2019 Honda CRF 450L

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Selling the Roll n Rack? I assembled mine the other day and it's first voyage is up to New Hampshire tomorrow. I like idea of the rack it but also see the practicality of a trailer when multiple bikes are involved. I'm fortunate to already have a 5x10 utility trailer with ramp gate that I've had for years if needed. I bought the rack to avoid the whole towing/parking a trailer everywhere I go with the bike.

Did you ever have any concerns with the Rack that made you want to switch to a trailer or was it strictly a practical reason?

The rack is fantastic, no real complaints, I'm simply needing to carry more than one bike at a time these days. With the nephews starting to ride more and my stable soon to grow by a few more bikes, I need the ability to carry more than just my steed.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'll be selling the rack. I am usually with one or two buddies when I go ride so I need to carry more than just my bike. We had been relying on another buddies trailer for each trip and it's just too big and heavy for three bikes behind a midsize SUV. Instead of dealing with that or forcing multiple vehicles to meet up I went ahead and got a smaller utility trailer for the sole use of carrying motorcycles for these day and short weekend trips. Putting these bikes in the back of a lifted 3/4-ton trucks isn't the most user friendly experience either so the small trailer should be the best option. I'll post some pics of the trailer when I am done building it out.

For a lifted F250, I use a 12' long aluminum folding ramp. It's cake. I walk right next to my sport bike as it idles up the ramp.

3 Dirtbikes fit just fine. Two bikes is more optimal because of the size of my ramp. The ramp needs to be strapped well to keep from eating nicer bikes.

That rack is great because the extensions allow you to strap the bikes securely, but very close to the bed sides. Less wasted space.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
For a lifted F250, I use a 12' long aluminum folding ramp. It's cake. I walk right next to my sport bike as it idles up the ramp.

3 Dirtbikes fit just fine. Two bikes is more optimal because of the size of my ramp. The ramp needs to be strapped well to keep from eating nicer bikes.

That rack is great because the extensions allow you to strap the bikes securely, but very close to the bed sides. Less wasted space.

I have some of his mounts and chocks for the trailer, great stuff. I'll be using the bed of the truck once I bring a Tremor home next year. Until then the trailer will work well behind the GX and LX.

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I picked up a new old stock trailer specifically to use with the GX in mind a few weeks back. It was a left over that was never sold, the dealership used it to deliver a few lawn mowers and then it was left to sit in the sun for five years in the back lot. It was never registered or titled so much to my disbelief it is being sold as new with a full warranty from the manufacturer which I think is laughable given it's condition. It's amazing what five years of south Texas sun can do to a trailer.

I ended up getting a set of new tires seeing how the originals were six years old and a tad dry. I repacked and greased the hubs and then started stripping off the decking and lights. The lights were all there and worked, but the grommets/gaskets were cracking and I figured it could use a fresh set so I ordered all new LED lights. The decking was more than okay but I will be installing L-track for the Bike Binderz I plan to use with the dirt bikes so I wanted fresh wood. I'll be replacing the 2x6's for the decking with treated and sealed 2x12's this time. I plan to use stainless hardware to secure the decking, screw messing with those torx screws again in the future.

I spent the past few evenings stripping it all down and then I got to work with the wire wheel and sander and proceeded to knock off any surface rust and/or scaling. I hit the rougher areas with self leveling primer this morning and then proceeded to paint the entire thing with tractor/implement enamel. I think I might still be high from the fumes lol. I plan to let it sit for a few days so the paint can set up and then I'll wire in the new lights and install the new decking boards. To round it all out I'll pick up a new jack as well.

All in I will have less than 1/3 the cost of this same trailer brand new. I can't complain about the work with savings like that and I do enjoy a project. This trailer is well built and the perfect size for three bikes and with an empty weight of well under 1,000 lbs it should be very friendly in regards to power and fuel economy when behind the GX. I'll be sure to update this post with pics of the completed project here in the coming days.

4m8Lg2F.jpg

25ndU9o.jpg

ISctu3y.jpg

4mrIVzd.jpg

shade

Hard to beat that bargain. Any plans for a small fairing on the front, or a toolbox with fuel can rack?

I've been using Corroseal for a rust converter/primer. It would work well for future touch-ups.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Hard to beat that bargain. Any plans for a small fairing on the front, or a toolbox with fuel can rack?

I've been using Corroseal for a rust converter/primer. It would work well for future touch-ups.

I am waiting on some VP Fuel Jug holders and I am looking for a small box as well. I'll be using a combination of Bike Binderz and MotoPro L-Track wheel chocks depending on the number and type of bikes I'll be carrying. I am going to pass on the front fairing, these aren't show bikes and I like having the visibility.

I cleaned up the wiring and replaced some of the corrugated loom to enclose all of the wiring. I then installed the small bullet style running lights on the sides and rear, I am still waiting on the side marker lights and tail lights which should be here tomorrow and then hopefully I can get around to decking it tomorrow evening. I still need to get some wire rope and ferrules to tether the linch pins for the gate to the trailer.

I threw a little nod to the dirt bike world on the trailer as well.

K8fjYoy.jpg

udPvHOF.jpg

Last edited:

shade

I am waiting on some VP Fuel Jug holders and I am looking for a small box as well. I'll be using a combination of Bike Binderz and MotoPro L-Track wheel chocks depending on the number and type of bikes I'll be carrying. I am going to pass on the front fairing, these aren't show bikes and I like having the visibility.
I was thinking more of a short panel at the front to deflect crap off the bikes and whatever cargo you have up front.

I've been happy with structural foam cargo boxes on trailers. This one is very solid, weatherproof, and reasonably priced. If you skinned the top with metal, it'd make a good work surface. I added cargo loops to the sides of one and used it for a truck bed box, but you could bolt it to the trailer bed or tongue frame, or lock it down with cargo track. $80 at TSC.

1595205709990.png

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Not a bad option. I will keep that in mind. Originally I had planned on a traditional metal tongue box but most I have seen are too large and will interfere with the tongue jack. I wouldn't mind a spot to securely store the Bike Binderz, ez-chocks, straps, grease gun, collapsible 4-way, etc., but I also need a place for at least one fuel jug as well.The VP fuel jug is wider than the fender on the trailer so that won't be the ideal place I thought it might be.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This is what I started with last week.

4m8Lg2F.jpg

And this is where it is now after wire wheel, sanding, primer/paint, new tires, new swivel jack, DOT-2 tape, new tethered linch pins, all new LED lights and new decking. All in for under $1000 and for all intents and purposes it's basically a new trailer.

I'll get the L-Track and Bike Binderz set up and installed in the coming weeks as I wait for the fuel jug rack and as I look for a locking box to mount somewhere. I need to put a few coats of Thompson's on the deck too, hopefully I can get that done by the weekend.

That was a fun project, now on to the next.

64eERJ4.jpg

n4atCQw.jpg

bHUVqTO.jpg

ESM7GYY.jpg

Wallygator

Adventurer
This is what I started with last week.

4m8Lg2F.jpg

And this is where it is now after wire wheel, sanding, primer/paint, new tires, new swivel jack, DOT-2 tape, new tethered linch pins, all new LED lights and new decking. All in for under $1000 and for all intents and purposes it's basically a new trailer.

I'll get the L-Track and Bike Binderz set up and installed in the coming weeks as I wait for the fuel jug rack and as I look for a locking box to mount somewhere. I need to put a few coats of Thompson's on the deck too, hopefully I can get that done by the weekend.

That was a fun project, now on to the next.

64eERJ4.jpg

n4atCQw.jpg

bHUVqTO.jpg

ESM7GYY.jpg

The trailer turned out great. I have a Big Tex 8x15. It's over at a friends house cuz I don't use it much anymore. When I get a chance I will find out which box I put on the front of it (can't remember) and get back with you. It looks like it would mount up no problem on yours. I had to have a box on mine as it makes keeping all the things for the bike handy, etc.

But I did have to switch to a front turning jack on mine cuz the tongue is shorter than yours. Looks like your trailer would accept the same thing. I went with this one and have had zero issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R3BLBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yea that's the issue with the swivel jack, it's kind of in the way of a tongue box. An A-frame tongue jack would certainly get it out of the way of the box but then I lose the benefits of the swivel jack. I'll come up with something as I need some lockable storage.

yfarm

Observer
Similar foam box is available at Walmart for around $45. Bolted to the front of my polaris trailer to hold gas cans. Depending on style will hold 3 5 gal

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I'm reading through this whole thread right now, but I was literally JUST in the Honda dealer looking at the CRF450L and man that seat really put me off. I see you went seat concepts, and you've probably already talked about it in the thread and I just haven't read that part yet, but have any updated thoughts on it as a replacement for the knife Honda specced stock?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm reading through this whole thread right now, but I was literally JUST in the Honda dealer looking at the CRF450L and man that seat really put me off. I see you went seat concepts, and you've probably already talked about it in the thread and I just haven't read that part yet, but have any updated thoughts on it as a replacement for the knife Honda specced stock?

Tires and new seat would be my first mods to a stock 450L. The stock 2x4 has to go and a Seat Concepts replacement is the only proper answer.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I spent 14 hours on the road today in order to go pick up this 1974 DT250A in Virginia Gold. It came with new tires, a new battery, a new seat cover, new grips, and a plethora of NOS, reproduction and lightly used parts like brake pads, head light, carb rebuild kit, handle bars, spare cylinder, cables, harness', plugs, air filters, hardware, fork seals, etc. Included were an owners manual, parts list/manual, and service manual, a clean title and the original sales brochure and a few magazine clippings.

The owner was in the beginning stages of restoring it along with a Husky 400 when he needed money to restore and fix his 127 year old Victorian home, hence the sale. The bike looks pretty good, it appears to have very little off-road use looking at the skid plate and bottom of the frame. It has the buddy pegs, original tool kit under the seat and the right side mirror. The tank has one slight dent, the oil tank has a slight crease, and the rear fender has a few small dings but other than that she looks pretty good IMHO.

It's currently sitting at 3,971 original miles and it's on the stock piston. It needs a top end as there's some slap but the transmission and clutch look good. I plan to fix the rear fender and have it repainted along with the front fender and headlight brackets. I will wax the tank and oil tank in hopes of bringing out some more luster from the original paint. I'm not sure what can be done about the small dent in the gas tank or the crease in the oil tank, but I'd like to keep the original paint on those parts. Is PDR an option on these older, thicker metals?

I'll polish the cases and the wheels but I am considering having them re-laced with new spokes. I need new hardware for the cases as these bolts are certainly not correct and I am assuming I'll need gaskets as well. The pipe is missing the hardware at the cylinder and where it mounts as the rear of the bike. The intake boot looks great as does the pipe itself and the chain and sprocket are fairly new as well.

Any suggestions on things to look out for and/or what to tackle that might go overlooked would be much appreciated. I am going to start with recovering the seat, rebuilding the carb and rebuilding the forks. I also need to find a shop here in Texas (preferably the Houston area) to do the top end work as I don't have the time. Any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to getting this thing decently restored so that I can get out and enjoy it as well as sit back and admire it.

Below are some pics from the sales ad and a few of it on the trailer on the way home today.

lxAQdVp.jpg

C6Vj1Pq.jpg

2ZCKdPJ.jpg

CnGCoY3.jpg

NIBrzf1.jpg

TImh7P6.jpg

XCZ15QB.jpg

0W7YQYP.jpg

tRD50e2.jpg

gZ45BPQ.jpg

Ed0HrGn.jpg

9i3E9Pz.jpg