Tent Decision

kass

Hey all. Could use some help buying a tent. I have a smaller Mountain Hardwear, but looking for a 4P tent for upcoming trips with friends.

Mainly deciding between the Marmot Tungsten Ultralight 4P and the MSR Zoic 4P. If you have experience with either brand, I would love to hear what you think. Thanks!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Both Marmot and MSR make great tents.

If you are looking at those, be sure to add BigAgnes to your list.
Our current tent is a BigAgnes Copper Spur HV. Im impressed.

towee

I have the tungsten 2 person it’s my river camping tent And I really like it. Bang for your buck they’re hard to beat. I think what you pay for above the tungsten is weight savings and if you arent counting ounces I think the most important things are features vs cost.

pluton

Adventurer
Marmot had a spell in the mid-2010's where the waterproof coating on the fly/tent bottom went bad in ≈3 years. They replaced the 2 tents without hassle(except having to wait about 6 months to receive the replacement). The replacement units are haven't failed yet, so maybe they've solved that issue.

Superduty

Adventurer
I am not familiar with those two tents. I have a Big Agnes that I am pleased with. One thing I like is a tent that uses DAC poles and one that uses clips instead of having to thread the poles through a sleeve on the tent.

SnoRnR

Another shout out for Big Agnes. Good value and plenty of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are both 6p tents but one is kind of small.

North Face Wawona Tent(kind of small)
I love the North Face Wawona tent. It is on sale at BackCountry dot com this week. It is not the biggest tent for 6p so I think it would be perfect for 4. It handles the wind and the rain beautifully. It is easy and fast to setup and take down. The vestibule is attached. It has nice little pockets. Great tent. It fits 3 cots in it easily. It will not fit 4 cots unless you put someone in the vestibule.

Nemo Wagontop 6
This is a good tent as well.. it has a much bigger feel than the wawona.. It has a vestibule and a front area. I think it could easily fit 4 cots but have not tried it out with 4 cots... It has a lot of headroom .. if you are tall you will love this. It holds up in the rain but I am not thrilled with the windows.. they open from the inside and even though ours did not leak water.. I think this could easily happen. This tent is a great purchase but I feel that the Wawona is just a little bit better made tent.. although this tent is a lot bigger. I am short and I have a harder time setting up the Wagontop.

My sweetie likes the Wagontop and I like the Wawona. They are both nice tents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier