[solved] Floor plugs for seat bolt holes

uncompromise

Adventurer
I know someone here will have the answer to this. I can find plenty of plugs for sheet metal, and no shortage of after market drain plugs for Jeeps, but finding it difficult to find rubber plugs that I can use to plug the bolt holes left behind after we removed all of the seats from our Pajero/Montero. I can screw the bolts back in with a grommet, but that’s clearly going to limit what I can do with the cargo space, and i’m not quite prepared for a full interior rebuild where those holes will come in handy for attachments. I suspect the answer is obvious, but clearly my google powers and common sense have abandoned me. I’m in France, and can’t seem to find an auto warehouse equivalent, so am researching and buying online. Not looking to permanently fill the holes as we want to be able to replace the seats should we need to. Any help appreciated.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Get some Allen head grub screws and use those?

Not sure what the French term would be, beyond "cle Allen"...

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Cut the nozzle of a caulk tube big and give the hole a squirt.
Plug should push right out when you need the threads again.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Use short bolts and put them in from UNDER the car, short enough that they don’t come through.

or

Get some Teflon (PTFE) or High Density Polyethelene (HDPE) rod and thread it. Screw into the floor and then cut off flush.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I've used nylon in the past.

No sealant needed, and will never corrode in place.
Even if they get stuck, just drill on the centers and break them out.

94564a310l.gif

I have seen foil ducting tape at the hardware stores in France, another option would be roof flashing tape. There is a waterproofing tape that might be similar, you might have to take a look for your self, there should be a covering of plastic or aluminum film on one side and something resembling sticky bitumen or butyl on the other side.

Capture.JPG

Foil Tape

download (1).jpg

Flashing / Roof Repair Tape

uncompromise

Adventurer
Thanks all for the suggestions. Given that we want to be able to put the seats back in quickly and easily, we’re going to replace all of the floor bolts with M8 30mm grub screws, preferably in nylon. Then we’re going to strip out the carpet and replace with a rubber or lino floor so that the rear is more effectively sealed against moisture - I’ll have to take up the carpet anyway and assess if there’s any spot corrosion that requires attention. I’m still going to have to figure out how to maintain access to the bolt holes and the various lock down points in the floor, but that’s a separate issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles