Gauging Interest

Doc_

Sammich!
Hey everybody, I'm back after a long absence and I have an idea I want to float by folks here and get some input on.
I'm getting my ducks in a row to start a Youtube channel focusing on budget 4X4s, running the gamut from crawlers to overlanding rigs.
The principle focus is on older low-buck builds that are built by working people without a lot of cash to spend on high-dollar mods. Currently, I have a vision for doing two videos a month: one a tech-related how-to video, and the second a rig of the month video showcasing a cool rig built by a cool person. Depending on how things go, I could expand, but with a career and a baby, two videos a month feels like a big time commitment.

Why I'm here is to use you cool folks as a sounding board. Tech forums were instrumental in helping me develop my car knowledge and appreciation of built-not-bought rigs, and I want to showcase that same kind of ingenuity and passion that got me hooked. I respect the voices of the folks here in the Toyota forum here and would really appreciate any suggestions or ideas, and also a chance to suss out how people would feel about the Rig of the Month idea.
So what do you think? Would you feel comfortable having your older budget-conscious rig showcased on Youtube?
Do you have any cool tech ideas that would we helpful to share in a video?
If you had the chance to help shape a low-budget off-road-centric show, how would you do it?

pobigbanner.jpg

heehawhardy

Adventurering
Low budget "quality" builds are always a great idea. Another option would be Oddity/Non-normal selections to use as exploration vehicle.

A lot of people think you have to have "THIS vehicle with THOSE parts to do THAT trip"

Doc_

Sammich!
Low budget "quality" builds are always a great idea. Another option would be Oddity/Non-normal selections to use as exploration vehicle.

A lot of people think you have to have "THIS vehicle with THOSE parts to do THAT trip"

Exactly! I'd been stuck in that self-gatekeeping mindset for years until I just started taking my little 2WD T100 out and enjoying it. So what if I didn't have the fancy RTT? I have a $300 camper shell and a sleeping bag. My backpacking stove heats up chow just fine and my come-along winch gets me unstuck pretty easily. I'd love to just encourage people to do the best they can with the gear and skills that they have and have as much fun in the process as possible.

CJMACK

Not sure how important it is that you have a lot of followers or views, but I’m pretty sure that regular and frequent uploading of new content is a huge part of driving people to your channel. I think 2 videos per month is at the low end of what would work.

Having said that, the topic seems very appealing. I’d watch!

Doc_

Sammich!
Not sure how important it is that you have a lot of followers or views, but I’m pretty sure that regular and frequent uploading of new content is a huge part of driving people to your channel. I think 2 videos per month is at the low end of what would work.
I get where you're coming from there, I've been doing weekly uploads on my backpacking channel, and it takes a lot to drive in content. I just don't know if I can swing the time right now, but I'm hopeful that as my editing skills improve I can stitch things together faster.

Having said that, the topic seems very appealing. I’d watch!
Awesome! I'm happy for all the positive responses.

Unfortunately, I tend to by my own works critic and it can be pretty debilitating. This kind of positive feedback is the encouragement I needed.
As of this weekend, I've created an intro clip to get everything launched.
Baby steps.

jgallo1

Adventurer
I am fully backing this.
I actually messaged Scott Brady a few months back and mentioned something along these lines for his podcast. I love a really beautiful build but not all of us can put or want to put 50k+ into our vehicles. It would be great to see breakdowns of daily drivers with more basic setups like a shell and sleeping platform, just upgraded shocks and solid AT tire. It seems hard to find the middle ground lately. I either watch diy videos on youtube, which remind me of high school (when you would basically put hockey pucks and the biggest mud tire you could find on your truck). I am watching people setup rigs to live in that they sold their house to build. I look forward to the progress,

Doc_

Sammich!
I am fully backing this.
I actually messaged Scott Brady a few months back and mentioned something along these lines for his podcast. I love a really beautiful build but not all of us can put or want to put 50k+ into our vehicles. It would be great to see breakdowns of daily drivers with more basic setups like a shell and sleeping platform, just upgraded shocks and solid AT tire. It seems hard to find the middle ground lately. I either watch diy videos on youtube, which remind me of high school (when you would basically put hockey pucks and the biggest mud tire you could find on your truck). I am watching people setup rigs to live in that they sold their house to build. I look forward to the progress,
Thanks!
That's exactly what I want to do. These were the kind of builds that we saw all the time on this forum 5-6 years ago, and I really would love to demonstrate alternatives to high-dollar popular mods.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Please also include blue collar guys making nice overlanders using newish trucks on a tight budget as well.

Sometimes payments on a new Rubicon is better than constant repairs on an olde 4runner. I'd love to overland in a classic 1986 f350 with a 460. But I only get to overland one week at a time up to 5 times a year. Not constantly wrenching is priceless.

jgallo1

Adventurer
On this topic, I just picked up a fun new project. 1987 Toyota pickup with a 22re. one owner truck with 106k. The paint is in perfect condition. Needs a few things, b/c it sat for awhile. Suspension is sagging,carpet has a stain or two, timing chain upgrade with metal guides,spark plugs etc.. A friend of mine found and told me about it. Getting it shipped down to me within the next week or so. I will start a build page for it. It will be very mellow build, going to keep it virtually stock.

Doc_

Sammich!
Please also include blue collar guys making nice overlanders using newish trucks on a tight budget as well.

Sometimes payments on a new Rubicon is better than constant repairs on an olde 4runner. I'd love to overland in a classic 1986 f350 with a 460. But I only get to overland one week at a time up to 5 times a year. Not constantly wrenching is priceless.

That's a really great point that I'd overlooked. I can get behind that, I do have a bias towards older vehicles and I need to overcome that if I really want to celebrate the spirit of this idea.

On this topic, I just picked up a fun new project. 1987 Toyota pickup with a 22re. one owner truck with 106k. The paint is in perfect condition. Needs a few things, b/c it sat for awhile. Suspension is sagging,carpet has a stain or two, timing chain upgrade with metal guides,spark plugs etc.. A friend of mine found and told me about it. Getting it shipped down to me within the next week or so. I will start a build page for it. It will be very mellow build, going to keep it virtually stock.
That's awesome! The dual-row tchain with metal guides will make that engine bulletproof!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
For an example: A friend of mine has an excellent, and dirt cheap Ramcharger that we're all envious of. Every time a part failed, it was improved. One ton locked axles, stroker long block, better radiator, short headers, were all eventually added, one after another.

Another friend wanted to copy that. After finding a few rust free donors, Super Duty junk yard axles, and a fresh engine........it was far cheaper to buy a 2010 F350 RCLB, with low mileage, and all of the mods that the Ramcharger had, OEM stock. Just add lockers and gears.

jgallo1

Adventurer
That's a really great point that I'd overlooked. I can get behind that, I do have a bias towards older vehicles and I need to overcome that if I really want to celebrate the spirit of this idea.

That's awesome! The dual-row tchain with metal guides will make that engine bulletproof!
ordered it yesterday ?

Doc_

Sammich!
Not off-road or even Toyota-related, but some behind the scenes of my first attempt at shooting: proper paint on the cheap with my wife's commuter acting as a victim.
Things are happening.
FnCmqd7.jpg[\img]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne