The "Expedition hat" thread

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks. That's what I have been looking for.
I'll be getting one of those soon.
I have a very old Stetson that's similar but with more "pinch" in front. A bit warm for summer wear (thank you Tilley) but great for fall and much of winter around here.

krick3tt

Adventurer
My Stetson is black and really not the best for summer wear also so a lighter color would be better and a wider brim for summer.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Couple of yrs ago kids were full time swim team which ment hours pool side. I found this hat. I have a couple now. Totally worth the money. I can’t stand hot no ventilation hats in hot weather. This hat has been great

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Couple of yrs ago kids were full time swim team which ment hours pool side. I found this hat. I have a couple now. Totally worth the money. I can’t stand hot no ventilation hats in hot weather. This hat has been great

You can buy what’s essentially the same mesh ventilated hat at Costco for @ $10....you don’t need to spend $62!

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have a hat with the ventilated sides that I wore for a safari in Africa and it served me well there. Had it so long it escapes me where I got it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We had this discussion on WTW.
Yeah my non hat wearing buddies are hitting the age where skin cancer is a reality and are all picking up hats now. Life has gone from talking hot girls and fast cars to hats?

ultraclyde

Observer
I'm a hat guy. Even before I went bald, lol. I wear a hat every day I leave the house and my collection keeps growing. My goto for summer adventure and boating is a Shelta Seahawk with boonie style crown:
1597342153558.png
Yeah, it's pricey. But all their hats have a molded plastic insert in the brim that keeps them from flopping. Thirty knots running my boat up the marsh and it doesn't fold over. Plus it's light weight, it floats, it sheds rain, has a hidden pocket in the crown, and enough room in the crown to keep my head cool in the deep south. Seriously, I have boxes of cheap boonie hats but this thing is a game changer. If you're a boonie hat fan you owe it to yourself to check their line out.

In the winter I usually wear my rain hat for outdoor stuff, a Bailey Dalton It's a cotton-poly blend fedora that sheds rain like a duck and has a wide enough brim to keep the drips out of your collar. Kind of between a Tilley style and an Akubra cattleman's hat:
1597342475790.png
Only down side is that it's stiff enough that the brim drags the headrest, have to take it off while driving. Mine has a custom oiled leather band these days and a couple feathers for good measure.

I also bought a WIIIIIIDE brim straw surf hat recently that works great in the sun but gives me a different look than the Shelta when I'm hanging out and not working too hard. And there's a whole collection I for the rest of my life - wool, straw, even a custom Panama hat made to my spec. Some guys like watches, I like hats.

jerdog53

Explorer
I picked up a field hat by Tom Bigbee a waxed canvas high quality item that is now my Expedition Hat.

Hats_700x_crop_center.jpg

200724_TomBeckbe19556_700x_crop_center.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles