Tundra TRD Pro for first overland vehicle?

dtul

Hi guys, first post on here. My job has transitioned to a fully remote role and I'm considering living on the road full-time after my lease is up later this year.

At first I was considering a Class B RV, but feel a 4x4 truck with a pop-up truck camper fits my lifestyle better. I think what I'm looking for is a full-size, reliable and capable truck from the factory that can easily carry a small truck camper.

My research so far makes me think a lightly used Tundra TRD Pro may be the best option. My reasoning is I don't want to make a huge investment upfront without knowing if this is the lifestyle for me and the TRD Pro seems like the most capable overland truck out-of-the-box, without the need for major modifications, while also having the ability to tote around a small pop-up camper. I'm thinking bigger tires would likely be the only thing I'd need to chnage since I wouldn't plan to go too far off the beaten path at first.

Is this a reasonable assumption about the Tundra? Are there other options I should consider? Basically to start out I'm looking for a reliable and capable truck from the factory that can easily carry a small truck camper, but that I can resell without much trouble if this ends up not being for me.

To add, I'm also considering newer F250s and RAM 2500s, but I feel like I'd need to invest more upfront with those to feel comfortable taking them offroad and I'd like to keep the truck somewhat mod-free initially in case this isn't for me and I resell it again. If this sort of lifestyle suits me I'll probably eventually go all-in on an older OBS F250/F350 or 2nd gen Ram with the 5.9L, but would rather keep things simple to start off.

Thanks in advance!

rruff

Explorer
the TRD Pro seems like the most capable overland truck out-of-the-box

It's the most capable stock Tundra. You could make a more capable one by taking a cheaper model and adding $3k in suspension upgrades. Not that you'd need to do that. And I think any of the other 4wd trucks would be just as good, and some models better. For instance there are F150 variants that have high payload from the factory.

For your situation it would be nice to have a little bigger and better tires, decent skids, and beefed up suspension. No need to go crazy. Will the camper live on the truck all or most of the time?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The Premium cost the Trd "Pros" bring is simply a waste of money is most instances.

I agree with @rruff 100%

You'd be much better off starting with a cheaper model and doing the suspension yourself.

I've seen this a million times. The idea is always, start stock and "I'm not going to build it much" but its like a sickness, a good sickness! Within a couple years, its you're everything! :)

Almost every single "Pro" you'll come across built up for even the most mild build outs has had the suspension replaced, hence removing the only "Pro" performance feature that you initially paid extra money for.

Having owned Toyotas my entire life, and owned almost one of every model, including 2 Tundras, one with a FWC. I'd say they arent the ideal platform to start with.

Theyre bulletproof reliable, but the MPG just straight up sucks compared to dang near everything else on the market.

I recently sold my Tundra for a Ram with the Cummins, and even on 40" tires, im averaging 16mpg. Tundra loaded with camper, i averaged 9-10.

Also worth noting. A lot of folks jump on the CrewMax bandwagon for "more room" and basically end up with a shorter, not ideal smaller bed. Take the time to sit in the back of both the CrewMax and the Double Cab. The back seat room is very similar, the double cab area just looks a ton smaller because of the door design, but inside, there isnt much difference. Highly recommend going with the double cab and a real bed.

You'll often see CrewMax for sale with "Need more room" in the sale ad. You literally never see longer beds for sale mentioned "Need less space" just saying! :)

My .02

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
I agree the TRD pro isn't with the upcharge. I like my Tundra but in hindsight I would have bought a gas 3/4 ton. They get the same mpgs as a Tundra but have another 2000lbs of payload rating. They will handle a pop up better. A lot of F250s have factory rear lockers. A lot of Toyota guys have gone to Ram 2500s for a reason.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I agree the TRD pro isn't with the upcharge. I like my Tundra but in hindsight I would have bought a gas 3/4 ton. They get the same mpgs as a Tundra but have another 2000lbs of payload rating. They will handle a pop up better. A lot of F250s have factory rear lockers. A lot of Toyota guys have gone to Ram 2500s for a reason.

Exactly this!! Correct on all accounts.

I’ve been a die hard Toyota guy my entire life but they just simply haven’t kept up with the competition as far as MPG, Payload, etc... not even close actually

I never thought I’d own a Domestic 4x4 ever, and now here I am. So far, over the moon happy with it too

phsycle

Adventurer
Truck pop up camper, ie FWC, forget 1/2 tons. Go straight to 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

I *may* consider a 1/2 ton if you’re going for an ultralight camper (FWC makes one that’s under 1k lbs), but it would be a spartan set up ideal for weekend campers. If you’re living out of it full time, forget it. Get a decent, comfortable set up.

Resale, trucks have always sold well in the US. Always in demand.

Try to find one with a camper already to save some cash.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
X3 on the upgrade to a F250 or 2500 and X100000 on the TRD pro being lame for the price tag.....

Here's another thought- During this nomadic lifestyle you will definitely want a 3/4 ton truck but if you end up not liking it and go back to living in an apt/condo/house, a 1/2 ton truck like an F150 or tundra would be a more practical vehicle to have over a 3/4 ton truck unless you have a need for a bigger truck, which doesn't sound like you do. So, if part of your worry is cost, factor in living with a 3/4 truck 2 years from now and if that's something you'll want to do.

My Ford Guy opinion- an F150 with the higher end payload package (known as HDPP), extended cab, 6.5 bed, 5.0 engine and FX4 package- you literally cant go wrong with that and it will beat a tundra all day long for what you're trying to accomplish. The only thing that the Tundra would win at between the two is resale value.

Or, F250.

Like stated above, Toyota is great and extremely reliable but their trucks are outdated and under powered.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
Replies so far have brought up a lot of great points. The Tundra TRD Pro, usually has a lower carrying capacity than say the Offroad version, which is important if you put a camper on the back. Domestic 1/2 ton (properly setup) and 3/4 ton will let you carry a whole lot more camper. And yes, my Tundra was terrible on gas mileage, especially when towing. I definitely would suggest going used on both truck and camper until you can figure out what works best for you. Definitely look at the actual stick on vehicle to determine its carrying capacity, leave yourself plenty of margin to carry all your gear. You will see some big campers on Tundra's out there, but I would wager that they are over carrying capacity. If you are going to full time, you need to also consider safety. When buying a "stock" truck, I would suggest tire upgrade as your first upgrade if that is all you can afford right off the bat. My OffRoad version Tundra, even with stock tires was quite capable, but I have been wheeling for 40+ years as well. Good luck.

rruff

Explorer
You will see some big campers on Tundra's out there, but I would wager that they are over carrying capacity.

I saw a DC long like mine with an enormous camper on it. I young guy and his wife were living in it and running their business out of it. He said they camped in the woods most of the time when they weren't at an event, so a good amount of dirt road driving anyway. I'm sure it was 3,000 lbs over GVWR, at least. I asked him how the truck handled all that weight. He said," It's fine... way better since we got the airbags." Doh! Yes, I bet riding on the bumpstops was not very comfortable...

Another thing about ordering a domestic, is being able to spec a higher gear ratio if you'll be hauling weight and running bigger tires. Can't do that with a Tundra. I knew all this and bought a Tundra anyway, but there are tradeoffs for sure.

dtul

Dang, super glad I asked on here! You guys brought up some great things to consider, looks like the TRD probably isn't the way to go afterall. Most of the campers I'm looking at are on the lighter side, but they'd still be pushing the payload of the Tundra when loaded. Looks like a 3/4 ton is probably going to be the best option and would allow a lot more options for campers. I'll need to do more research into the various packages on the F250 and Ram 2500, I'm thinking an F250 with the FX4 package may be worth a much deeper look and whatever similar packages Dodge offers.

Thank you all!

jadmt

ignore button user
If I were full timing it I don't think I would go with a pop up camper. If were full timing I would cough up the money for a nicer one of course that would mean a 1 ton at minimum. If full timing it you are going to be loaded a lot more than you think. I think I would still go with the class B RV especially if doing a lot of moving around as mpg will be far better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94