Slide-in campers & half-ton pickups: GMC Sierra AT4

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Uh yeah, those tailgates are friggin sweet. Id be doing anything I could to keep it. Very nice truck, I hope you can make something work.

phsycle

Adventurer
Count me in for pro-tailgate. But only if it’s got a built in step like GM or Ford. It’s nice to sit on the tailgate to take off muddy shoes or cast a line from.

Regarding the camper, just make sure you’re within payload limits. It’s probably why you don’t see as many 1/2 tons with them. If I get a slide in camper, I’m going 3/4 or 1 ton.

Fierokid

Another option would maybe shave that inch off of the slide in? Basically notch that front wall where needed? It's better than messing with the truck bed but it still sucks having to modify something.

FlatlandSK

Another option would maybe shave that inch off of the slide in? Basically notch that front wall where needed? It's better than messing with the truck bed but it still sucks having to modify something.

I had checked into them making a shorter one by 5" or so, but it didn't sound high on their list. I know 4 Wheel camper makes one for short beds that has a 70" floor length vs. 80" that would fit well, but does not appear the same build quality as Camp-X. May have to go that route anyways. I may also just look into the cost of having a custom one built.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Is that tailgate really easier to climb, than a good set of purpose built camper steps? It doesn't look it. Steps and doors can be the difference between a comfortable camper, and something that feels like roughing it. I'm 6'3'', so the ''porches''often make it harder for me to duck into a camper.

Also, walking out of your camper early in the morning only to find that your $4000+ tailgate is gone, totally sucks.

No gate, flush with the rear lights style, is an extra 8" of room. A regular hang off the back style camper, is an extra 2'.

Sorry but I went out of my way to say hi, to a Capris owner last week with a GM half ton. And that truck looked like it was struggling with that little camper, even with his helper springs. Nice camper though. Maybe a Cowboy or a pop up camper, is a better option. I'd trade up to a 250, if I wanted a hardside for winter.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

If you want the step and don't care about closing it could you get one a hair longer to actually sit on part of the tail gate to prevent the tailgate from running away?

It doesn't have to close to use the step and if a camper is sitting on it it is going to take a fair amount of work to steal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior