New Bronco

jingram

Adventurer
What did you all think of Bronco debut this evening? Seemed to out Defender the Defender and out Wrangler the Wrangler. Obviously news is going to trickle in for some time and we won't see these things for nearly a year, but on the surface this checked a lot of my boxes for my next vehicle replacement, including the manual transmission!

CTDJeeperman

I think this will steal a large market share from Jeep. Myself included, I thought about a diesel Gladiator, but now would take a 4 dr Wildtrack over that no question. Overall I’m very impressed with new the Bronco. I wish you could get a manual with the bigger engine, but oh well the 10 spd auto is likely awesome if anything like the Raptor/Expedition.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Great to see the Bronco is back! Love the 2 door. I would bet the farm on it having its own Bronco forum here. Can’t wait to see these on the trails!

I am extremely interested. Hits nearly every box in factory form. I hope it has an extended range fuel tank option. Looks like a very promising platform.

XJLI

Adventurer
Can't wait to see more real reviews and such when they get launched to press. I just need a little bit more rear seat room that you get in the JL and I'll be sold. I can deal with the low cargo capacity by supplementing with racks and such. I love that in typical Ford fashion, you can add the off-road pack to ANY trim. You aren't stuck with a top of the line model just to get the goodies. Pricing looks great.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I think this will steal a large market share from Jeep. Myself included, I thought about a diesel Gladiator, but now would take a 4 dr Wildtrack over that no question. Overall I’m very impressed with new the Bronco. I wish you could get a manual with the bigger engine, but oh well the 10 spd auto is likely awesome if anything like the Raptor/Expedition.

I know people who own jeeps and they seem to have earned their reliability reviews. That was a major turn off for me getting a gladiator. the price sealed the deal, no way am I shelling out that much cash.

I do wish the bronco had a higher tow rating. It tows 1/2 what my truck is rated at and has a lot more payload. I'm really curious how you get 1300lb payload and 3500lb towing, that just seems odd.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I can hear Jeep **************** themselves from all the way over here. The value for dollar is just not there in their lineup. Ford has given them a lot to think about. I bet the new Bronco sells like hotcakes! If I didn’t already have my convertible off-roader box ticked with my gen 1 4Runner, I’d be all over the Bronco. Toyota should also take note. This is the type of thing they should have done instead of that bloated FJ “Cruiser” turd they built. That thing was a lost opportunity!

XJLI

Adventurer
I do wish the bronco had a higher tow rating. It tows 1/2 what my truck is rated at and has a lot more payload. I'm really curious how you get 1300lb payload and 3500lb towing, that just seems odd.

I couldnt find the payload, if thats true that isn't bad at all. I don't need to tow more than 3500lbs, and if I did I'd be getting a truck instead.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

The Bronco is not intended to be a tow rig. 3500 lbs is plenty for a tent trailer, which is about the biggest thing you should be towing with one of those. The payload allows for the tongue weight appropriate for the tow rating and about 1,000 lbs on top. Those numbers work for real world use.

justbecause

perpetually lost
The Bronco is not intended to be a tow rig. 3500 lbs is plenty for a tent trailer, which is about the biggest thing you should be towing with one of those. The payload allows for the tongue weight appropriate for the tow rating and about 1,000 lbs on top. Those numbers work for real world use.
What it's intended for and what it should be able to do are different things, dodge needs to learn that and address the power wagon accordingly.

We are a family of 4 and don't rock crawl, but do like to roll the windows down. So a convertible 4 door 4x4 would be awesome. The bronco would be just about perfect if it could tow a wolfpup bh18. What offroad are you giving up to beef up towing number? Land rover did it. Jeep gladiator did it. And I read that the major difference to increase the gladiator tow numbers over regular wrangler was bigger slots between the grill for more air flow. That seems like a pretty easy fix ford.

XJLI

Adventurer
What it's intended for and what it should be able to do are different things, dodge needs to learn that and address the power wagon accordingly.

We are a family of 4 and don't rock crawl, but do like to roll the windows down. So a convertible 4 door 4x4 would be awesome. The bronco would be just about perfect if it could tow a wolfpup bh18. What offroad are you giving up to beef up towing number? Land rover did it. Jeep gladiator did it. And I read that the major difference to increase the gladiator tow numbers over regular wrangler was bigger slots between the grill for more air flow. That seems like a pretty easy fix ford.

The wheelbase and rear end design increased the Gladiator's tow numbers, not just the grille design. The grill was primarily for cooling, and is being carried over to new models years in all trims, or maybe just the ecodiesel and turbo? New Defender can tow more bc its IRS and has air suspension. You can't have it all.

justbecause

perpetually lost
The wheelbase and rear end design increased the Gladiator's tow numbers, not just the grille design. The grill was primarily for cooling, and is being carried over to new models years in all trims, or maybe just the ecodiesel and turbo? New Defender can tow more bc its IRS and has air suspension.

Good points.

You can't have it all.

Well why not?!

I could just be like a wrangler or Tacoma owner and bolt what ever I want to onto or behind the vehicle. gvwr is for the poors.

spectre6000

Observer
I've only read a single article so far that just laid out all the basics from the same press release every other article is regurgitating, but I believe they figured out the key to the Jeep magic by letting enthusiasts do the design work and actually executing. The key piece of evidence to my mind is the tree risers; no bean counter even knows what that is or would ever approve such a thing for what looks like a standard piece of trim. GM did it kinda by letting AEV sit at the table, but it needs to be done from the design phase rather than shoehorning something onto an existing platform. It reads like you'll be able to build an extremely competent rig of whatever off road flavor you choose with a full warranty. You're going to see a lot of high dollar Monroneys, and a lot of trucks that look fully built and ready for battle that never leave pavement.* Prices will be high for quite a while.

I think Chrysler's build quality and reliability have improved considerably with Fiat, and I've had too many bad experiences with Fords to ever consider owning another. If I remove my own biases though and look at the Wrangler/Bronco decision from the average Joe's perspective, it's looking like a no brainer... Were I in that market, I'd be tempted to wait a little to see what the aftermarket does, only because I see the two as being pretty evenly matched, with the Wrangler lightyears ahead in the aftermarket for the win.

*Full disclosure, I'm currently guilty of this with my Bison. To be fair though, we had a baby right before the pandemic broke out, and haven't really been able to do much anything since I took delivery.

Beltfed

It looks on the surface that Ford are actually delivering what enthusiasts want. Shocker.
I wonder if they did anything to beef up the 44s? Brakes?
35s with locked rear and front IFS are bound to break driveline, so it will be interesting to see what or how Ford deals with warranty issues when people do take them off of the beaten path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles