Tundra TRD Pro for first overland vehicle?

rruff

Explorer
I also find it odd/amusing you’d let $3k dictate getting the wrong truck versus the right truck for the job of job dictates it.

$3k isn't dictating anything. Just disputing your statement that the Ford would be cheaper... and get better gas mileage.

The Tundra will be adequate for what I plan to put on it. If I had a setup like yours, I'd definitely need a bigger truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ford offers 10k off all the time.
Yep got $12,500 off my $82,400 Stickered Expedition. I got a 100% loaded Expedition Heavy tow pack, HD locking rear end, for less than what I could get the dealers to do on the old Yukon Denali with no extras. I’m coming from 25 yrs of Toyota ownership too! I didn’t even bother looking at Toyota.
Finally did a trip this past week. 21-22mpg trip average 4 days with 380 miles towing the 4x6. Nothing Toyota makes could touch that even my brothers Highlander. Longevity? Resale value? Pffft who cares I keep my cars a long time and The other Fords in the family have done just fine.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Tundra trd pro is OK capable, but besides all it’s bells and whistles, be prepared to own 9 to 10 MPG vehicle on a good day.
Two neighbors told me the same thing when I was contemplating a new truck. Which is a big reason I didn’t look at Toyota after selling my Old Sequoia to my dad.
A buddy has the F150 3.5 eco boost with whatever they had before the 10spd, 6 spd? xtra cab extra load package with a full time FWC on it. CA to CO he said 15-16mpg was his typical highway mileage at 70mph. Stock tires 4x4 etc.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Two neighbors told me the same thing when I was contemplating a new truck. Which is a big reason I didn’t look at Toyota after selling my Old Sequoia to my dad.
A buddy has the F150 3.5 eco boost with whatever they had before the 10spd, 6 spd? xtra cab extra load package with a full time FWC on it. CA to CO he said 15-16mpg was his typical highway mileage at 70mph. Stock tires 4x4 etc.

Yeah, a friend of mine has the same truck BONE STOCK and averages over 20mpg!

Driving it and seeing his MPG claims weren’t BS, I made the decision then, Tundra had to go bye bye

Explorerinil

Observer
Hi guys, first post on here. My job has transitioned to a fully remote role and I'm considering living on the road full-time after my lease is up later this year.

At first I was considering a Class B RV, but feel a 4x4 truck with a pop-up truck camper fits my lifestyle better. I think what I'm looking for is a full-size, reliable and capable truck from the factory that can easily carry a small truck camper.

My research so far makes me think a lightly used Tundra TRD Pro may be the best option. My reasoning is I don't want to make a huge investment upfront without knowing if this is the lifestyle for me and the TRD Pro seems like the most capable overland truck out-of-the-box, without the need for major modifications, while also having the ability to tote around a small pop-up camper. I'm thinking bigger tires would likely be the only thing I'd need to chnage since I wouldn't plan to go too far off the beaten path at first.

Is this a reasonable assumption about the Tundra? Are there other options I should consider? Basically to start out I'm looking for a reliable and capable truck from the factory that can easily carry a small truck camper, but that I can resell without much trouble if this ends up not being for me.

To add, I'm also considering newer F250s and RAM 2500s, but I feel like I'd need to invest more upfront with those to feel comfortable taking them offroad and I'd like to keep the truck somewhat mod-free initially in case this isn't for me and I resell it again. If this sort of lifestyle suits me I'll probably eventually go all-in on an older OBS F250/F350 or 2nd gen Ram with the 5.9L, but would rather keep things simple to start off.

Thanks in advance!
I really like the tundra, and if your in the market for a reliable light duty truck that’s a great choice. For the most capable off-road truck out of the factory, the tundra is not it. You can get much more cape
Tundra trd pro is OK capable, but besides all it’s bells and whistles, be prepared to own 9 to 10 MPG vehicle on a good day.
thats why I bought a power wagon over the tundra, plus all the advantages of the power wagon And it was cheaper.

rruff

Explorer

Only time I've gotten near that low was a whole tank driving on trails. 2nd worst tank was 14.3mpg at 75mph mostly into a headwind and uphill. Averaging >16mpg overall.

Dalko43

Explorer
The gas F250 (with either gas engine) can tow more, haul more, has better brakes, larger everything under it, soild front axle, bullet proof drive train, same crappy ride quality, and gets the same lousy gas mileage as the Tundra.

Wait for a sale and it will be cheaper than a Tundra. Ford took 13k off MSRP when I bought my F150, making it cheaper than a similarly equipped Tundra or Tacoma.

Except that it doesn't get the same mpg as the Tundra...it gets worse mpg.

Bigger/heavier truck, more powerful engine...it's not rocket science.

tacollie

Glamper
The Tundra will do everything the OP wants. We like it Tundra but for the money there are better options IMO. With the FWC 32" tires we get 13.5 mpg in the summer doing 80mph. Winter gas is 11.5mpgs. I've blocked out city milage. A lightly used TRD Pro Tundra is going to be in the price range of a used Power Wagon or F-150. Power Wagon gets similar milage, be significantly more capable off road, and has similar payload. F150 gets better milage, optional rear locker, and has a higher payload. My Limited is ~1450lbs. My buddies 2014 DC limited is ~1250.

phsycle

Adventurer
If you can show me a 4wd F250 extended with 8' bed <$35k that would be helpful. Would go higher if it comes with a 4.3 ratio and locker, or 7.3L and 10spd. I've been shopping!... but haven't seen any that cheap.

I haven’t seen many, but this is cheap! Prob a stripped down version (which I personally like).

tacollie

Glamper
That’s impressive. I thought it would be much lower. For me, mileage just PLUMMETS over 70-75mph. I think my old Tacoma, unloaded on stock tires got 16 at 80mph.
It suprised me. It never really does better or worse. All three of my 2nd gen Tacoma's got ~14 at 80mph with smaller tires and the Flippac. 80 was a struggle for the Tacomas. The Tundra does it work ease

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles