Bronco effect on Used Unlimited Prices???

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed. While I want to dump my LR3 for a 2 door Bronco, my wife is pushing the “you have to have 4 door” agenda. So if it comes down to that I would be grabbing a JL unlimited Rubicon.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm not following on the door line.

Looks fine to me.
2021-Ford-Bronco-002.jpg

billiebob

Well everything is supersized now

DSC01873.jpeg

And while the Base Bronco is only 2" wider, the Sasquatch is 5.5" wider than the Rubicon, and it is more than just numbers, a high squared off front end on the Bronco with a low profile windshield blocks so much vision Ford has included under body cameras, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

All Ford had to do for me was make the Bronco SMALLER than the Rubicon. I prefer the CJ2 ^^^ over all the new SUVs.

Altho that one ^^ is a CJ3.

Last edited:

Frostbit907

COVID shut down the Jeep plants for most of the 2020 model year. I was lucky enough to have my JL 3.0 Diesel Rubicon built right before the shutdown. The reason I mention that is there are fare less overall JL's out there than there would have been on a regular production year. This will contribute to less available for resale and likely contribute to the JL maintaining it's record of high resale values.

There may have been less than 10 of this Bikini Pearl Diesel Rubicon made. Actually, it's my wife's but I occasionally get to drive it. :ROFLMAO:IMG_0457.jpgIMG_0457.jpg

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Had a think about it as I've read this thread a few times, and then the penny dropped.... I've been doing some support work for a 1st year/4th year Economics unit, and this clicked.

Theoretically prices (demand side) are determined by:
-Price of the product
-Price of substitutes
-Income

At a supply side, they're a bit messier, as it's more to do with the cost of production, but in the used market it's going to be something related to the cost to change and perceived value, as well as the need to sell. Also, the used market has a relatively finite number of vehicles in it as there are only x number of (say) 2017MY Jeeps in this colour and those variables can't suddenly change, leads the market to being relatively inelastic (so a change in demand only has a small change in the quantity, but a bigger change in the price) As more and more people need to sell, the less inelastic that supply comes to a point.

Now their are points in both cases that are going to be quite important - stimulus cheques dry up, and incomes fall. At first, the stimulus cheques will have bumped up the spend on "toys" as people can afford to spend a bit more on things that they may not otherwise have bought. BUT once that dries up, there is then a need to realise/liquidise assets to pay more crucial bills and that will push prices down.

So, all up? I think that the novelty of the Bronco would have had a short term blip in the first instance where it would push the price of the substitute down (so that FCA can maintain volume numbers at the cost of turnover value - you need the economy of scale to be efficient in automotive manufacturing more than you need turnover to put a value on the books) BUT that was in the world pre-January 2020. Now? I think that the Bronco is going to be really pushing the price of a new Jeep downwards - but in turn, that will pull the price of the Bronco downwards as well because otherwise they will lose too many sales to the cheaper Jeep... and this is where Land Rover may have been shrewd with the Defender, as it will probably stay out of that market, sitting in a (potentially) less price sensitive market.

Finally, People are driven by conspicuous consumption; that's one of the reasons for why the Toyota Prius killed the Honda Civic hybrid - the Toyota was noticeably different, whereas the Civic looked like the rest of the range. A Jeep Wrangler to 99% of the population looks the same from the JK to the JL; therefore, how do you show you got a new one? In contrast, the Bronco is brand new, and likewise the Defender. So with that, you have the "look at me I've just spent $50k on a new 4x4" and the "look at me I've just spent $70k on a new 4x4" markets with the Bronco and Defender respectively. The Jeep? Well, no one would ever know you've just bought a new one... so how do you use that to show you have a job/money?

Bobzdar

Observer
I don't know what the Bronco does better than the Wrangler that would have a bunch of new(er) Wrangler owners shifting over. Sure, those with 5+ year old JK's and the like that are looking to replace them might jump ship, but I don't see many JL owners making the jump. I know I wouldn't bother, at most it trades blows with a Wrangler, doesn't best it at anything that I can tell, so you'd just be trading in for some new sheetmetal and taking a lump in the pocket to do so. Come 2023-2024 as JL's hit 5 years old, Broncos are a know quantity with (presumably) good aftermarket support, and early JL owners start looking for their next new ride, sure, but then you likely won't be grabbing a low mileage one but out of warranty high milers that are getting worn out. 2018's could be had with the lifetime warranty so there may be a large contingent that hold onto them.

CampStewart

Observer
You guys post as though you are under the assumption that a sizeable percentage if not most Wrangler owners actually use their vehicles off road. There must be data out there on how many wrangler owners actually take their vehicles to places that a 77 Pinto couldn't go.

Bobzdar

Observer
You guys post as though you are under the assumption that a sizeable percentage if not most Wrangler owners actually use their vehicles off road. There must be data out there on how many wrangler owners actually take their vehicles to places that a 77 Pinto couldn't go.

I think the myth that most Wrangler owners don't take them off-road is what all Wrangler owners tell themselves to make them feel superior. Every Wrangler owner I know takes them off-road in places a 77 pinto definitely couldn't go.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think the myth that most Wrangler owners don't take them off-road is what all Wrangler owners tell themselves to make them feel superior. Every Wrangler owner I know takes them off-road in places a 77 pinto definitely couldn't go.
Isn't there only one place Pinto's go anyway?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
At the end of all this I’m just trying to get out of my LR3 and into an SUV more suited to my needs. ie more capable for harder trails than a Land Rover can do. I don’t really care about the performance differences between the Bronco and the JL as I feel they are Negligible. If I end up getting a 4 doors Vehicle I aesthetically like the JL 4 door more than the Bronco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles