Fuso Insulated Box Truck Conversion

I'm sorry if this has been answered before ( I can't imagine it hasn't been asked), but I didn't see a specific thread for this.

I'm moving my 84 Westy and selling my house in about 1 month. I want to go full nomad on a budget and I'm looking at various options. A 2005ish Fuso is the most appealing to me. It's pre-DEF and has some usable power.

Some of my check boxes include:

• Self contained. Shower/toilet/kitchen/fridge.
  • 4x4
  • Reasonable fuel economy (double digits)
  • Ground clearance.
  • Parts/service globally available (travels through at least C. America and maybe S. America)
  • Head room
  • 4 seasons. A/C and heater
  • Tow capability (to have an option to sometimes pull a small car on a flat bed)
  • Storage for mountain bike and snowboards that can be accessed outside.
  • Prefer no tilt outs due to weather and more parts to service.

However, with my limited budget (ideally $40k-$70K) there isn't a lot of options for Fusos. I did find a Fuso box truck with an insulated empty box. I'm wondering if I can have this converted to my future travel home. Are there builders on the West Coast that convert insulated boxes to campers?

Thanks in advance!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
To my knowledge, every builder is booked solid in the USA.
Have you thought about taking advantage of the exchange rate US$ to CAD$? There are several builders in BC that I could recommend.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
However, with my limited budget (ideally $40k-$70K) there isn't a lot of options for Fusos. I did find a Fuso box truck with an insulated empty box. I'm wondering if I can have this converted to my future travel home. Are there builders on the West Coast that convert insulated boxes to campers?
It has certainly been done and in my opinion, is a valid idea. That was my plan until I 'obtained' a Total Composite kit. There are build threads here on the portal. Some have started with 'normal' (uninsulated) boxes, and at least one had Marathon (I think) build them a box with the side door, etc in it. The commercial bodies are very strong (although with somewhat of a weight penalty as the floors are very heavy to stand up to 'cargo'), and designed for hard use. Certainly starting with an existing insulated box would save you time and money. As far as 'system' builders, I have no suggestions, but if you can find a good local cabinet shop, they are a great resource. I talked with the shop that did the cabinets for my kitchen, and they fully understood the necessity of the added strength and desire for lightweight building for a camper. I had no luck searching for the threads on the portal (>4 years old), but a few photos....
disclaimer-I'm not sure if these started as commercial boxes, but the same 'style'.
13-2x6-8x6-4.jpg
046%20maiden%20voyage.jpg
5127085965_b6417c4ee8.jpg
5127090773_8f0ebf1735_b.jpg

dlh62c

Explorer
You might try contacting Morgan to see if they will drop ship a Cargo Body to a dealer near you. They might ship a unit without a rear door and supply a blank panel sized to cover the opening. The dealer should be able to mount the Cargo Body on the truck.

You might try companies that work on mobile event trailers to help.

dlh62c

Explorer
A link for a FG Cargo Body build.

dlh62c

Explorer
A remodeling link for the Greene’s Build.

Reactions: mog
To my knowledge, every builder is booked solid in the USA.
Have you thought about taking advantage of the exchange rate US$ to CAD$? There are several builders in BC that I could recommend.

I have not. My current home is in C. Washington and I don't know how that will work with travel restrictions. I would love some contact though! Would you mind PMing me some please?

gait

Explorer
thought I recognised it ..... the second pic in Mog's post (thanks) is of a scratch build from flat panels, not a converted cargo box. Here's the build page.

Panel dimensions provided to panel manufacturer, cut to size (and rebated) with CNC Router, arrived like a giant IKEA flatpack on back of a truck. Assembling the box was a few days. Would have been less if solid box without the drop top design. Most of the build effort was in the internals - imagine putting together 20 hatches = 20 hinges + 80 pieces of door frame + 80 pieces of hatch frame + 30 latches + 80 pieces of foam seal + 320 screws + adhesive. etc. Similar multipliers for electrics, plumbing, bench.

Advantage in starting with box of known dimensions was that complete design was known before starting build. Also, build was in Australia I needed to negotiate narrow streets in Europe and elsewhere.

Hardest part was steps - the telescopic steps in the pic were later replaced with scissor.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
If you get the Fuso with the insulated box, there is no reason you can not cut it down to a more reasonable height, and perhaps mount lower on the frame with a 'step' in the front.
This is a photochop I did of my truck (pre-super singles), back when using the cargo box was my plan.
chopped-box.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
It is important to decide how you would like to divide your budget. The smart money is spent on finding something used, where someone else has already taken the hit on depreciation, using that truck and deciding exactly what you want and don't want.

I think that you are going to struggle to find or build a capable FG on your budget. If you have the ability to buy a decent used truck and do all of the build out yourself, you have a better chance, but it will still be tough.

I see so many people who want "everything on a budget" and they end up with cheap/inferior parts that end up failing in some way, ruining a trip or an experience with that type of product.

If you could find an FG with an insulated box in good shape and build your own interior, you have a good base truck to modify as you see fit. If you can find a clean FG with a standard box, consider swapping that box for an insulated box, as insulating a standard cargo box can take quite a bit of time and effort to do properly. Time is money.

I can build you a shell and ship it to WA, but that may not be cost effective for you. A box 6.5' wide x 6.5' tall and 12' long weighs about 400 pounds, empty. This four season box is very well insulated and can be built quite inexpensively, under $3000 in foam and composite skins. This presumes that you have a work space, some tools, time and are keen to DIY the box/truck build yourself.

This is a simple, basic shell, no mounting plates, no doors or windows, no exterior cage, etc. It's just an empty box that requires complete fit out.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm sorry if this has been answered before ( I can't imagine it hasn't been asked), but I didn't see a specific thread for this.

I'm moving my 84 Westy and selling my house in about 1 month. I want to go full nomad on a budget and I'm looking at various options. A 2005ish Fuso is the most appealing to me. It's pre-DEF and has some usable power.

Some of my check boxes include:

• Self contained. Shower/toilet/kitchen/fridge.
  • 4x4
  • Reasonable fuel economy (double digits)
  • Ground clearance.
  • Parts/service globally available (travels through at least C. America and maybe S. America)
  • Head room
  • 4 seasons. A/C and heater
  • Tow capability (to have an option to sometimes pull a small car on a flat bed)
  • Storage for mountain bike and snowboards that can be accessed outside.
  • Prefer no tilt outs due to weather and more parts to service.

Thanks in advance!

The Fuso makes a great platform, but it isn't the right choice for towing a trailer... it struggles to move itself, especially on the uphills.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Agreed. Just wanted the option for occasional track days (tow my car to a race track) as needed.
I towed my Meyers Manx a few times from the Eureka area of Northern California to the dunes at Coos Bay, Oregon. Inside the box were 2 Polaris Sportman ATVs (1400 lbs total for 2), plus all of the usual camping stuff. Lots of hills on that route and not a noticeable difference going up them. So if your track car is a Bug-eyed Sprite, 356, 911 or the likes I would think you would be good to go. Now if your track car is a Bentley Continental GT, perhaps not so much.
Liftgate - the original power height adjusting hitch ;)
DSCN2007_2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles