Window tint

MTVR

Around here we call them people.

Yup.

Criminals are people too. I always explain to my arrestees that we are a customer-service oriented organization, that we will be sending them a customer satisfaction survey in a few weeks, and that I hope they will give me the highest scores possible. I have to wonder how many dopers are still waiting by their mailbox for that survey, lol...

javajoe79

Fabricator
Yup.

Criminals are people too. I always explain to my arrestees that we are a customer-service oriented organization, that we will be sending them a customer satisfaction survey in a few weeks, and that I hope they will give me the highest scores possible. I have to wonder how many dopers are still waiting by their mailbox for that survey, lol...
You mean normal people who enjoy a medically beneficial plant? It's like you think you're talking to your cop buddies here. It's not funny, it's sad. These are american citizens and you're talking about enforcing antiquated laws that are soon to be in the past. Do us a favor and spare us the attempted put downs. Nobody here is calling you a pig or anything like that so do extend us the same courtesy please.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Consent is usually most convenient for the offender, but I have no problem with impounding a vehicle and having it towed to the station pursuant to a search warrant.

I'm always very up-front with offenders, in telling them that one way or another, I'm leaving here with the dope tonight- the rest is totally up to them...
congrats? Once you impound a vehicle aren't you allowed to search it at that point? What it sounds like you're saying is you'll impound a vehicle in the absence of any actual probable cause to search. What judge would issue a search warrant in the absence of any crime or actual PC?

quickfarms

Adventurer
MTVR appears to out of touch with reality

The reality is laws are created by politicians and then modified and defined by case law.

His comments show that he does not understand this and further is trying to apply his local laws on visitors which is not ethical or legal.

Unfortunately in our society a lot of trust has been placed with law enforcement to apply the laws correctly but in recent times it has become very evident that law enforcement has broken this trust.

Because of this there is a push to abolish the police.

In my career I have come to the conclusion that there are multiple departments across the country that should be disbanded due to a bad culture. In some areas we don’t waste our time calling the cops because the agency is useless and that is usually a high crime area.

MTVR has further shown how out of touch with reality he is by his choice in expedition vehicle. The base vehicle should be easy to work on with a established parts network and availability of mechanics, The MTVR, the truck, does not fit this. The MTVR is not based on any commercial vehicle, new parts are only available through Oshkosh, and the list goes on. Only time will tell if the civilian market adopts them, the way they have the 800 and 900 series 5 tons, or ignores them. I feel that there are not enough of the MTVR’s to make them commercially viable for many years.

NoDak

You seem like a good guy, but it's NEVER a good idea to go digging for stuff without being directed to.

Keep in mind that reaching for your wallet looks exactly like reaching for a handgun to us. Now add to that, the fact that the illegal tint makes it harder for the officer to see that you're NOT pulling a gun. He may not even need to see your ID- he might be pulling you over for your safety, just to let you know that your tail lights are out.

And although you didn't mention it, this seems like an appropriate place to mention the dangers of taking the seatbelt off without being directed to do so- I have no idea why offenders do that- the only legitimate reason we can see, is if they are going to bail out to flee and/or to try to kill us. Absolute BEST case scenario, is that you're setting yourself up for a seatbelt ticket. WORST case scenario, the officer sees you reach and then a shiny metal object (the tongue of the male seatbelt buckle half) move quickly from your right hip up and across in the officer's direction, much in the manner of a gun coming up. Again, illegal tint can make it harder for the officer to see that it's not a gun. And the legal justification for the officer to use deadly physical force against an offender, does NOT require that the shiny metal thing was actually a gun.

Rolling down the windows- good.

Shutting the engine off- good.

Putting your hands on top of the steering wheel (or even putting both BOTH hands out the window with your palms facing the officer) and remaining motionless unless and until directed to do otherwise- good.

Listening to and following directions- good.

Doing stuff that you were not told to do, especially stuff that makes it look like you may be trying to kill us- bad.

If you are that spun up on a traffic stop it was absolutely time for you to leave the job.

Choff

Adventurer
I just had the front windows tinted with illegal tint in our state, Not to dark and matching the van windows in back,
was sick of the hot sun burning my arm when driving.
I am an old white haired man driving a nice looking well taken care of Conversion Van!! I see so many darker tint jobs than mine on cars, trucks and etc.
No problems so far

Choff

Adventurer
It’s been made quite clear that if you even suggest tint than you ARE a drug addicted criminal and you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....by the man with the dark tinted glasses ;-)
I guess I will take my chances on tinted windows, being that I am a not a drug dealer or a criminal, just an hot old man!!!

plumber mike

Adventurer
I guess I will take my chances on tinted windows, being that I am a not a drug dealer or a criminal, just an hot old man!!!
I’ve not had any issues yet and it’s the first accessory I do to all of my vehicles. Well worth it, IMO. Cooler interior and a cleaner looking exterior.....every time.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
I love you like a brother, but 50% tint on a 70% "clear" windshield is about 35% VLT, which is very noticeable even to lay people, and is unsafe for reasons that you may not be aware of. I would absolutely cite for that.

you’ve said this at least 3 times in this thread. how bout you elaborate the reasons as to why it’s sooooooo unsafe?

I had a car with 20% on all windows but windshield, but even it was tinted at 50% with a 5% sun visor well below the as1 line. Car was like that for 12 years. No idea how many times I was pulled over in that car, but it was a lot. Numerous sheriffs, state bulls, regular Leo’s, and bored off their ass small town cops looking for ANYTHING to cite never mentioned anything about how unsafe the car was due to window tint. They were all concerned with important stuff like no front plate, illegal exhaust, and one small town cop was worried cause my registration tag was in the upper right hand corner instead of the lower right hand corner. Guess I was lucky to live through that disastrous blunder on my part.

MTVR

you’ve said this at least 3 times in this thread. how bout you elaborate the reasons as to why it’s sooooooo unsafe?

I already did. Go back and read it.

I had a car with 20% on all windows but windshield, but even it was tinted at 50% with a 5% sun visor well below the as1 line. Car was like that for 12 years. No idea how many times I was pulled over in that car, but it was a lot. Numerous sheriffs, state bulls, regular Leo’s, and bored off their ass small town cops looking for ANYTHING to cite...They were all concerned with important stuff like no front plate, illegal exhaust, and one small town cop was worried cause my registration tag was in the upper right hand corner instead of the lower right hand corner.

Not surprising.

Lol- you didn't know what corner to put the sticker in?

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything like that.

Tint offenders put themselves and the occupants of their vehicles in danger during a traffic stop. Blubullett appears to understand why that is, so I'm guessing he's a cop. You apparently don't understand why that is, so I'm just gonna recommend for the safety of you and yours, not to commit tint offenses.

Im guessing this is what I was supposed to go back and read. So it’s unsafe cause police can’t see in the vehicle during a stop? Has nothing to do with poor vision at night or anything that’s really unsafe with the offender or their vehicle, just the fact that the officers view of the vehicles occupant/passenger is impaired?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles