Is This Even a Thing? New to Overlanding

CJMACK

Are you dead set on a 4runner?
No. But I arrived at that based on a couple of months of research. Here’s the thought process.

I will almost certainly use my overlander as a daily driver too.
I want a vehicle that is off road capable in its stock form.
I‘m partial to an SUV to keep my stuff dry (I realize bed covers do this too).
I observe that Toyotas are generally viewed as being more reliable than Jeeps.

But I am a blank canvas. Somebody I trust could completely alter my thinking. My wife wants us to get a Wrangler!

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
No. But I arrived at that based on a couple of months of research. Here’s the thought process.

But I am a blank canvas. Somebody I trust could completely alter my thinking. My wife wants us to get a Wrangler!

Well, the 4Runner is a great choice to be sure. I have a 2015 Trail that I kept stock for ages. I upgraded the tires to 275/70-17 General ATXs last year which are about 32.25 Inches and kept it at the stock height. They work great and didn't rub at all. The only let down was that the stock shocks didn't like the weight of my LT tires compared to the P rated tires that are stock as much, having said that I wouldn't let that hold you back at all from that simple upgrade. This year I put a modest lift (Ironman Nitrocharged with a heavier duty rear spring) and those shocks handle the rotating mass of the tire perfectly.

As for the Wrangler - it's a fantastic rig. I've driven the JKU quite a bit, but haven't tried the latest gen yet. The on road manners and fuel economy of the 4Runner were much better than my experience in the JKU which made the 4Runner a more appealing daily driver when I bought mine, but the Jeep is great. As for off road, a 4Runner can get you anywhere a 4 door Jeep can take you easily (unless that jeep has been modified with a lift and 35s or larger tires - on 33's they're a wash). Reliability, the 4Runner objectively better, but the Jeep is just fine. I say drive what you like!

jadmt

ignore button user

#1 rule in life...happy wife happy life....do not break rule #1

I have owned 4 jk wranglers and never had an issue with any of them.

CJMACK

Reliability, the 4Runner objectively better, but the Jeep is just fine. I say drive what you like!

So this is a very big part of my thought process. It’s a huge reason why I’m somewhat confident a lightly used 5th gen 4Runner is in my future.

jadmt

ignore button user
my buddy just traded a 2020 4runner after 4 months. At first he said he loved it but grew tired of it very quickly. he said the drive train needed an upgrade and hated the transmission. It would be a good one to buy as he put a falcon lift and warn bumper and smittybilt winch on it. it has Falken atw3 tires as well.

never been offroad and my buddy is a clean freak. Not a speck of dust anywhere.

Boatbuilder79

So, I’m retiring soon and plan to get a lightly used 4Runner and build it so that I can go to wild places that are off the beaten path. My interest is not technical trails or challenging myself to see how many times I can get stuck in mud and snow. I just want a very capable vehicle to get me to scenic far away places safely and reliably. I’ve enjoyed backpacking and car camping but I want the convenience of taking the comfort items and RTT that a robust 4WD vehicle will allow. If you’re familiar with the kind of travel that Chris Shontz does on the YouTube channel ”Adventure 4WD“ that’s what I’m talking about, but not full time as he does. I plan to start getting out there as soon as I get the 4Runner and gradually expand my horizons as I get experience handling it off road and get it more and more built out in the way I’d like. I have zero off road driving experience and have never owned a 4WD car or truck.

I realize that the stock 4Runner is a pretty capable SUV but I would envision eventually having the following kinds of mods not in this particular order...
- A 2 or 3 inch lift
- larger tires (not sure if I’d need or want 35s or if 33s will do)
- rear bumper (probably with dual swing outs)
- a versatile roof rack
- rock sliders

Of lesser importance, but still seeming great to have would be onboard air, a front bumper, maybe some enhanced light options and probably a winch. Maybe some armor underneath? To be clear, I know from reading these forums that I don’t “need” all this.

I’m not a moron, but I’m not a “car guy“. I’m not confident in my ability to install a suspension lift, or rip out the rear bumper and put a new one in. I have watched videos of professionals doing these things, but generally those aren’t how-to videos with step by step instruction. I want to be able to diagnose problems and make basic repairs when I am in remote places. Hoping I don’t get some stock responses about being stupid because I’m not a capable auto mechanic. I’m aware of my limitations and trying to address them.

My perfect scenario would be to find an off-road fabrication shop that would do the installations I plan and allow me to learn from them while they do the install. I’d be thrilled to actually help with the install but would be content to merely watch and learn. Is this even a thing? Would any fabricator do this? My thought is that I want to build a relationship with the shop so that I could rely on their input and recommendations as to exactly what equipment would work best to get the build I am seeking.

Doing it this way, I get the overlander I want and I get smarter about it at the same time. Again, is this even a thing?

4 runners have TINY gas tanks so be careful with lifts and tires. It really stinks having to stop all the time for mo gas. Also be careful of weight. Bumpers are heavy.

You don’t want to have to stop for gas every 100 miles.

lockers are wonderful things.
Skid plates are good to have.
A 2 inch suspension lift is on our short list of mods to do.
A winch and A way to air down and back up are good to have but you can use a portable compressor and a come along.

Boatbuilder79

Great stuff from everyone. Tons of good suggestions. Thank you.

Just some additional information that might impact anyone else who wants to share their thoughts. I’ve changed a few dozen tires. Until the 90s I used to change my own oil fluids and filters. I’ve replaced worn out brake pads and belts. But I don’t have advanced automotive repair skills. If I have a transmission problem, or had some problem with the suspension I’d need help. I know plenty of people who know less about automotive repair than me, but if I’m going in remote place, I’d prefer to be more competent about most of the systems in the car. But me being knowledgeable about general automotive repair is actually a tangent to the main question.

The main thrust of my original post has to do with weather or not the guys I have doing vehicle mods for me (whenever that is and whatever mods those happen to be) would likely be inclined to allow me to get an education from them while they are doing the work. I fully realize that an off-road fabrication business is not a general “auto repair shop”. I’m not thinking that a guy installing a bumper for me is going to teach me about trouble shooting a sway bar problem or some issue with differential lockers. I get that.

But is it weird for me to ask to be involved in the install and thereby learn much more about any particular mod that I’m doing?

do the work yourself. Just figure it out.
Seriously You will not learn anything worth knowing from bubba with a neck tattoo at 4 wheel parts. He doesn’t know anything. He was selling vacuum cleaners door to door last week.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've owned seven Jeeps over the past 18 years and I have had major issues with nearly every single one of them. Some related to age/wear but the majority were simply due to inferior parts and design. That said, they are extremely capable off-road and nothing compares to the after market scene they have going for them.

I have had 14 different Toyota/Lexus products in the past 20 years and I have only had an issue with one of them and it was far from major and more directly related to age than failed engineering or inferior parts. Is a Toyota product more reliable overall, certainly and my personal experience echoes that, will it be a better vehicle overall, that's debatable and dependent on what exactly you want out of or expect from the vehicle.

I'd go drive both and see for yourselves, while both vehicles provide similar experiences and lifestyles, they are very different in how they go about it. Even though I have been burned multiple times by the Jeep product I am still not opposed to the possibility of a diesel Gladiator Rubicon in the future. That new Bronco is a strong contender too if you can hold off until next year. Best of luck in your search.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Best advice on here is to join a club, make a few friends, help them with their projects on their rigs and learn from their mistakes paid for with their money, then start your own journey.

Modify as you go or as things are needed. Very few adventure vehicles roll out of the shop perfect but hauling a heavy mortgage, most are built adventure by adventure during the time between. As a retiree you have the advantage of time, something I wish for daily.

Protour15

Climbing a ladder to get in a tent is silly. You gotta pee in a bottle in the middle of the night, if you need to get up you have to go down a ladder. Maybe fine if your 29 but if you’re 60 a lot less fun. Sleeping inside is the way to go. Less setup time if any, lower to the ground, hard sides in bear country. RTT’s are trendy but I’ve gone many far away places in extreme comfort in my 2WD van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

#1 rule in life...happy wife happy life....do not break rule #1

This is very true and why I have a 4 door full size and a travel trailer instead of a tent...gotta keep momma happy.

If you travel alone, electric winches are the cheapest and the easiest way to get moving again if stuck, slid off the road etc on the condition you have trees around (I love forests). Using a come along or shovels and jacks in 40 degC or mounting chains while bogged in snow and ice makes you happily spend the few hundred $ on an electric winch at the first opportunity. Apart from that and tyres I'd keep it as close to stock as possible.

skyfree

My Chevy ZR2 Duramax is bone stock except for shock skids. I don't hesitate to follow my long-time overlanding friends wherever they go. Once I had to pull the plug and turn around in deep endless mud, but other than that the vehicle can hang. My point as others have said is to not go overboard on mods. That vehicle has a large range with stock fuel tank and that is a limitation some of my friends run into long before I do.

Most of the capability limits with overlanding vehicles seem to be with the bigger ones that have trouble fitting between or under things. The larger they are, the more they seem to need mods to clear sections that smaller vehicles have more line options in.

If you are alone, you will need more extensive recovery gear, be proficient at patching tires, and have some way of communicating in case of emergency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online