Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I agree, that Harbor Freight has handled this about as well as possible. Its great when a company shows their character.

john61ct

Adventurer
Stringent and ongoing QA oversight of their suppliers would be infinitely better.

A proper consumer protection regime would enforce meaningfully strict penalties on retailers thus ignoring the safety of their customers.

Not just fines that are a small fraction of the incremental profits gained by purposefully failing in this way.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow, i could not disagree with you more on any point even if you specifically tried. The solution is not to have more government oversight, it is our right and duty as consumers in a free market to make decisions on what we buy. Have you heard of a single failure of a HF jack stand IRL? I haven’t, and I know a Lot of people using them. If there was a widespread quality issue, they wouldn’t sell and we’d all be using some other companies jack stands. Its a self correcting issue. Thats how a free market works.

However, you might take comfort in learning that there ARE quality control standards and guidelines in place, as evidenced by the fact that you probably don’t worry if your toothpaste is toxic. That is not the case in China, their sorta free market is unregulated and contaminated toothpaste occurs a surprising number of times. This is not the case in the USA with FDA and Health Dept’s, and OSHA and similar standard creating agencies.

Use your economic power to make a company successful or not, and take responsibility if you choose poorly, and be grateful that you live in a nation where you have that choice.

Last edited:
I agree that a robust QC protocol of suppliers (both domestic and foreign) and penalties for retailers that knowingly sell dangerous/defective products would be best practice. Considering the context of this thread it’s apparent to me that HF conducted due diligence in the matter and I‘m more than satisfied with their response.

In the past I considered HF a “one-time buy and then pitch it” product. But over the past few years they have worked hard to improve their selection and quality. Just as I would at any store, I shop thoughtfully and carefully.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have purchased many things at HF and when paying I am always asked if I would like the additional warranty for a cost. Often that cost is very close to the price of the item. I have always declined the additional warranty. The items have always lasted far past the even additional warranty period.
I have jack stands but have had them so long that I cannot remember where they were purchased, probably HF but cannot recall. I always back up jack stands with solid wood blocking. It has been many years since crawling under a vehicle and using jack stands. They are gathering dust and cobwebs in my garage.

I do think that HF is proactive in warning consumers of a possible problem, I commend them for their action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles