It's Friday, let's talk cocktails.

Doc_

Sammich!
If I'm backpacking, I keep it simple, powerful , bang for the ounce. Whiskey, sometimes mezcal or brandy in there. Usually a nice bourbon and a nice malt, both decanted into Fiji bottles. I will make cocktails on the river. Some classics, daiquiris, sours. Schweppes tonic, one can will make three or four small G&Ts. Fresh limes a must. Classic legit Mai Tai's about the biggest surprise on the river.
I'm definitely a fan of the bang-for-the-buck aspect when making cocktails for backpacking: my rule of thumb is that it has to be worth carrying on your back.
As my Backpacking Cocktails series progresses, I've got a few mad science tricks up my sleeve to try and replicate more classics like Sidecars and Margaritas.

Oh man, a good quality real-deal Mai-Tai is really incredible

Mtn Mike

Observer
Can I play. There's a ratio that's easy to remember at the campsite and very versatile for almost any drink based on alcohol and citrus, which I love....Margaritas, daiquiri, mojito, lemon drop, whiskey sours, mint julip etc.

1 part fresh citrus,
1 part (or less) simple syrup or sweat liquor
2 parts alcohol,
1"feature" ingredient to taste (such as fruit or mint). Put it all in a shaker with ice and go at it.

Don't misunderstand; These aren't supposed to be sweat drinks like what you had in college or what you'll get at most bars. I only use 1/2 -1 shot of syrup. Of course you can modify the ratios and techniques to taste.

jkam

nomadic man
I'm a Tequila drinker. Prefer the clear stuff as I don't like the flavor of barrel aged.
Chilled Kirkland Silver Tequila with a key lime squeezed into it is all I need.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm a Tequila drinker. Prefer the clear stuff as I don't like the flavor of barrel aged.
Chilled Kirkland Silver Tequila with a key lime squeezed into it is all I need.
I've looked at that Kirkland tequila a few times but never pulled the trigger. Decent? Anything you would compare it to?

I've bought their vodka a few times and was happy with it.

jkam

nomadic man
I've looked at that Kirkland tequila a few times but never pulled the trigger. Decent? Anything you would compare it to?

I've bought their vodka a few times and was happy with it.

As far as I can tell, pretty much all Kirkland branded products exceed expectations. They have some of the same companies that make name brands make their products too. The Silver Tequila is excellent, especially at $20 for 1.75 liters. It isn't quite as smooth as Don Julio, but close enough for the price difference.
I drink Tequila exclusively, have tried hundreds of different brands, the Kirkland is right up there with most of the better ones I've tried.
No reason to spend more, a lot of people mess up Tequila with additives, but a key lime squeezed in is all I need.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
As far as I can tell, pretty much all Kirkland branded products exceed expectations. They have some of the same companies that make name brands make their products too. The Silver Tequila is excellent, especially at $20 for 1.75 liters. It isn't quite as smooth as Don Julio, but close enough for the price difference.
I drink Tequila exclusively, have tried hundreds of different brands, the Kirkland is right up there with most of the better ones I've tried.
No reason to spend more, a lot of people mess up Tequila with additives, but a key lime squeezed in is all I need.

It’s makes really good margaritas!

MTVR

Oh man, a good quality real-deal Mai-Tai is really incredible

We have found that the term "Mai Tai" actually covers a wide range of cocktails, from ghetto POG & rum versions, to Trader Vic's original 1947 recipe. I purchased all the individual components for the latter and tweaked the recipe to taste, and I encourage others to do the same. The dark rum float on the top just adds to the fun in the presentation.

And they do taste better on the beach at sunset...

Last edited:
I’ve become a fan of the Hazy IPA’s. They are on the lighter side if the IPA kingdom , more “juicy” less mega hop influence .

ITTOG

I will have to share this thread with my wife and a couple friends. I like cocktails but get a lot of grief for it. It seems most believe cocktails are for women. But my preference is always Don Julio Tequila, Gentleman's Jack, just about any port, and dark beer.

Of all the drinks discussed so far I like the Mojito the most.

Blowby

The Don Julio is a favourite of ours and I do believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to good Tequila!
Myself being originally from NZ I have been accustomed to my Saturday night rum and coke which consists of a Bundaberg Rum which happens to be Australian made and unfortunately unobtainable in the US of A!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94