FS: DIY Hot Vent Propane Heater Project

James T

This is my attempt to copy the Zodi heater. Was planning to use for winter car camping with the Mrs., but we're upgrading our setup and this will no longer be needed.

Just trying to recoup some of the parts cost, so let's say $80 + shipping (located in Bay Area CA for pickup).

Construction
Steel toolbox with copper "heat exchanger" tubes held in place by high-temperature silicone grommets (rated to 500F). Banjo style propane burner fixed to base with brass needle valve at inlet. 6' braided propane hose with 11"wc pressure regulator. High temperature silicone tube that slides over copper pipe for outlet. A few duct fittings and small fan (the ducting was really the last part that needed to be figured out). Also included is some copper mesh to stuff into the tubes to increase hot surface area.

DSC_8235.jpg

DSC_8239 copy.jpg

DSC_8230 copy.jpg

DSC_8237 copy.jpg

IMG_20191021_215316 copy.jpg

I recommend no unattended operation and am obviously not responsible for anything you may do or burn with this setup :). Because it's a project I didn't make it to the extensive testing stage - that's up to you!

Some things to consider
The copper tubes and box will get hotter if air is not flowing through it, or if it isn't very cold outside.
I recommend running the burner on low and going from there.
The plan was to have three silicone tubes running off each end that joined to some sort of single duct flange.
If desired, you could add a pilot light with one of the auto-shut off thermocouples that "senses" oxygen deficiency.
Like the Zodi units, this has the potential to melt itself to the ground if you run it too hot. Don't do that!

Gratuitous but maybe warranted comments
"Yer gonna die"
"You should really have a CO detector"
"Propane produces wet heat you know"
"Just buy a propex its safer"
"Why not use a little buddy"
"Just get a warmer sleeping bag"

trailscape

Explorer
I tried something like that once. I actually used the Zodi Hot Tap though. It's sitting on the shelf as another unfinished project.

My plan to get around that meltdown issue was to use a 12v solenoid lock off valve with my larger propane tank.

img_20161222_150407-jpg.381993

Last edited:

James T

****** ?? Flowing only air thru those small tubes ?

I never said it was perfect, just that it was for sale :). Maybe there's someone out there who needs a ventilated tool box or some uselessly short sections of copper pipe...

I tried something like that once. I actually used the Zodi Hot Tap though. It's sitting on the shelf as another unfinished project.

My plan to get around that meltdown issue was to use a 12v solenoid lock off valve with my larger propane tank.

Nice! The thought did cross my mind of using their water heater. It's fun to tinker.
This one's also just sitting collecting dust (sawdust mostly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94