Around Africa in a Shorty - Now includes Australia in an older Shorty

Cruisn

Adventurer
Were getting near the end of this trip, as we cross back in to South Africa, but we do find chili bacon and life is good

Cruisn

Adventurer
As with most, everything is currently on hold and the vehicle is sitting in Joburg waiting for our return.

Cruisn

Adventurer
I have been super lazy, so I will start to piece together the last bits of the trip over the next week. Then in about 8 days I leave to Exmouth in WA to continue an offroad adventure but in a different vehicle.

Cruisn

Adventurer
I still have a few African blogs to finish, but this is the last one for a bit as I have some Australia travels to put up.

Birthday in Cape Town

Cruisn

Adventurer
And onto a few Australian blogs, Enjoy

Well, me and the missus decided one last run to the Pilbara was in order. So with the wagon showroom clean I headed north. Blogs will roll in day by day, I should have 4 up tonight for you to enjoy though.

This trip led us to Nullagine where we met originally, went down skull spring road, into running waters and carawine gorge. Headed back we hit marble bar, auskie, Karijini and Mill stream before visiting the orginal Pilbara wanderer, Red Dog.
Sorry no photos to preview as photobucket is down.

https://wrongturn.com.au/ongoing-adventures/australia/hammer-down/

Last edited:

alanymarce

Great photos, giving me great memories - thank you (2017 around Africa in an LC80, 2019 around Australia in a Montero).

re an earlier couple of posts on the likelihood of theft - I was surprised. I've been living (Botswana (a year and a half) and Congo (two years)), working (the previous countries plus Gabon, Angola, Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya), and travelling (all of the above plus RSA, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Morocco) in Africa off and on since 1973. Our last trip was 45,000 Km in 10 months (Nairobi to Cape Town and back) in 2017.

The total number of items stolen in this time has been zero. Now, in cities/large towns we either park in secure parking or contract local kids to guard the vehicle; outside cities we do nothing to protect the vehicle. However our experience has been that this is not a problem, or more accurately, has never been a problem for us.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Great photos, giving me great memories - thank you (2017 around Africa in an LC80, 2019 around Australia in a Montero).

re an earlier couple of posts on the likelihood of theft - I was surprised. I've been living (Botswana (a year and a half) and Congo (two years)), working (the previous countries plus Gabon, Angola, Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya), and travelling (all of the above plus RSA, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Morocco) in Africa off and on since 1973. Our last trip was 45,000 Km in 10 months (Nairobi to Cape Town and back) in 2017.

The total number of items stolen in this time has been zero. Now, in cities/large towns we either park in secure parking or contract local kids to guard the vehicle; outside cities we do nothing to protect the vehicle. However our experience has been that this is not a problem, or more accurately, has never been a problem for us.

Thanks, Its been an amazing trip which we cant wait to continue. With the theft issue, in smaller towns I will leave the wagon on the road side no worries while we eat. I have had zero theft and zero issues. We also jsut bush camp everywhere except in certain areas of South Africa. We feel very safe.

Tucsontom

Adventurer
Love your photos! I am a desert dweller in Tucson Az. USA and it is great to see other arid landscapes/ deserts. thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94