sprinter vans

jgallo1

Adventurer
Hello Van Forum
Thinking of jumping on the bandwagon and getting a sprinter van. After a few cold wet nights camping this winter, while my buddy slept dry and happy in his van. The wife and are sold. My buddy bought an early 2000's one b/c of the pre-def diesel and he said they have a smaller wheelbase. Is this the way to go?
We will be wanting 4x4, besides that I am pretty green on sprinter info. I was wondering what years are the best, what to look out for, etc..
Thanks in advance.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
If you want 4x4 you wont be able to really find one in the pre def world. Every now and again you will find an imported one. If 4x4 is a must I would get the newest you can afford. This way you are covered by MB for the "emissions" crap. I just had part of the Def system replaced. It was covered under MB but would have been a 2k bill.

If not 4x4 anything pre- 2006 I believe will give you the best options for def/ ULSD free. Find the lowest mile or at least a unit with a solid service history.

Kgorman

Observer
The def really isn’t a problem. The little 3.0 diesel is somewhat gutless and wonderful. Get a 2016-2019 4x4 IMHO and enjoy. I just updated my build thread over the last 5 years. Hope it helps your decision.

jgallo1

Adventurer
The def really isn’t a problem. The little 3.0 diesel is somewhat gutless and wonderful. Get a 2016-2019 4x4 IMHO and enjoy. I just updated my build thread over the last 5 years. Hope it helps your decision.

thanks
Great build

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It got delayed, but the 4x4 was going to be offered with gasoline engine this year?

boxster1971

It got delayed, but the 4x4 was going to be offered with gasoline engine this year?

If you are referring to a Sprinter van the 4x4 is only offered with the OM642 V-6 diesel engine. The delays in 2020 Sprinter models was largely due to emissions certification delays. There has been no indication yet that Mercedes will offer the 4x4 with any other engine in USA as they do in other countries. However Mercedes-Benz Vans just announced that the 4-cylinder diesel will be offered later this year in USA.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Look at the Transit AWD. It has a gas engine and no problems with the emission control systems. Service and repair costs are a lot lower at Ford. Mercedes is expensive.

I talked to a guy today who has a 2004 or 05, it is a sprinter but has the dodge badge. He said that early on the sprinters were put back together in the dodge plant to avoid the import tax. He loves his

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94