Moog cc880s vs. maxx lift leveling kit opinions?

Alohajack

I know it’s a thread beat to death but I’ve scoured the forum. Lots of info but curious about opinions now people have been doing this for awhile.

2009 E-350 5.4 EB. With RSC

Heard the moog springs provide a lift but at a compromise to ride quality. Approximately about 2-2.25 of lift and some difficulty (even with new cams), getting camber correct.

The maxx lift spacers, (now fordpartsone), provide 1.25-1.75” of lift but a better ride quality and slightly easier time with alignment when using cams.

Opinions? Am I splitting hairs on this? The weld tech ocotillo is not in the budget.

This old Rz

You & me both.
I pretty much read the same thing...however.
The Moog cc800s lift #s are all over the place....from my reading the lift is nowhere near 2"-2/14" it's been around 1.5" if I recall...but my van is a diesel and the motor weighs shy of 1000 lbs. Perhaps the issue.
If your a average van driver and just want lift, the spacers are a no brainer...many use them...same as springs. I've heard more alignment issues w springs...but that makes sense as there are dozens of variations of vans.
Personally I like springs...that's direction I'm gonna go.

Alohajack

That’s what I’m thinking too. If had a diesel I would go with the springs as most of the positive feedback about the springs come from people with a diesel or the V10. Since I have the 5.4 I’m leaning towards a spacer. Thanks for your feedback!

nyyankees588

I have a 2wd 2003 5.4l e250. Around 7,500lbs weight as weighed fully loaded. Replaced the suspension all around and went with the moog coils up front. I can confirm they added about 1" in lift between the bump stops before/after.

Havent noticed any negative on ride quality. Camber has been an issue - front tires are visually noticeable toed inwards. The shop that did the work said that there was nothing that they could so about it, it was a result of the moog coils. Despite this, after 800 miles since the work, I havent had any uneven tire wear on the front. I'd be curious if there is a known solution to the issue of camber as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UHAULER

Explorer
I had a 98 e350 v10 that I put cc880s on. It lifted the front about 2". They were pretty stiff so I tried spacers and liked the stock springs with spacers better.

This old Rz

I know it’s a thread beat to death but I’ve scoured the forum. Lots of info but curious about opinions now people have been doing this for awhile.

2009 E-350 5.4 EB. With RSC

Heard the moog springs provide a lift but at a compromise to ride quality. Approximately about 2-2.25 of lift and some difficulty (even with new cams),
I have a 2wd 2003 5.4l e250. Around 7,500lbs weight as weighed fully loaded. Replaced the suspension all around and went with the moog coils up front. I can confirm they added about 1" in lift between the bump stops before/after.

Havent noticed any negative on ride quality. Camber has been an issue - front tires are visually noticeable toed inwards. The shop that did the work said that there was nothing that they could so about it, it was a result of the moog coils. Despite this, after 800 miles since the work, I havent had any uneven tire wear on the front. I'd be curious if there is a known solution to the issue of camber as well.

just making sure you know about the adjustable camber cams that are available I believe from what I've read their is 0-3° degrees and their 0-4° degrees think you can purchase adjustable camber cams. I believe the people that have had success with them outweigh the number that have not I had a feeling the ones that have problem possibly have worn-out suspension components ball joints bushings cetera that's what I'm going to go with.
I went to an old school suspension shop here in town, I explained to him exactly what I was doing he said he was familiar with the Vans and said he is confident he will have no problem whatsoever getting my van aligned he said you take it to a new shop with the computers and the kids he said they can't do it they don't know what to do this guy is in his late 50s early 60s he's been around the block so I'm going to put some faith into him and be a little optimistic.
What I'm personally doing is going to be pushing the envelope.... If it works I will post it if not I will let you know. I would like to figure out a nice lift that I could recommend people not wanting to spend a fortune something that they can drive. I know this isn't adventure fansite the idea of people spending $100,000 on their rigs is of no consequence to some but I fall into the category of a working guy who just barely made it through the recession......and I want to do things just like I did him in the 80s and 90s cheap as possible but effective for what I actually do.
if I had the extra coin I would go the extra mile but I don't.
And regarding the quote above about comfort the spacers will absolutely 100% give a better ride with stock shocks than a spring conversion.... So if you just looking for lift and tire clearance it's a win-win .
especially if you're just getting a hard packed fire roads etc you don't need all the other stuff ...you just don't not for real driving on roads once you go off road and you start adding different angles on trails without a limited slip or a locker and you need a little more travel over rats etc then the other stuff makes perfect sense but for 90% of 2 wheel drive Vans it's great I've driven a couple hundred thousand miles on an E350 work van let me tell you I've been stuck a dozen times just pulling off the road to make a phone call where to make a u-turn Vans are horrible just horrible @ getting easily stuck...lol my . I don't know about you the last time I had to have an off-road extraction from a tow company it cost me $900..... I'm not taking this van nowhere that I can't get out of!

Alohajack

Thanks for all the replies and the feedback. This kinda confirms what I have found from reading all the things I can find on the different forums out there. I’m going to go with Spacers and a 2.5” lift block in the back. My goal is to save money and allow for a slightly larger tire to increase my footprint on the sand. The maxx lift kit comes with a 2” rear block I believe but want to go an extra 1/2” to try and keep the factory rake. Again thank you for taking the time to respond.

WVI

Adventurer
Where do you get the spacers or are they the same as would be used on the trucks?

Gtdad

Adventurer
You & me both.
I pretty much read the same thing...however.
The Moog cc800s lift #s are all over the place....from my reading the lift is nowhere near 2"-2/14" it's been around 1.5" if I recall...but my van is a diesel and the motor weighs shy of 1000 lbs. Perhaps the issue.
If your a average van driver and just want lift, the spacers are a no brainer...many use them...same as springs. I've heard more alignment issues w springs...but that makes sense as there are dozens of variations of vans.
Personally I like springs...that's direction I'm gonna go.
I got a 2.25 inch lift from cc880s on my 5.4 2002.

Gtdad

Adventurer

Your shop does not sound very good. I had cc880s put on my 2002 e250 5.4 . They used adjustable camber bushings and got my alignment no problem. My build is a pleasure way travererse pop top same wright as yours. I had a leaf added in my rear and 1 inch riser on the rear. Sits flat fully loaded 3.5 inch bump stop clearance. Not tire wear issues

nyyankees588

Your shop does not sound very good. I had cc880s put on my 2002 e250 5.4 . They used adjustable camber bushings and got my alignment no problem. My build is a pleasure way travererse pop top same wright as yours. I had a leaf added in my rear and 1 inch riser on the rear. Sits flat fully loaded 3.5 inch bump stop clearance. Not tire wear issues
Unfortunately/fortunately i wouldn't consider it "my shop"... have yet to find a shop in the Seattle area that I feel like returning to consistently. I figured that the proper alignment could be achieved with the cc880s, didn't have the time or energy to push back on the shop at the time and new that I was going to replace the entire front end to the upgraded 2008+ larger brake setup, so I'll revisit the alignment issue then. Good to know that the adjustable camber bushings did the trick in your case.

Gtdad

Adventurer
Unfortunately/fortunately i wouldn't consider it "my shop"... have yet to find a shop in the Seattle area that I feel like returning to consistently. I figured that the proper alignment could be achieved with the cc880s, didn't have the time or energy to push back on the shop at the time and new that I was going to replace the entire front end to the upgraded 2008+ larger brake setup, so I'll revisit the alignment issue then. Good to know that the adjustable camber bushings did the trick in your case.
2008 brakes good idea. I have 4wh discs and and had it all redone with new lines and calipers and better rotors which made a huge difference.. The larger brakes must be really nice and important for a heavier build.

hey @Alohajack, any updates/photos from the install?
Also, how did you arrive at the conclusion that 2.5" rear blocks would maintain the factory rake, and not the 2" included in the kit?
Looking at the same route for my 97 e-350 5.4 EB, so would love to hear any other findings from the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles