VMI Offroad Trailer Registry... and support group.

fireball

Explorer
Are these guys still around and producing trailers?

They were doing some neat stuff but their website hasn’t been updated in awhile and no FB postings since March.

IM1RU

Observer
Are these guys still around and producing trailers?

They were doing some neat stuff but their website hasn’t been updated in awhile and no FB postings since March.

I spoke to Mike's wife not too long ago. Said they were redoing their website. So as far as I know, yes they are. I'd just give them a ring.

Mpl1978

I just picked up a new to me vmi explorer. For being built in 2013, this thing looks brand new.

Attachments

• 08624288-033C-46CD-8B72-AEBB58F4616D.jpeg
    08624288-033C-46CD-8B72-AEBB58F4616D.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 27

Msbaugh

Would love to look into one of these trailers. It looks like the prices have increased considerably since this thread started.

Can Anyone tell me if these guys are still working on these? Have there been any improvements to their lead time or suspension system? Looking for more Australian type Offroad capability but really like what I’ve seen on these trailers. Heard too many take your money and run stories for these small shops though, so I’d like to know i would be in good hands.

IM1RU

Observer
I texted Mike on March 19th to send him photo's of a camp site.... He sent me back photo's of their current trailers they were building.

I don't know where they are doing their advertising if any, but it sure appeared to me that they were still producing,and making some pretty fine upgrades.

VMI Xtender

We are working on getting the new and improved website for VMI Offroad up and running, but with everything that has been happening over the last half of year that process has been delayed. We are still in business and still producing expedition trailers and vehicle conversions. The new Summit series trailers have taken over our lineup and come fully outfitted and ready to hit the road and or trail right out of the shop doors.

Attachments

• ALPINE SUMMIT CONVERTIBLE DINETTE.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT CONVERTIBLE DINETTE.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 80
  • ALPINE SUMMIT GALLEY 1.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT GALLEY 1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 75
  • ALPINE SUMMIT GALLEY 2.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT GALLEY 2.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 75
  • ALPINE SUMMIT LOFT BEDROOM RAISE.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT LOFT BEDROOM RAISE.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 74
  • ALPINE SUMMIT UPPER LOFT BEDROOM.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT UPPER LOFT BEDROOM.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 79
  • ALPINE SUMMIT TRUCK AND TRAILER.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT TRUCK AND TRAILER.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Alpine Summit Deployed.jpg
    Alpine Summit Deployed.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 86
  • ALPINE SUMMIT HEAD 1.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT HEAD 1.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 73
  • ALPINE SUMMIT HEAD 2.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT HEAD 2.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 67

VMI Xtender

Here are some more photos of the new VMI Offroad Alpine Summit trailers

Attachments

• ALPINE SUMMIT ROOF DOWN.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT ROOF DOWN.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ALPINE SUMMIT ROOF UP.jpg
    ALPINE SUMMIT ROOF UP.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 78

Msbaugh

Here are some more photos of the new VMI Offroad Alpine Summit trailers

these things look INCREDIBLE. I have a baby on the way and will need something just like this next year if I aim to continue my current lifestyle. I am looking particularly at comparing the Canyon and the Alpine models (only two that would fit in my garage) and would like to understand various options and features as well as how the features affect price point between those two models. What is the best way to get in touch with you to get as much information as I can? Can you share an email or is the number on your website the best way to Get a conversation going? I brochure with all available features and price adders for these two models would be very useful!

tjsean0308

these things look INCREDIBLE. I have a baby on the way and will need something just like this next year if I aim to continue my current lifestyle. I am looking particularly at comparing the Canyon and the Alpine models (only two that would fit in my garage) and would like to understand various options and features as well as how the features affect price point between those two models. What is the best way to get in touch with you to get as much information as I can? Can you share an email or is the number on your website the best way to Get a conversation going? I brochure with all available features and price adders for these two models would be very useful!

Call or email is the way to go. They are a company of about 5 people, as of 2017 when I got my trailer. They are all super busy building these trailers. So that means responses can be slow for general questions. I’m overall very happy with the trailer. I’ve had a few issues with stuff like the bearings on the Timbren hubs. One had the inner race crack and send the fragment through the dust cover. The axle seals both failed as well allowing grease into the brake shoes and drum.

I also had some cracking on the awning uprights. Easy repair with a couple pieces of flat stock and a local TIG guy.

That’s been it in 3 years of heavy use.

I’d skip the smittybuilt tent and go with something with a bit better build quality if I was doing it over. It’s been fine, but just fine, not a great tent.

The awning supports cracking are really the only VMI issue I’ve had. The rest is all out of their hands.

I’ve made a few other little tweaks like adding a light in the rear compartment, a third under chassis light and other small things for my specific uses.

The next thing I’ll look for is a more outdoor oriented stove solution. The Dometic sink combo doesn’t handle wind very well, but I haven’t been able to find a better option and the location is pretty perfect on the trailer.

116085b51200db918aca87f26a65a604.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles