My RAM/Lance 650 Adventure(s)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I know some might say I over did it, but in my opinion it is critical to make sure you are running under the stated capacity of your truck. Pay attention to the numbers when you are planning your rig.

No such thing as over doing it sir!

You did everything right paying attention to your numbers and giving yourself more of a buffer. If more folks did this, the roads would all be a lot safer, kudos to you!

Great looking functional setup!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My Cummins reaches full throttle, at half throttle. I love the silly tricks companies do to fool people.

It lifts for each up shift, and still bangs gears even after lifting. Sometimes I think I could almost shift a six speed faster. I can definitely shift my Mustang faster, and obviously the bikes. So maybe all trucks being automatics, might not be such a hot idea.

It's slow. I'll bet that a decent gas engine with huge gears could run pretty well against it. Especially with piddly little overlanding sized loads. It's a good tow rig. But it's slow and ungainly when loaded lightly, compared to a gas truck. You only get that 900# of torque in a few spots. And it sure as heck ain't in 1st or 2nd gear in mine.

Empty, or with just a few thousand pounds, my 6.2 absolutely wails by my Cummins like it's sitting still. The diesel feels fast, right up until that point. Lol. Perfect full throttle up shifts, and 1000#'s less weight, is a decent advantage for the gas truck.

The gas truck only feels slow, because it upshifts too high during normal driving and has to downshift 4 gears to do anything. The diesel, doesn't even have that option, with only 2000 usable rpm.

I have no doubt that his 6.4 with big axle gears, is formidable. This argument is kinda silly for big slow trucks.

Valid points for an empty truck, but we are talking about 1tons loaded with hardside campers and gear for adventure travel. The diesel will provide better power throughout.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Sure will. But an overlandy camper and some recovery gear ain't going to make the gas engine break a sweat in the least. Unless you're still drag racing,....which we're not. I did encounter an on ramp today that my Cummins was slower than my old 6.2 gas work truck, significantly. It's only about 1500# heavier right now.

So right now, my current Cummins work trucks power, really isn't nearly as impressive as the legend and reputation. But it works fine.

Many DRW, large slide out, 11' camper owners select the gas engine and love it. As the truck is just a weekend ride.

RV'ers with retarded oversized campers? Sure. Field techs with utility boxes DRW and cranes? Yep. Average overlander setup? Nope.

The middle ground, the gray area where diesel, or gas is a good choice is wider than ever. Mostly because of vastly improved gas engines and transmissions, but partially because the diesel power wars have saddled each truck with intense nanny controls to keep the drivetrain in one piece. Big gears, plus gas engine, is actually pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Sure will. But an overlandy camper and some recovery gear ain't going to make the gas engine break a sweat in the least. Unless you're still drag racing,....which we're not. I did encounter an on ramp today that my Cummins was slower than my old 6.2 gas work truck, significantly. It's only about 1500# heavier right now.

So right now, my current Cummins work trucks power, really isn't nearly as impressive as the legend and reputation. But it works fine.

Many DRW, large slide out, 11' camper owners select the gas engine and love it. As the truck is just a weekend ride.

RV'ers with retarded oversized campers? Sure. Field techs with utility boxes DRW and cranes? Yep. Average overlander setup? Nope.

The middle ground, the gray area where diesel, or gas is a good choice is wider than ever. Mostly because of vastly improved gas engines and transmissions, but partially because the diesel power wars have saddled each truck with intense nanny controls to keep the drivetrain in one piece. Big gears, plus gas engine, is actually pretty impressive.
Up here with diesel being so much more expensive than gas also plays a key role in a deciding factor.

dorocks

I too upgraded from a 2005 Ram 2500 Diesel to a 2021 Ram 3500 High Output with Aisin transmission. The 2005 served us well with airbags for squat. My Lance dealer-Galaxy Campers warned me not to buy a new 2500 since it has coil spring rears. Would not have enough payload and would sway more. We bought the Lance 650 back in 2016 and the transfer to the new truck was easy. Had to go out of state (CA to Phoenix) to find the truck. Saved a lot of money doing so. CA dealers will give a small rebate at best and there is a gigantic shortage of the model I wanted. This new Ram effortlessly carries the camper. Looking forward to taking it including towing the Jeep to Moab3-25-2021 lance on 3500.jpg next month.

Last edited:

grogie

Like to Camp
I too upgraded from a 2005 Ram 2500 Diesel to a 2021 Ram 3500 High Output with Aisin transmission. The 2005 served us well with airbags for squat. My Lance dealer-Galaxy Campers warned me not to buy a new 2500 since it has coil spring rears. Would not have enough payload and would sway more. We bought the Lance 650 back in 2016 and the transfer to the new truck was easy. Had to go out of state (CA to Phoenix) to find the truck. Saved a lot of money doing so. CA dealers will give a small rebate at best and there is a gigantic shortage of the model I wanted. This new Ram effortlessly carries the camper. Looking forward to taking it including towing the Jeep to Moab next month.

Now that's the way to travel!

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I'm finding it hard to believe anyone would suggest a gas engine of any size could out perform a Cummins diesel of 2006 or better vintage. I had a 2006, 2500, 5.9 Cummins and carried a 2500# camper and pulled a 8000# trailer all over the country. Including huge western mountains. Nothing like it. Almost never shifts on the highway, can easily maintain 65mph and returned a steady 14mpg.....In 2018 I traded it with 225,000 miles on a brand new 2018 RAM with 6.4 L gas and 373 gears. Great truck but nothing like the diesel for towing. 4K+ RPM going up some hills out west at 50MPH and no exhaust brake to help coming down. It returned 9.5mpg while towing same 8000# trailer......I recently traded it for a 2021, RAM 2500 with 6.4L gas. The 8 speed transmission and 410 gears are much better for towing. Those extra two gears fit in nicely when going up big hills. Nearly never saw over 3500rpms. Just returned this past Monday from a 6200 mile trip from Massachusetts to Montana and back. Returned 10.8mpg . A great truck to be sure, but not a Diesel. Not even close.......There is simply nothing like flat line torque for towing....Period!

Gogged

I too upgraded from a 2005 Ram 2500 Diesel to a 2021 Ram 3500 High Output with Aisin transmission. The 2005 served us well with airbags for squat. My Lance dealer-Galaxy Campers warned me not to buy a new 2500 since it has coil spring rears. Would not have enough payload and would sway more. We bought the Lance 650 back in 2016 and the transfer to the new truck was easy. Had to go out of state (CA to Phoenix) to find the truck. Saved a lot of money doing so. CA dealers will give a small rebate at best and there is a gigantic shortage of the model I wanted. This new Ram effortlessly carries the camper. Looking forward to taking it including towing the Jeep to MoabView attachment 650431 next month.

Hey Dorocks, Did you have to put a spacer in the bed so the camper nose would clear the top of the cab? I will have the exact same setup soon. I think it was the Fords where you definitely need a spacer with the higher cab and the 650. Thanks!

discohead

Hey Dorocks, Did you have to put a spacer in the bed so the camper nose would clear the top of the cab? I will have the exact same setup soon. I think it was the Fords where you definitely need a spacer with the higher cab and the 650. Thanks!

I have the same question. Seen it mentioned in a few places. Also curious what folks are using for the spacer?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94