Full Size Overlanding In Namibia/Botswana?

sg1

Adventurer
There are none in Canada. Even the Ranger is different from the the ones sold in the rest of the world. The Transit and the Sprinter are about the only vehicles sold in Canada which can be a good base for an overland vehicle and are at least very similar to the ones sold in the rest of the world. Sprinters have of course the problem of the modern diesel with its emission control systems. By the way North American Land Cruisers are very different from the ones in the rest of the world and Tacomas are not available outside North America. But in my experience the problem of parts availability is overrated. I have traveled through Africa, Europe and the Americas in my camper since 2010. New well maintained vans and trucks are very reliable. You should carry brake pads and filters and if you need other parts I and the other overlanders I met always found a way of getting parts shipped. Worst case you have to wait a few days or even weeks (never happened to me) but if you are in a hurry you shouldn't go on a trip like this. Too many things can happen that play havoc with your schedule if you are foolish enough to have one.

sg1

Adventurer
Based on your experience driving the F-150 did you find it capable enough for Botswana, or did you find the popular Hilux to be more capable in that terrain?
I visited almost every National Park in Botswana with my Ford Transit AWD. I made it without mishap but it was sometimes close. The biggest problem was tire size and ground clearance with my 225/75R16 tires. The local Toyota usually have at least 245/75R16 and up. All the Safari operators drive Landys, Toyota 78 or 79 or Hilux usually with 245 or 265 tires. Their vehicles with the theater style seats are usually about about 80 inches wide and with the sun tarp about 100 inches high. Anything with 4wd, at least similar ground clearance which isn't much bigger should be OK. By the way the LC 79 with 9 tourists have on paper 3500 kg but in reality probably more.

alanymarce

Based on your experience driving the F-150 did you find it capable enough for Botswana, or did you find the popular Hilux to be more capable in that terrain?

The F150 was a lot less practical; I used it only when I was unable to get one of the smaller pickups. Soon after that I bought my own vehicle.

alanymarce

Show me a non RTT setup that is common to be found in South Africa, that has at least 2 beds.

So here's a "pop-top" Land Cruiser "Troopy" - not good photos, I'm afraid however they do illustrate the idea. One bed in the main cab, and one in the "pop-top". Both are double beds if needed. This was in Australia, when we were joined by family for a week in Kakadu, however this type of vehicle can be found in other parts of the world. We've seen them in South America and Africa.
IMG_1846.jpgIMG_3753 copy.JPG

...and here's a screenshot from a rental company offering them in South Africa.
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 08.52.39.png

Humvee4us

The F150 was a lot less practical; I used it only when I was unable to get one of the smaller pickups. Soon after that I bought my own vehicle.
I'm curious, what was impractical about the F-150. Was it the size or is it overl just not made for an environment as Botswana?

alanymarce

I'm curious, what was impractical about the F-150. Was it the size or is it overl just not made for an environment as Botswana?

Track was an issue - 2.0 m (more or less) versus 1.8 m for a Hilux and a 70 series. May not seem much, but you're scuffing the tyres all the time if you stay in the existing tracks (ruts), or you put one wheel in a rut and the other is higher up on the edge of the other rut. My recollection is that the F150 didn't last long. One other recollection is that the steering arm was damaged on one occasion so may have been somewhat exposed.

alanymarce

Well then name a Pick Up from Canada that is not going to be out of place. How about showing me where in Canada might I locate a Ford Ranger from other parts of the world with a lot better payload then you can get on a half ton in N.A.

I have no idea why a Canadian Ranger would not be fundamentally the same as one from Argentina (for example) - the Argentine 4x4 double cab has a 970 Kg load capacity (https://www.ford.com.ar/crossovers-...cabina-doble-4-4-diesel/?intcmp=vhp-new-model ). The Ford Canada website shows a load capacity of 844 Kg. I can't imagine that the base structure is much different.

You do see Rangers in Australia, however not many in Africa (they are available).

C p weinberger

You can take anything you want to drive in Africa, I’ve seen it all. Whatever you take may perform 100% to you satisfaction and surprise all doubters.
With that said, if you want to take a vehicle that is LIKELY to be less problematic then others, your choices are limited. In the past American vehicles didn’t perform well in Africa.
If you are following a group of cruisers into the bush with a f150, at some point you will stop and say to yourself “I can’t go there without likelyhood of issues, this is where I turn around”
Did you ever see movie man from snowy river? The scene where all riders stop at the rim staring down at the fleeing wild horses And only one man on a wild horse follows over the rim..cruiser is riding a wild horse. Need and want. I want A roomy comfortable 4x4 to travel in Africa, you need a capable 4x4. The farther your wants and needs are from each when traveling to developing countries the more it is prudent to stay and travel around North America.
Note; Another issue with a wide vehicle track versus the typical narrower tracked vehicles that are using the trail is not only the rough ride, there are small broken tree stumps sticking up that tear your side walls a little off the narrower track

Furaites

Hmmm it is good points, but the other option is a Transit Cab and Chassis. It has a few things the F150 doesn’.

1. Slightly more payload
2. More wide spread support for repair
3. More overall length
4. Wider track in the rear
5. Most are RWD

alanymarce

Hmmm it is good points, but the other option is a Transit Cab and Chassis. It has a few things the F150 doesn’.

When I was back-packing in Africa (many years ago) I was given a ride by a couple from NZ who were driving a Transit 2x4. It was good for their needs - mostly highway, camping in the van, room enough to cook inside.

sg1

Adventurer
I think we are talking about the Sacu (South African Customs Union) with Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and the little countries inbetween. We are not talking about the Congos or Central Africa. were infrastructure (or the lack thereof) is very challenging. If you really want to go there we would have a totally differnt discussion.
Last time I was in the Sacu (2012) all the public roads were paved or gravel (Namibia). They may have a lot of huge potholes or horrible washboard but no ruts. They are used by at least medium duty (Fuso or similar) trucks and buses. The exception is Kaokoveld in Northern Namibia, but there the problem is rocks and gravel in river crossings etc. Ruts let alone tree stumps are the least of your problems in this challenging area.
The only ruted tracks I found were in the central Kalahari ( again no tree stumps you couldn´t easily avoid) and in some National Parks in Botswana. In these NPs there are are lot of South African 4wd fans with Land Cruisers and other 4wd vehicles with huge (315/57R16) tires and sometimes trailers. These large and wide tires and the fact that the newer 78/79 Cruisers have a wider track than the old 75 series with skinny 7.50 R16 tires have reduced the problem. I am not suggesting that you won´t have an occassional problem for a few hundred meters but it is not widespread. Of course it is better to use a local Cruiser or a Ranger/Hilux when in the Sacu but if you are on a worldtour and you can´t buy a new rig in each new area you have to make do with something that works, you can afford and is available in the place you build. I have seen people with any type of vehicle do these trips. If you are in a particularily challenging NP (Moremi) worst case is that you keep your camper on the campground and make the game drive with one of the local operators who are more than happy to oblige. By the way this way you are much more likely to see animals because they know where they are and have an amazing ability to spot a well camouflaged animal where you see nothing.

Humvee4us

I think we are talking about the Sacu (South African Customs Union) with Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and the little countries inbetween. We are not talking about the Congos or Central Africa. were infrastructure (or the lack thereof) is very challenging. If you really want to go there we would have a totally differnt discussion.
Last time I was in the Sacu (2012) all the public roads were paved or gravel (Namibia). They may have a lot of huge potholes or horrible washboard but no ruts. They are used by at least medium duty (Fuso or similar) trucks and buses. The exception is Kaokoveld in Northern Namibia, but there the problem is rocks and gravel in river crossings etc. Ruts let alone tree stumps are the least of your problems in this challenging area.
The only ruted tracks I found were in the central Kalahari ( again no tree stumps you couldn´t easily avoid) and in some National Parks in Botswana. In these NPs there are are lot of South African 4wd fans with Land Cruisers and other 4wd vehicles with huge (315/57R16) tires and sometimes trailers. These large and wide tires and the fact that the newer 78/79 Cruisers have a wider track than the old 75 series with skinny 7.50 R16 tires have reduced the problem. I am not suggesting that you won´t have an occassional problem for a few hundred meters but it is not widespread. Of course it is better to use a local Cruiser or a Ranger/Hilux when in the Sacu but if you are on a worldtour and you can´t buy a new rig in each new area you have to make do with something that works, you can afford and is available in the place you build. I have seen people with any type of vehicle do these trips. If you are in a particularily challenging NP (Moremi) worst case is that you keep your camper on the campground and make the game drive with one of the local operators who are more than happy to oblige. By the way this way you are much more likely to see animals because they know where they are and have an amazing ability to spot a well camouflaged animal where you see nothing.
Actually yes, for the Congo and Central Africa, would an F-150 or F-250 do, or they would limit my ability to traverse that terrain?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Actually yes, for the Congo and Central Africa, would an F-150 or F-250 do, or they would limit my ability to traverse that terrain?

Don't be silly. All of the roads are used by 5+ ton trucks. Your biggest problem will be that they have churned up so much mud that nothing will get through until the dry season.

There are two questions here:

-- Size: Other than parks, etc., there are really no legal limits. Track width/branches may or may not be issues, but again, most roads in all parts of Africa are used by 5 ton trucks and up - most of Southern Africa by tractor trailers.

-- US or other alien vehicle. I had Blazers in Africa for years (see avatar :D), but I imported my own spares, owned the specialty tools, and did my own work or worked with know local mechanics.

For most folks, the Toyata Land Cruiser is a good starting part as it it large enough for two people and common enough for parts and service. But do note that Toyotas sold in the US are very different from those sold elseswhere.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne