Gen 3 traction control problems

keilefson

I was driving the other day in my 06 limited and noticed the slip indicator light coming on while accelerating on a dry paved road. I also have noticed that the switch to turn off the traction control now does not disable it. Any recommendations on where to start looking for the culprit?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I really have no idea, but an easy place to start is with the brake wear sensor in the rear caliper, or possibly just go ahead and replace the brake switch under the dash that reads when you push on the brake pedal. A crap ton of systems read this input, so if its flakey (and after a million or two actions, its prone to be), its cheap insurance to replace it. Its about $30 for OEM

keilefson

I should mention that it does not have this problem when in 4WD. Not sure if that helps at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
How many times have you seen it do this? Is it repeatable, can you make it happen when you want to? Reason I ask is don’t be too sure the 4wd thing is legit yet, unless you can hit a quiet road somewhere and test it a few times to confirm under the same conditions. Otherwise I’d be looking at wheel speed sensors, the heart of ABS and traction control systems, and in my experience the most likely failure point. This means electrical, which can be intermittent. Does your ABS work right? Find some gravel and lock em up, see if you get an ABS error.

Last edited:

dpspc9

I had this issue, traction control light would come on under acceleration or if I hit a bump. Check your front brake dust covers. I had one come loose. I removed it, problem solved. Almost certain this issue occurred for me in both 2 and 4wd.

offthepath

Adventurer
Not sure about the error light, but you cannot turn the traction control off unless you are going under either 20 or 15mph. If you were going faster, it will not turn off.

keilefson

How many times have you seen it do this? Is it repeatable, can you make it happen when you want to? Reason I ask is don’t be too sure the 4wd thing is legit yet, unless you can hit a quiet road somewhere and test it a few times to confirm under the same conditions. Otherwise I’d be looking at wheel speed sensors, the heart of ABS and traction control systems, and in my experience the most likely failure point. This means electrical, which can be intermittent. Does your ABS work right? Find some gravel and lock em up, see if you get an ABS error.

Only saw it do this the last time I drove it, and haven’t driven it since. It did seem to consistently happen when accelerating in 2WD. I switched it to 4wd, and was unable to replicate it, and I left it in 4WD then. I’ll have to try again here soon. Recently I had to change a speed sensor because I replaced a steering knuckle and it was rusted in. Might have to check that out.

keilefson

I had this issue, traction control light would come on under acceleration or if I hit a bump. Check your front brake dust covers. I had one come loose. I removed it, problem solved. Almost certain this issue occurred for me in both 2 and 4wd.

Do you just run it without dust covers now? Any downside to that?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Do you just run it without dust covers now? Any downside to that?

I’d be asking what effect a dust cover could possibly have on an electronic system......ultimately id guess it’s still somehow related to the wheel speed sensor. Dust covers and speed sensors are in the same neighborhood.

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
It will disable traction/stability control if it has an active or a pending code that affects the powertrain. Any auto parts store should be able to check it for free.

If it is only a pending code, it will clear itself once the ignition is cycled. It will then check again once powered up.

dpspc9

The dust cover was completely disconnected. I only removed it to stop the clanking it caused at full lock. I was surprised it solved the traction light issue, I'm certain it disrupted the speed sensor. Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, everything seems fine w/o it ... I bet it's something to do with your speed sensor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles