Gen 2 SR Engine Swap Options

holykel

HELLO!

I've finally saved up enough money for a new engine one year after I pulled the one out of the old girl. It's got a bad set of heads (both cracked) - so instead of spending almost $2k on machining the old heads and put the old parts back on, I have decided to just putting a new engine in.

Do you guys have any recommended source for a replacement 6G74? I checked EngineWorld and they are already out of that particular engine :\

Are there any alternative engines that you would recommend? I have been reading about putting in the JDM 4M40 Turbo Diesel in - that unit seems to be more expensive, but is that worth it? Will there be a lot of tuning required after putting it in?

Appreciate all the help :)

73349219_10107308652962680_5532867361373159424_o.jpg

ARDOR

I, in general, agree with both Sal and Pac.

In broad strokes and in most cases, if someone has to ask, such a project and substantial undertaking is typically outside of their scope. In the vast majority of instances, it will be much easier and cheaper to repair whatever is wrong with a vehicle than to swap/engineer an alternative motor/drivetrain.

That said, there are always exceptions and your first step should be to do as much research as possible on sites such as this, 4x4wire, and the ADD forum; there have been more than a few threads covering various swaps.

This might be a good start - https://forum.adventuredrivendesign.com/index.php?topic=370.0

Best of luck!

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I don't have a recommendation for you, other than to find one at the LOCAL salvage yard and rebuild it. But I wanted to caution you, I lost thousands of dollars getting ripped off trying to buy an engine online, not one, but TWICE! I don't know if I was exceptionally unlucky or what, but I would trust a politicians promises before I trust the online salvage industry. If you haven't physically seen the motor with your own eyes (ie, not a photo), it doesn't exist. Be exceptionally cautious.

holykel

I don't have a recommendation for you, other than to find one at the LOCAL salvage yard and rebuild it. But I wanted to caution you, I lost thousands of dollars getting ripped off trying to buy an engine online, not one, but TWICE! I don't know if I was exceptionally unlucky or what, but I would trust a politicians promises before I trust the online salvage industry. If you haven't physically seen the motor with your own eyes (ie, not a photo), it doesn't exist. Be exceptionally cautious.
Thanks for the warning nwoods! I found a Diamante engine on EngineWorld.com, which seems by and large like a reputable website. I also found one Montero used engine on sale quite close to me on Car-Part.com - not sure if I should trust a salvage yard like you said though...

If I go the JDM engine route, I just need to figure out how / if the Diamante 6G74 is a good fit for my Montero...!

holykel

I, in general, agree with both Sal and Pac.

In broad strokes and in most cases, if someone has to ask, such a project and substantial undertaking is typically outside of their scope. In the vast majority of instances, it will be much easier and cheaper to repair whatever is wrong with a vehicle than to swap/engineer an alternative motor/drivetrain.

That said, there are always exceptions and your first step should be to do as much research as possible on sites such as this, 4x4wire, and the ADD forum; there have been more than a few threads covering various swaps.

This might be a good start - https://forum.adventuredrivendesign.com/index.php?topic=370.0

Best of luck!

Thank you! Indeed - with my current knowledge around the car I think swapping a RHD diesel into my car will be over my head right now...

The 3.8 MIVEC page you've shared is an interesting route I haven't considered yet! It sounds like a much more viable swap than a 4M40 swap. Many options for my beloved Montero - just need to find out how I can make any of this work lol

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Diesel swap (correct engine for chassis (4M40) is much easier than a gas swap from a different platform, the diesel is a drop in for the most part and it needs minimal wiring for gauges and fuel cutoff. I recall 10ish wires. One could do a diesel swap in a day if he/she had all of the parts, the downside is they are expensive to buy and own. Still the easiest is the same engine from the same truck or at least a similiar truck like a Sport.

evomaki

Observer
Here is possibly a dumb idea. Would the SOHC 3.5l variant be more of a direct swap? I see a SOHC long block on Rock Auto for $3,700 after core return? I do not see a long block for a DOHC on Rock Auto. I just have no idea if the DOHC ECU, MAF sensor, exhaust manifold, mounts, etc. would work with SOHC. I know radiator from DOHC works with SOHC so coolant fittings are in the right spot. Even I can see that you'd need to source SOHC front timing cover, probably the intake too. Just a thought.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
There is the Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 DOHC, it's a licensed copy but i don't know anyone who has swapped one yet.

RyanY

Adventurer
Have you pulled the heads and confirmed that they are cracked? The Mitsu V6s aren't typically known for that - it's far more common to blow the head gaskets if they are overheated, and replacing the head gaskets would be a fairly inexpensive repair compared to replacing the heads.

RyanY

Adventurer
FWIW, I don't think you're likely to be able to complete any engine swap for less than $2k. It may seem like it on paper, but all the little unplanned-for things add up quickly: hoses, gaskets, seals, timing components, fluids, mounts, etc.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
FWIW, I don't think you're likely to be able to complete any engine swap for less than $2k. It may seem like it on paper, but all the little unplanned-for things add up quickly: hoses, gaskets, seals, timing components, fluids, mounts, etc.
Not to mention your sanity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles