most layer, protects the screen and everything else from rain and snow and grime. Also, my favorite pro, you can unzip the insulation and bugscreen and have a clear window with no bugscreen obstructing the view. That was one thing that always bothered me with my FWC is the screens were fixed and one could never get a clear view with just the clear windows in place. Every user is different and, at first this seemed strange order to me, too, but with use, we found that we want the clear window with screen down far more often than wanting clear window down and bugscreen up, so for us, this order is much better than the screen being on the outside. We get more than enough ventilation from the huge side window, rear screen door and two roof vents all of which have a much finer screen than the soft top bugscreen, so we very rarely use the soft top bug screens. But again, everyone's preferred use will be different.
Hey Chadx, I get what you are saying. Makes some sense now, I guess we like the windows open with a breeze and this weekend the sun was shining so the camper turned into a greenhouse so well had plastic hanging about with no way to secure them. The wind was blowing them around. Ahh well, minor....

4xpedition

Took the Ram 1500 Overland Explorer with Camp-X slide-in camper down Shafer Trail in Canyonlands National Park. Check that out.

4xpedition

Just got back from an epic run to Great Basin National Park with the Camp-X and met up with several members of Northwest Overland Society in the Nevada desert. Check it out.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Mid-season changes including dinette raised floor (thanks for the call-out Arnold!). I ordered one and I'll install in my CAMP-X. It will have a little less cubby room since I already have a 2" raised dinette floor, but will still give a bit of storage and, more importantly, will be more comfortable seating in the dinette. I'm also getting two new cushions made so the dinette end cushions are one piece and we can eliminate the cushion under the window and put some type of storage there.

Overland Explorer is moving away from factory direct so while I initiated this order through them, BigSkyRV called me with price quotes, etc. and the sale will go through them. Understandable as OEV is expanding fast and they need to focus on manufacturing and R&D rather than one off sales requests. Those will flow through your dealership of choice from now on.

OEV is posting on Instagram/FB, so sorry if this does't work for some users.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles