4Runner vs LR4 Help

cbboard

Hello everyone,

I am a long term Rover fan but have been out of the offroad/overlanding scene for 8 years. I had a built D2 and a built LR3 then moved to JKUR for a bit. I am wanting to get back into overlanding and long trips with my wife and am thinking of moving to a 5th gen 4Runner, possibly a green TRD Pro similar to the picture below. I've done a good bit of reading about them, but figured I would ask for some recommendations. Intended use includes driving the rig from OKC to trails/parks in TX/AR/CO/UT and then doing several days of treking around those areas. I would like the truck to have decent enough road manners to drive it out to Moab, enough capability to tackle trails such as Metal Masher, and enough reliability to drive it back home. Is there really any difference between the TRD models and TRD Pro models other than just aesthetics? I know these are loaded questions, but wanted to get some advice before jumping back into the Rover world for better or worse. Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
D

Deleted member 13060

The drive trains are identical.
The electronics, as far as off road gimmicks go are identical.
90% of the PRO is fluff...... BUT
The Pro suspension is light years ahead of the "std" TRD stuff.
Front strut assemblies and rear shocks are FOX on the PRO.
Control arms and rear links are the same between models.

Tacoma's are the same way. My 2019 TRD Offroad, other than shocks and struts, is identical to a TRD PRO mechanically. The money I saved will buy me tuned Kings and a few other goodies.

YMMV RON

PS recently looked at the new Defender. After 25+ years of fixing European cars....... I couldn't do it.. LOL

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The Pro has better shocks but odds are most will rip those out in favor of a lift at some point so that's a moot point for most. The biggest difference is the resale value, the Pro's hold their value exceptionally well. We had a 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner that we bought new and put 30K mies on it in 18 months and I scratched it up something good and I got $2K less than what I paid for it when I traded it in. That's pretty remarkable.

Aesthetics are a personal thing but I think most agree that the Pro looks a little better and if you give a crap there's the perceived prestige of owning one of a more rare edition. At the end of the day the TRD Pro and TRD OR are the same vehicle with slightly different trim and about $5K difference in price. Either way it's a hell of a lot better choice than a Land Rover especially if reliability and resale are important to you.

cbboard

Thanks guys! What about getting an SR5? Only real difference being suspension and rear locker? I am assuming the stock suspension and locker are nice but aftermarket is probably better? Thanks

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks guys! What about getting an SR5? Only real difference being suspension and rear locker? I am assuming the stock suspension and locker are nice but aftermarket is probably better? Thanks

I’d opt for the stock e-locker. Works well. I could see if you’re going to get a front locker, then doing an ARB on both ends. I’d stick to TRD Off Road for now. Then upgrading **IF** necessary.

Have you driven one? I’m no Rover fan, but the 4R doesn’t drive nearly as nice. Could leave you disappointed if that’s what you’re used to and expecting.

cbboard

Thanks. That''s some good info. Its been a while since I've driven a 4R and do expect it to be a bit less civilized on the road. Any suspension/lift recommendations for the TRD Off Road? is the KDSS worth getting if I plan to lift the truck?

XJLI

Adventurer
You should be able to do metal masher with some creative spotting and just the ATRAC working. I've been looking at 5th gens myself and you can save yourself a few grand in some cases buying a SR5 and adding a locker (if you feel you need to) later. KDSS will make for a much more car like road driving experience, its worth driving one back to back with a truck without to see if it makes a difference to you. When you lift it, stiffer suspension will eliminate some of the stock suspension's mushy-ness. If you plan on not lifting more than 2-3" you can keep KDSS easily.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks. That''s some good info. Its been a while since I've driven a 4R and do expect it to be a bit less civilized on the road. Any suspension/lift recommendations for the TRD Off Road? is the KDSS worth getting if I plan to lift the truck?

Icon/King mentioned above make good suspension. OME, if you’re on a budget. Personally, I’d skip KDSS. Didn’t care for it. And less to go wrong.

Engine is anemic compared to what you’re used to. So be aware of that.

Regarding SR5 vs TRD. I don’t see several thousand $ difference. Cheapest SR5 4WD around my region is just over $37k. Cheapest TRD OR is $39k. So $2k difference. You get the rear locker, crawl control, etc. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Get the stock e-locker, it's worth the upgrade to the TRDOR. KDSS is a hot button issue with some. I avoided it on my three 5th Gens but I have it on our GX460, it has it's merits and some drawbacks. I am in the I don't dislike it but I can do without group like @phsycle but I would drive both before you make a decision.

phsycle

Adventurer
Get the stock e-locker, it's worth the upgrade to the TRDOR. KDSS is a hot button issue with some. I avoided it on my three 5th Gens but I have it on our GX460, it has it's merits and some drawbacks. I am in the I don't dislike it but I can do without group like @phsycle but I would drive both before you make a decision.

GX actually would not be a bad way to go. I’d say it’s more comparable to the LR than the 4Runner. The 4.7/4.6 are nice engines. Interior is a notch above as well.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
GX actually would not be a bad way to go. I’d say it’s more comparable to the LR than the 4Runner. The 4.7/4.6 are nice engines. Interior is a notch above as well.

I agree, but would have to buy slightly used to get it in the same price point of a new 4Runner. I know the upgrade was worth it in my eyes.

Delloro

Observer
Hello everyone,

I am a long term Rover fan but have been out of the offroad/overlanding scene for 8 years. I had a built D2 and a built LR3 then moved to JKUR for a bit. I am wanting to get back into overlanding and long trips with my wife and am thinking of moving to a 5th gen 4Runner, possibly a green TRD Pro similar to the picture below. I've done a good bit of reading about them, but figured I would ask for some recommendations. Intended use includes driving the rig from OKC to trails/parks in TX/AR/CO/UT and then doing several days of treking around those areas. I would like the truck to have decent enough road manners to drive it out to Moab, enough capability to tackle trails such as Metal Masher, and enough reliability to drive it back home. Is there really any difference between the TRD models and TRD Pro models other than just aesthetics? I know these are loaded questions, but wanted to get some advice before jumping back into the Rover world for better or worse. Thanks!

That army green is TRD PRO only. That's $10000 more than the TRD off road, which has a locker and the crawl control terrain stuff.

For $10,000, you can get a Magnuson supercharger, and a lift and suspension. With those wheels, you can put on 255/80/17 tires (33" dia). You just have to live with a regular color, not the army green.

I got an SR5, put in a harrop e-locker, full aluminum skids, sliders, a full-length roof rack, an eibach lift, and 285/70/17 tires on new wheels. I have most of what I think I need, for much less money.

Nothing wrong with the Pro, though. Except the price.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer

TRD Pro has a great suspension...otherwise pretty much the same as the other 4runner trims mechanically-speaking. I wouldn't bother with the Pro unless you had no plans to add aftermarket modifications. Keep-it-stock, then go with the Pro.

TRD Offroad is the middleground between the SR5 and TRD Pro...I think a slightly tuned suspension with mechanical locker. If you want a locker and the ability to go offroad, then don't bother with the SR5. Factory e-locker combined with ATRAC up front is very capable, very reliable and you don't have to spend much extra money on aftermarket installs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier