Advice on 1987 toyota pickup

jgallo1

Adventurer
For those who have owned a 22re 4x4 pickup.
I stumbled upon a few of these in my search for another T100. I have owned alot of Toyota's but never a 22re. I am curious about the pros and cons of these trucks. I am looking to either pick one of these or another T100.
Thanks

Smileyshaun

Observer
Stay away from the automatics other then that they are rather bulletproof . They do well with a 2” exhaust And fiddling with swapping out the afm ( do a google search) and remembering your not gonna win any races but it will still run for a while even with a hole in the side of the block or being upside down .

Reactions: bkg

jgallo1

Adventurer
Stay away from the automatics other then that they are rather bulletproof . They do well with a 2” exhaust And fiddling with swapping out the afm ( do a google search) and remembering your not gonna win any races but it will still run for a while even with a hole in the side of the block or being upside down .
Thanks for the exhaust info. The one I am currently looking at it is an auto. Are they that problematic? Are they slower than the T100?

zelseman

Observer
In my experience, in equal condition and both manuals, the 22re will feel about as sluggish as a T100. The 22re is tough and reliable. You really can't go wrong with a late 80-s early 90's Toyota truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

Pros:
- Runs forever if in good shape
- Easy to work on
- Parts are common and cheap

Cons:
- Gutless
- Already decades old
- Will requite constant "tinkering"

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
An automatic just slows it down more and makes it harder to get out of it's own way. Robs too much power.
Also, if I remember right, the automatics were kind of problematic.
Go with a manual and it will be more fun and simpler to work on and as an added plus harder for today's generation to "take" it from you as well.

rruff

Explorer
For those who have owned a 22re 4x4 pickup.

I owned a '84 5spd and '86 auto, both 2wd. The auto was geared too high and just slow... didn't like it. Plus the stick got ~30mpg and the auto ~25mpg.

The plastic timing chain tensioner dies in the 100-200k range, and it's a bit of work to replace with a better one. The '84 with the stick went ~220k miles on the original clutch... even with lots of slipping to keep the engine rolling. Oil pressure sender (on the '84) popped and released most of the oil ~100k miles. That's probably fixed on later models. It needed a new fuel pump at ~200k miles. That's it for repairs. I beat the everlovin crap out of that truck and it kept going until 250k miles when I retired it.

The '86 had an obscure issue that I eventually determined was the fuel pulsation damper. I simply removed it and put a bolt in its place and it ran fine.

bkg

Explorer
I owned an 85 4Runner 22re/Auto.

Downsides:
The a340h isn't awesome
The transfer case isn't awesome - no lower gears and not known for longevity
Robs what little of the 115hp are left in the 22re.

Pros:
don't have to shift

Comments:
Auto should come with 4.30 gears. If you go larger on tires, the auto should get numerically higher gears than it's w65 counterpart.

I.E. if you'd normally put 4.88's in for 33's, do 5.29's for the auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz