jkam

nomadic man
This looks interesting.
https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2005-Gmc-C5500+TOPKICK-5013155433
5f08bec29d84374d77045465.jpg

5f08bee2976a69301e75cb47.jpg

eporter

Adventurer
Woah. 7997 miles?! I wonder what this was doing out in the desert?

Looks like ambo/erv/swat van style tubular aluminum box construction. Probably wasn’t cheap!

“Box is a load bearing structure designed for off road usage built for the U.S. government.”

26’ long...big but it’s a whole house. Could make a real cool RV with just a couple windows. Price doesn’t seem that bad for what you get, especially compared to most 4x4 RV/overlander/earthromerish rigs.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Probably sat most of the time except for a once a year drill. Looks like a command center. I went out and worked on an International truck kind of like this a month ago, it was a dive team truck for one of the dams in eastern WA. Not used very much but did go out every so often on dive training.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Lots of potential there.
With a few 'tweaks', (easier done via photochop than real life)
or.jpg

Disclaimer - no relation to seller or vehicle.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
He took a deposit today...sent me an email
Woo hoo, road trip. Where are you taking it? Check tires, belts, and hoses real good for dry rot but I expect you'll be good to go. Really look at the front tires good because they are probably original and it would suck to have one blow out.

IndianaDano

Woo hoo, road trip. Where are you taking it? Check tires, belts, and hoses real good for dry rot but I expect you'll be good to go. Really look at the front tires good because they are probably original and it would suck to have one blow out.
I’m sorry he took a deposit from someone else luckier than I am.

NevadaRV

Everyone,

Glad I found you guys! I am actually the seller. Unfortunately the individual who was going to buy it had to back out due to personal reasons so it is back on the market. I would be glad to chat with anyone who has questions either on this forum, PM or cell phone.

NevadaRV

Glad you found us! Any background on this rig for us armchair overlanders? Curious what govt agency spent the big bucks for it, and what they used it for. Cool rig for sure.

It's a Federal law enforcement command center. From what I was told by Girling- the company who built it- this was 1 of 20 built from plans submitted buy the Feds specifically for use in remote, offroad locations. Very few of the 20 were 4x4 I was told. I'm an RV dealer and I bought it to convert to a overland camper. Was going to lift it and run super singles with military tires etc. etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles