WTB Overland 4x4 Dispersed Camping Trailer

campnfamily

Edited now that we've done some serious decision trees on what we need / want : )

Hi ~ My family of 4 (2 adults, 6 and 3 yr old kids + large lab) are into dispersed camping, and are looking to upgrading from our current 'pack up the truck for each trip' setup to a 4x4 trailer to pull with our F150. Our desires are to keep camping gear packed and ready to go possible and have a comfy mattress (although we can throw that in the pickup and still tent camp since RTTs are so much $$). We are now debating an overloading trailer (probably our first choice) with a small tent trailer that is set up to go off roading. Ideally we're in the $7ishk range, but for something with bells and whistles (water / hot water, power, RTT, annex, awning ,etc.) we'd possibly go a bit higher.

Still would love to hear what other people have done for a family that works well! Also open to ideas, suggestions, or someone who builds these on a budget, or a bit of a project for us (within reason - we have small kids, so big projects take too much time : )

Willing to drive a ways for the right setup!

THANKS!
k

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 349
  • fleetwood.jpg
    fleetwood.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:

campnfamily

Sorry, probably should've added our budget is in the $6k realm....maybe a bit higher for something that checks off more of the boxes and requires less work from us! : ) THANKS!

campnfamily

Significantly edited now that we've done some serious decision trees on what we need / want and budget adjusting : )

uncc civilengineer

@Overland_NC
I’ve been there and for the best bang for your budget you’ll likely need to build your own setup to stay around $7k. Some options:

Maybe find a used old school Fleetwood Neon popup and renovate it to suit your needs.

Add a RTT to your current vehicle and build a portable hot water setup.

Buy a M416 and modify it to get you by for the time being.

Here is how we progressed through trailers and have been doing the RTT thing since around

9C9BF76E-1DB5-4BD1-B5DF-1D39E5ACA2D3.jpeg

2018 (I built everything except for the trailer body/aluminum skins). Built the frame, electrical, plumbing, etc.)
B21D9C78-79BB-4F0B-845E-B5BA19A30349.jpeg

C3DA41BC-CF8D-4EF1-A639-4D80ACCA5C95.jpeg

I too have been shopping a decently priced overlanding trailer. I want to take our 3-4 kids(The oldest usually stays home but he is welcome to come) with us. We were not looking for a teardrop. Here are some of the options to consider, these made top of my list(I wanted a 6 foot.. if I do get a rooftop tent I think I need that size to put one of the bigger ones on it. Most of the 6 foots are 6 by 4(at least in my limited experience):

Four Leaf Clover:
www.fourleafcloverfab.com - Good prices, small company, there is a listing in this forum about a closed trailer buy that is for his trailers. You can still get a trailer from him even if you did not participate in the group buy but you wont get 25% off. located in California. (I think his base trailer starts at 4k(as of July 2020) but this is subject to change so check with him)

Ruger Trailers:
www.rugertrailers.com Also good prices a little bit higher than Four Leaf and also sells tents. Located in Denver Co(sort of). Remember to check out their youtube channel. (prices are listed on web site but for 6 foot price is just shy of 7k as of June 2020.)

Bivouac Camping Trailers
www.moabaz.com - Most expensive on this list. In the size I was looking for started at 10k(July 2020). Beautiful stuff a lot of build out. (Located in Arizona) If I had closer to 20k.. I might have gotten one of these.

www.campovrlnd.com
Have you looked at the toppers from Ovrlnd Campers ? Also something to consider. Would be kind of tight for 4 people and a dog but still something to look at. I think as of summer 2020 they are priced at about 7k.

I think all three are great options but it does always come down to budget. I also think there are the foreign import trailers that you can get for 5k or so. I did not want one of those. Call me sentimental but I want to pass it on to my boys some day, so I want something that will last.

I hope this helps you. I found it hard to find budget options under 10k that were made in the US. Remember there are some good popup tents or even just regular ground tents. My husband loves our Nemo 6p ground tent. It is a little tall for me to put up but it is very roomy. It sets up in about 20 minutes, including ground cover and rug inside.

Just for fun we rented a tiny uhaul trailer for our last camping trip. We dragged it down the forest service roads until we found our spot. While its ground clearance is terrible it does give you a lot of space for stuff. I wonder if modifying a small cargo trailer would work.(I am not handy so not an option for us)

When I get my trailer I will post here and let you know. I hope you will do the same.

Good Luck!

campnfamily

I’ve been there and for the best bang for your budget you’ll likely need to build your own setup to stay around $7k. Some options:

Maybe find a used old school Fleetwood Neon popup and renovate it to suit your needs.

Add a RTT to your current vehicle and build a portable hot water setup.

Buy a M416 and modify it to get you by for the time being.

Here is how we progressed through trailers and have been doing the RTT thing since around

View attachment 603976

2018 (I built everything except for the trailer body/aluminum skins). Built the frame, electrical, plumbing, etc.)
View attachment 603978

View attachment 603979

Thanks for sharing your progress! Yes, it definitely does seem like a lot of people upgrade their setups as their lives change.....just got to figure out where to take the initial plunge : )

campnfamily

I too have been shopping a decently priced overlanding trailer. I want to take our 3-4 kids(The oldest usually stays home but he is welcome to come) with us. We were not looking for a teardrop. Here are some of the options to consider, these made top of my list(I wanted a 6 foot.. if I do get a rooftop tent I think I need that size to put one of the bigger ones on it. Most of the 6 foots are 6 by 4(at least in my limited experience):

Four Leaf Clover:
www.fourleafcloverfab.com - Good prices, small company, there is a listing in this forum about a closed trailer buy that is for his trailers. You can still get a trailer from him even if you did not participate in the group buy but you wont get 25% off. located in California. (I think his base trailer starts at 4k(as of July 2020) but this is subject to change so check with him)

Ruger Trailers:
www.rugertrailers.com Also good prices a little bit higher than Four Leaf and also sells tents. Located in Denver Co(sort of). Remember to check out their youtube channel. (prices are listed on web site but for 6 foot price is just shy of 7k as of June 2020.)

Bivouac Camping Trailers
www.moabaz.com - Most expensive on this list. In the size I was looking for started at 10k(July 2020). Beautiful stuff a lot of build out. (Located in Arizona) If I had closer to 20k.. I might have gotten one of these.

www.campovrlnd.com
Have you looked at the toppers from Ovrlnd Campers ? Also something to consider. Would be kind of tight for 4 people and a dog but still something to look at. I think as of summer 2020 they are priced at about 7k.

I think all three are great options but it does always come down to budget. I also think there are the foreign import trailers that you can get for 5k or so. I did not want one of those. Call me sentimental but I want to pass it on to my boys some day, so I want something that will last.

I hope this helps you. I found it hard to find budget options under 10k that were made in the US. Remember there are some good popup tents or even just regular ground tents. My husband loves our Nemo 6p ground tent. It is a little tall for me to put up but it is very roomy. It sets up in about 20 minutes, including ground cover and rug inside.

Just for fun we rented a tiny uhaul trailer for our last camping trip. We dragged it down the forest service roads until we found our spot. While its ground clearance is terrible it does give you a lot of space for stuff. I wonder if modifying a small cargo trailer would work.(I am not handy so not an option for us)

When I get my trailer I will post here and let you know. I hope you will do the same.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the great info.....I too like the idea of buying US and also like the various price additions to have a sense of what things cost. The reality is I think we're looking for something used, but these definitely look like good brands to keep an eye out for!! THANKS!!

Boucher

A Fleetwood Neon is a great option, mine has held up well, This winter I'm hoping to get rid of leaf suspension and upgrade with independent. I have the parts just haven't had the time to do it. Attached some pictures

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9196.JPG
    IMG_9196.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 135

jmartin20

Best cost effective ones i have seen are the Intech Campers. There are multiple models available and they are fully aluminum cage-welded frames.

campnfamily

A Fleetwood Neon is a great option, mine has held up well, This winter I'm hoping to get rid of leaf suspension and upgrade with independent. I have the parts just haven't had the time to do it. Attached some pictures
I do like the idea of a semi-rugged tent trailer, although I'm not sure how well they'd hold up to 4x4 roads? I'm also a bit concerned the bears in CA isn't a great match for a tent trailer and make me wonder if a trailer with lockable metal storage is better (granted sleeping on top of your food storage seems a bit crazy too : ). Thanks for the info!

campnfamily

Best cost effective ones i have seen are the Intech Campers. There are multiple models available and they are fully aluminum cage-welded frames.
The Intech is an interesting concept, although really I LIKE tent camping, or at least not being as confined as a solid walled trailer. Granted, there is definite value to a solid roof in the rain : ) Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles