New Build - FG637 Dual Cab + Slide on

GrantBerry

...spent a lot of time hunting down suppliers for different bits and pieces ...
$1000 approx for aluminium tray extrusions
Thanks @Lachstock . I've just taken my old steel tray off, and am ready to start building an ally one. Like you, I've done some websearching, and I see generally two kinds of "planks" for the trays (1) a 25mm deep 'ute' plank, and (2) a 40mm 'truck' plank. The ute-planks seem to have a starter-plank that you'd mount at the headboard and work your way back, bolting in from above as you go, whereas the truck-planks seem to have their tongue-and-grooves facing the other way (in relation to the starter plank and end plank)- so one would either have to (a) start from the back, working forwards if you are drilling/bolting from above; or (b) start from the front and work back, but then be unable to work from the top to drill, so you'd have to drill from underneath.
- So my question is two fold : (1) Which supplier and product did you use, and (2) did you fit/drill/bolt from the top, working backwards?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

WayneRoberts

Thanks @Lachstock . I've just taken my old steel tray off, and am ready to start building an ally one. Like you, I've done some websearching, and I see generally two kinds of "planks" for the trays (1) a 25mm deep 'ute' plank, and (2) a 40mm 'truck' plank. The ute-planks seem to have a starter-plank that you'd mount at the headboard and work your way back, bolting in from above as you go, whereas the truck-planks seem to have their tongue-and-grooves facing the other way (in relation to the starter plank and end plank)- so one would either have to (a) start from the back, working forwards if you are drilling/bolting from above; or (b) start from the front and work back, but then be unable to work from the top to drill, so you'd have to drill from underneath.
- So my question is two fold : (1) Which supplier and product did you use, and (2) did you fit/drill/bolt from the top, working backwards?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Great question @GrantBerry, I would like to know the same. @Lachstock , was there anyone that was helpful when you used Action Aluminium in Queensland? I have called them twice and had a very unhelpful experience. I don't think I would have got an answer if I asked him for the time, let alone any details on the TRAY6TON products. I assume there was no one in Victoria that sell these products? Did the $1,000 you spent include shipping?

Cheers,
Wayne

Last edited:

Lachstock

Hi gents,

Was really easy to do, and yep I started at the back and worked to the front (pic below).

IMG_4995.jpg

I layed it all out on the back first to make sure the length was close to correct and made sure it all fitted up (pic below) and that all my subframe guestimates were close to correct!

IMG_4899.jpg IMG_4902.jpg

There was a starter rail and and end rail which are different extrusions for the front and back.
I bought it from action aluminium in QLD and yep it was all the tray6ton parts, did it all via email and was quick and easy.
I just looked again and realised the shipping wasn't included in the $1000, total was around $1400 including shipping and was very quick and door to door.

WayneRoberts

Hi gents,

Was really easy to do, and yep I started at the back and worked to the front (pic below).

View attachment 620656

I layed it all out on the back first to make sure the length was close to correct and made sure it all fitted up (pic below) and that all my subframe guestimates were close to correct!

View attachment 620654 View attachment 620655

There was a starter rail and and end rail which are different extrusions for the front and back.
I bought it from action aluminium in QLD and yep it was all the tray6ton parts, did it all via email and was quick and easy.
I just looked again and realised the shipping wasn't included in the $1000, total was around $1400 including shipping and was very quick and door to door.
Hi @Lachstock , thanks for your reply and photo's. Did you use the 40mm or 32mm deck planks?

Lachstock

I think the Tray6ton are 40mm deck plates, haven't seent the truck in 20 weeks as I'm stuck in Melbs till next week when we're allowed to move around again...

Lachstock

So finally got back up to start working on the truck after a VERY long break!

Firstly had to cut the combing rail upstand down so that the canopy doors would open, the correct blade on a recipro saw made very light work of it!

IMG_5780.jpg

First job was to get the canopy FINALLY mounted up on the tray, this was the first confirmation that all of the tray and width's and lengths were actually correct.
I then bolted the canopy down and went and vacummed and cleaned out all of the leaves and crap that had accumulated over the last 6 months.

IMG_5783.jpg

The extra length of tray was always planned to be the base for the spare tyres to be bolted to the back of the tray.
Dimesionally it worked out perfectly, and just need to determine where across the back it will mount (and infuture I'll probably get a second spare).
I'm still trying to figure out if I'll get a small tyre mount to centre the bottom of the wheel and then bolt it to the back with some all thread.

IMG_5793.jpg

Last job was to get the mudguards on the tray, picked up a set of 4 for $15 a peice from a local truck wrecker, they bolted up perfectly well with some additional brackets from bunnings.

Now time to get started on the pop top, registration, interior fit out before the dtart of January when we're planning to take it on the boat to Tasmania!

Lachstock

So a few more activities been underway this last weeks, been flatout trying to organise everything with a 3rd of Jan deadline to be on the boat to Tasmania for a month!

The first MAJOR milestone is that it's finally registered, finally got the RWC completed with the new tray and all of the setup as it stands now. Very happy that's finally done!

I had the pop top lifters extended as well, I bought the off the shelf Jayco lifters and got them modified by a mate who's very handy with a tig welder.
They now lift to 800mm instead of the off the shelf 425mm, next steps was to build the pop top section but that hasn't gone as smoothly as I hoped..
IMG_5875.jpg

Next job was to start building the pop top extrusion profiles onto the top, I had the lengths cut by a local fabrication shop but they missed ONE dimension by about 5mm .
This has thrown the whole process out, need to buy a new length and get it cut again. Below is the bottom frame before a test fit on the canopy.
IMG_5890.jpg

And below is when seeing how it went on the profile on top of the canopy.... ever so close but not close enough!
IMG_5910.jpg

Next was to put on the spare wheel carrier setup, which turned out really nice! I bought an off the shelf one from a mob called GSL, nice alloy work and went on easy.
Had to buy a length of allthread as the supplied bolts weren't suitable for the supersingles, and the retainer plate was smaller than the centre hole.
I used the under chassis spare chain lift connection and bolted that into the centre as the retainer which worked well.
IMG_5912.jpg

Since the profiles were sitting on top, I decided to put the top extrsuions for the pop top on to see where it was going to sit heigh wise.
I do love when a rough plan comes together, and the height and look of it so far is exactly how I envisaged it!
Roofline will be just below the cab roofline, if I put some solar panels on the top it should be pretty much flush with the roofline!
IMG_5923.jpg
IMG_5926.jpg'

Next steps:

1. Get a new aluminium extrusion, get it cut then finish assembling the pop top to the canopy.
2. get a pop top sleeve made up between now and christmas! this is proving VERY difficult but have a few good leads to get it done.
3. electrical setup in the canopy, have a enerdrive DC2DC to charge a deep cycle AGM for the tassy trip. This will run lights and an engel on a drop slide.
4. Get the bed platform CNC cut out of formply and do a quick interior fitout for the first trip.
5. Get all of the water system finalised and the pump installed.. (probably won't get the hpt water scintex heat exchanger in for the first trip I think)

Simples..

Attachments

• IMG_5910.jpg
    IMG_5910.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 8

WayneRoberts

So a few more activities been underway this last weeks, been flatout trying to organise everything with a 3rd of Jan deadline to be on the boat to Tasmania for a month!

The first MAJOR milestone is that it's finally registered, finally got the RWC completed with the new tray and all of the setup as it stands now. Very happy that's finally done!

I had the pop top lifters extended as well, I bought the off the shelf Jayco lifters and got them modified by a mate who's very handy with a tig welder.
They now lift to 800mm instead of the off the shelf 425mm, next steps was to build the pop top section but that hasn't gone as smoothly as I hoped..
View attachment 629845

Next job was to start building the pop top extrusion profiles onto the top, I had the lengths cut by a local fabrication shop but they missed ONE dimension by about 5mm .
This has thrown the whole process out, need to buy a new length and get it cut again. Below is the bottom frame before a test fit on the canopy.
View attachment 629846

And below is when seeing how it went on the profile on top of the canopy.... ever so close but not close enough!
View attachment 629848

Next was to put on the spare wheel carrier setup, which turned out really nice! I bought an off the shelf one from a mob called GSL, nice alloy work and went on easy.
Had to buy a length of allthread as the supplied bolts weren't suitable for the supersingles, and the retainer plate was smaller than the centre hole.
I used the under chassis spare chain lift connection and bolted that into the centre as the retainer which worked well.
View attachment 629849

Since the profiles were sitting on top, I decided to put the top extrsuions for the pop top on to see where it was going to sit heigh wise.
I do love when a rough plan comes together, and the height and look of it so far is exactly how I envisaged it!
Roofline will be just below the cab roofline, if I put some solar panels on the top it should be pretty much flush with the roofline!
View attachment 629850
View attachment 629851'

Next steps:

1. Get a new aluminium extrusion, get it cut then finish assembling the pop top to the canopy.
2. get a pop top sleeve made up between now and christmas! this is proving VERY difficult but have a few good leads to get it done.
3. electrical setup in the canopy, have a enerdrive DC2DC to charge a deep cycle AGM for the tassy trip. This will run lights and an engel on a drop slide.
4. Get the bed platform CNC cut out of formply and do a quick interior fitout for the first trip.
5. Get all of the water system finalised and the pump installed.. (probably won't get the hpt water scintex heat exchanger in for the first trip I think)

Simples..
Looking good @Lachstock, nothing like working under the pressure of a fixed deadline to make things happen. Hope you make the ferry with all your list ticked off.

Did you need to have a head board to get your tray approved? Or is it not required?

Last edited:

Lachstock

another busy weekend on the truck!

Started on putting together the roof panel for the pop top, not sure if I mentioned it here but I managed to get a kit slide on off FB marketplace with all the panels (honeycomb panels, not foam panels) to make it up.
The kit also came with a set of electric lift off legs which may or may may not get used ont his build as yet...

Anyways, started measuring 100 times to make sure it was the right size for the pop top frame, including triple checking the diagonals another 100 times!
IMG_6010.jpg

Luckily it was worth it and slotted in perfectly!

IMG_6011.jpg

I decided to give it a coat of brunswick green paint to match the canopy as best as possible, the top is going to never be seen, but figured why not :)
IMG_6013.jpg

And then onto final assembly, now all glude together and will sit to fully cure this week. I have ordered the replacement aluminium lengths for the bottom profile and willm cut them to size this week.
IMG_6021.jpg

A friend of a friend also makes truck canvas products and other bits and pieces and said he could throw together a pop top sleeve to get me going for the tassy trip.
It's not 100% to the deisgn I wanted, but does have windows in every wall with fly screen so can't complain considering the time pressure!
So plan is to do a full pop top assembly this weekend on the saw horses on the ground and then lift the whole thing up in one go as an assembled unit.
I think it's going to be easier that way as putting the pop top skirt on at full truck height will be VERY tedious!
IMG_6022.jpg

More to come, but it's coming together!

Lachstock

Have spent the last few days assembling like crazy, and I now have what looks like a camper!

IMG_6100.jpg

VERY happy with the result, and even more surprised how close it came out to the initial plan..
All the design work up front definitely made the bulk of the execution considerably easier, especially for the tray/subframe and the pop top components.
IMG_7.jpg

First thing ws remaking the bottom extrusion profile for the pop top, managed to get the two new extrusions to remake the long edges.
Decided to cut them myself this time around, so got a aluminium blade and did it with a mitre saw.
It worked perfectly with a bit of cutting fluid, really should have done this myself for all of them... Next time!
IMG_6079.jpg

Once the bottom frame was done, flipped the roof upside down on the saw horses to begin assembling the skirt.
Was a surprisingly painless experience, basically just pushed into into the slot with a paint scraper and screwed it in.
I was originally thinking I'd need a piece of aluminium extrusions in between to hold it in place, but the material thickness was more than enough.
IMG_6083.jpg

Also while upside down and easily accessible, I added the gas strut mounts as well. (can see the screw detail here as well)
IMG_6082.jpg

Once it was assembled to the roof, put the bottom frame back on the mounts I then got some stands to hold the roof a little ways off the base so I could assemble the bottom of the skirt while it wasn't taught.
When I had it all screwed and mounted in, I added the wood to hold it open and then mounted in the gas struts.
The gas struts alone held it up surprisingly well, but putting it down without some guidance was almost impossible!
IMG_6089.jpg

The most dangerous and nerve racking part of the day was the lift.. I reckon all in the roof and frames weigh in excess of 80-100kg.
I decided best course of action was to lift the entire assembly up to the roof and then drive the truck underneath to get it in position.
As I couldn't get it high enough to install it open, I removed the gas struts and moved the bottom frame into position to mount it then lowered it down to the closed position.
At the same time I added in the glue to connect the pop top to the canopy.
I also added the modified canopy lifters to lift the canopy up and down.. The design wasn't great for connecting to the roof panel, I ended up using rivnuts to hold it to the roof.
Probably not an ideal long term solution, so let's see how they hold up. Worst case I can glue a aluminium plate and reattach them to it if they fail.
IMG_9121.JPG

Whilst closed it was a good time to put on the clamps. You can see the interface between the pop top and the canopy in the below pic.
I'm going to add some automotive silicon into this gap to seal it all up as a bead around the join.
You can also see how millimeter perfect the doors are to the roof when open (brag brag), it's tight but just right!
IMG_6095.jpg

Now time for some internal fitouts and to get away!

Below is in the packed up position..

IMG_6099.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94