Lift options Gmc Savana

mapper

Explorer
So, I feel kind of stupid for asking this question but after reading through all the lifting options I'm unclear on one element. When adding the #22-907 92-99 Suburban springs you mention that 1 7/8" is added from the spring thickness along. You also mention that the spring arch is similar but you have 3" rear lift. Are you using 2" lift blocks along with the Suburban springs, or just the Suburban springs?

kstarr

So, I feel kind of stupid for asking this question but after reading through all the lifting options I'm unclear on one element. When adding the #22-907 92-99 Suburban springs you mention that 1 7/8" is added from the spring thickness along. You also mention that the spring arch is similar but you have 3" rear lift. Are you using 2" lift blocks along with the Suburban springs, or just the Suburban springs?

Not a stupid question at all. There's lots of info that can be challenging to sift through.

I have been meaning to do a write up on my 06 Savana, but life just keeps prolonging it. The short story is that I just did the Suburban leaf, new keys, longer shock lift from the information that is floating around this site. I bought the blocks, but didn't end up using them because it "stink bugged" the back end.

robotfist

I am new to all this and am trying to figure everything out. I just bought a 2010 GMV 1500 Savana AWD. I'm going to be putting in a 2"-3" lift kit on it next week. What shocks do you recommend for my setup? I saw that someone recommended Bilstein #24-186643 for the front end and Bilstein #24-185615 for the rear. Would these shocks work for my setup? I want to make sure I keep my vehicle safe when hitting highway bumps and don't want to be bouncing all over the place.

robotfist

You should do the lift first then get your actual measurements before selecting/buying your new shocks.
Thank you for the advice. I'll wait until afterwards to get the shocks. I was hoping to follow someone else's model so I can have everything done all at once, but if it's better to wait for the shocks, that's what I'll do.

What do people recommend concerning a 2" lift kit? I was looking at the Boulder Off Road Vans kit but noticed they are $100 more expensive than the Journeys Off Road kit. A third option is the Traxda. Seems like the Journey's kit is the best deal.

Any reason the Boulder is more expensive? Is one lift kit better than another?

BOULDER OFFROAD VANS - 2" LIFT - $350 + Shipping
http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com/chevy-gmc-awd-van-lift-kits
Includes torsion keys, front shock extenders, rear lift blocks and u-bolts.

JOURNEY'S OFFROAD - 3"/2" LIFT - $269 (includes shipping)
http://journeysoffroad.com/expresssavanna-lift-kits.html
Includes two "JOR 3" Front Torsion Lifting Keys", two 2" Rear Leaf Spring spacers, four powers coated U-Bolts, two shock extenders.

TRAXDA 3" Front and 1" Rear Lift - $309 + Shipping
https://traxda.com/chevy/express-1500/2003-2016-chevy-express-1500-4x4-lift-kit.html
Includes 2 front torsion keys, 2 shock brackets, plated u-bolts and hardware, 2 replacement rear blocks.

Last edited:

bigrene_82

Does anyone know if the 92-99 suburban springs mod good for the 98-02 express/Savana vans or is that mod only work for the 03-newer vans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyByReckoning

So as not to make a new thread about an old topic, I'll resurrect this thread that has not been discussed lately. I bought an '05 Regency Express AWD van almost a year ago now. Immediately I had my friend at Colorado Custom Campers here in Steamboat Springs take out the rear seating and build it into a camper with a bed and a kitchenette. I've been very happy with it but, never satisfied, I decided to put a bit of a lift and bigger tires on it to take it form the highway cruiser Regency built it as, to a more mountain-ready vehicle. I bought Boulder Van's 2" kit complete with the beefier rear leaf spring, new shocks and the torsion bar keys. I was also able to score a set of 18" wheels and 265/65R18 tires used off a '19 Silverado on Craigslist. It's going into the shop today for install, I will be sure to report on my findings and how the lift goes. For now, here is a few before pics of before any alterations, and after removing the fiberglass running board/fenders. I will post some after pics soon

image.jpegimage.jpeg

FlyByReckoning

Well the torsion bars are giving us quite the battle. This van came from the east so the undercarriage has a bunch of corrosion. Yesterday we fought the drivers side torsion bar for ~3 hours and still haven’t gotten it separated from the key. Any suggestions?273CC230-B2ED-48AD-9C11-040CA83F5D79.jpeg3CF8BAF2-1E32-4D64-A9FB-3767F01A0BD9.jpeg

SlimKiteGuy

Hey FlyByReckoning, what shocks did you get with the BoR lift kit? Can you share part numbers? I was looking at the BoR 2” prorunner kit that comes with shocks but they cost more than the other kits and $85 to ship, which seems crazy! Their website does not give any details on the Bilstein shocks it comes with, doesn’t even have that kit listed which is kind of lame.

Sorry that I can’t help you with your torsion bar problem but am anxious to what others will say. I am very new to this with a newly acquired 2009 Chevy Express AWD.

Also, I never saw a response to Robofist’s question above comparing the 3 lift kit options for the AWD. If anyone knows the differences and which is better, I would love to hear from you!

FlyByReckoning

image.jpeg

Very happy with the results of the Boulder Offroad Van kit! I was able to score a set of Chevy 18" wheels with the 265 tire I needed off a '19 Silverado that fits amazing. I didn't remember to take a pic of the part number of the Bilstin shocks but give BoR a call and I'm sure they'd be glad to give you that info. Aside from the difficulty of separating the old tortion key from the bar, it took me some doing to get the front ride hight just right. Part of the trouble was that we opted for new tortion key bolts that were too long. The first attempt I did as the instructions indicate and marked the threads in order to put it back where it was before removal. This resulted in too much bolt showing in a very vulnerable place hanging down from the cross-member. Second attempt, I cranked the tortion keys way up in order to put the bolt head safely between the cross-member. This made the front of the van too much taller that the rear. Third time is a charm. I removed the bolts, cut ~1" off and reinstalled. This length was the Goldilocks range, putting the bolt head safely between the cross-members, providing the perfect amount of lift and adequate range for small adjustments if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94